Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #16
jebas
is losing it slowly

Jeff Baskin
Technical Support
Atlanta, USA

Quote:
I think this stripclub owner was just trying out a loophole although it is a pretty good idea. At Art School we had a lot of models who weren't really physically fit. I wonder how they'd feel if I turned up at Spearmint Rhinos with a sketchpad ?

Surprisingly, I can answer that question. Several years back, a friend of mine was having a traditional bachelor party at a downtown strip club. I thought to myself, why waste the opportunity, so I brought my sketch pad. When I got to the door, I asked the bouncer if it was it was okay. He told me if anyone complains, I had to put it away. I really did not have a problem with that, so I followed my friends inside.

Naturally they were making a lot of noise and started drinking. Since I don't drink (thus making me everyone's ride home), I found myself looking for something else to when one of the drinking games got started. I asked for one of the dancers to come over, paid for a table dance, and asked her to sit still. When the time was up, she asked for the picture, and I gave it to her. That was the last thing I paid for that evening.

Now before you start thinking that I am some wonderful artist, I must let you know that my speed sketching skills suck. One of the reasons I have never been able to do artwork at a professional level is because I am to freaking slow. Additionally, that was some of the worst conditions to draw in. The place was to dark, and lights were flashing from every direction. I was feeling lucky if I got something that looked like the person sitting in front of me.

I must have produced something she liked because she showed her coworkers, and we began having dancers ask if the artist was at this table. I was getting more attention than my friend that was getting married. My friends didn't seem to mind, it just became part of the party. I think they liked the fact that girls were fighting to get to our table, and I admit that my ego swelled a little that night as well.

The next day, my arm cramped so bad that I could not pick up a pencil. It had been, and still is, the most work that I have ever put out at one time. I can't say that any of it was any good because the conditions were terrible. However, if you are depressed about your artwork and want an appreciative audience, a strip bar might be the place to go.

Hey, weird things happen to me.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #17
Milho
Snu-Snu-Master

portfolio
Blazej Floch
Student of life
Freelance Compositor
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Milho Send a message via AIM to Milho Send a message via MSN to Milho
Good one, a friends is getting married soon, if it'll be a strip club we go to I'll try it

Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #18
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula_assassina
Humans are, indeed, very amusing.

Amen...it's like putting spiders in the girls locker room...Blast...nobody heard that! You hear me! I'll drag you all to court...YOU HEAR...
modelling practice #1

Old 04-07-2005, 06:44 PM   #19
Milho
Snu-Snu-Master

portfolio
Blazej Floch
Student of life
Freelance Compositor
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Milho Send a message via AIM to Milho Send a message via MSN to Milho
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein
Amen...it's like putting spiders in the girls locker room...Blast...nobody heard that! You hear me! I'll drag you all to court...YOU HEAR...

I am eyewitness.....I mean I was watching if nobody puts spiders in there.... It was for their own protection, really! ^_^

This reminds me of city hunter by Hojo Tsukasa, first manga, where he claims he goes to this "club" only to get information about the underworld.... haha we go there just to study anatomy, REAAAALLLY :P

Old 04-08-2005, 05:29 AM   #20
EvilGnome
Frequenter

portfolio
Matt van Rooijen
Animation Director/Animator/Concept Artist
MKvR Productions
Hobart, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonik
I think this stripclub owner was just trying out a loophole although it is a pretty good idea. At Art School we had a lot of models who weren't really physically fit. I wonder how they'd feel if I turned up at Spearmint Rhinos with a sketchpad ?

Larger people can be great to draw! Theres something nice about making large round gestures on a big piece of paper/canvas that's great fun.

Experiencing and portraying the wide variety of human forms is an artistic challenge, and a good reminder that humanity comprises of more than the limited images of beauty we're bombarded with in the media and movies.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #21
Tonik
Know-it-All

portfolio
Tom Clive
System Analyst/Artist
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Tonik
You're right EvilGnome it was a learning and creative experience but as you said there's a huge variety of people out there and the models we had were all the same type. Drawing the type you'd find in a stripclub would add to the variety of different shapes I'd sketched. (Do I sound convincing yet?)

Old 04-08-2005, 12:17 PM   #22
slaughters
Put the Doo in Doofuss !

portfolio
Stan Slaughter
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonik
...(Do I sound convincing yet?)
Sounds good enough to run by your Art teacher. Field Trip !

Old 04-08-2005, 12:17 PM   #23
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread