Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #16
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Yes - 2D is here to stay. So is cel-art, CG animation, Stop-Motion, Flash, etc.

For time being, though - 3D is the most popular. Something to do with the fact that it is still new to the world. Given time, it will lose interest.

Tell ya, what - have you ever heard of the "imaginary number" called 'i'? Well, its supposed to represent the squared-root of -1. Problem is, this calculation cannot be done - you cannot find the square-root of negative numbers! But still, mathematicans write 'i' in their expressions to represent it anyway, thus allowing them to carry on with their sums...sort of.

So, how about this - a new form of animation( lets call it 'i', for we don't know what it is! ) will arrive in 10+ years time, and then let us ask a new question - "What will happen to 3D/CGI now that 'i' is here?".

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 04-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #17
nerdyneo

thanks for your views,

i am quite young (16), and i just wanted your opinoins, so sorry if the thread offened any of you

but thankyou for some useful replys

>joe

Old 04-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #18
Cerebr4l
Mind's Eye

portfolio
David LaRocca
Digital Artist
Birmingham, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Cerebr4l
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuilder
Just from an economy viewpoint, a great many still images are easier to produce in 2d than in 3d.

I dunno about that^ I'm a professional 2D artist as well as a professional 3D artist and in the long run 3D is more economical than 2D. I'm not saying that because I'm biased towards 3D, I actually enjoy 2D work 10x more.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #19
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Well you could have asked how 3d will affect 2d but would come out at the same place so,.....

Cars affected the use of horses.
Not everybody owns a horse and stables are not as numerous as pump stations.

Cameras affected commercial illustration.
Not everyone is going to wait a year for a painting.

3D has affected 2d, one example would be engineering CAD drawings of all sorts of industrial situations are better and more effectively calculated and represented by one 3D app than an army of draughtsman in a far shorter timespan. I know I actually studied mechanical drawing in the olden days.

However 3d does make enormous use of 2d in actual production and as a concept tool a simple sketch on a napkin can mean the differance between make or break. The depth and power of the crafted or drawn line will never diminish. At the moment I see the 2 with different titles but heavily interlocked. The role of 2d will change as 3d will, but die it never shall,... just change it's face like it always has.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #20
DrFx
Bloodlust

portfolio
Carlos Félix
3d generalist
Open University
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DrFx
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyneo
thanks for your views,

i am quite young (16), and i just wanted your opinoins, so sorry if the thread offened any of you

but thankyou for some useful replys

>joe

nothing wrong with asking, and you're the right age to be asking this, you probably have to make up your mind about what you want to do profesionally in the future. It's just people tend to react to these threads like there's some feud going on.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:58 PM   #21
CodeNothing
Arrr!

portfolio
Adam Richards
Concept Artist/ Illustrator
Double Helix
Ontario, USA

LOL, artists are a touchey bunch arnt they?

but to answer the question, no, 3D will not replace 2D because they were never and will never be in competition of one another.

They are just mediums. It all ends up an image in the end. The way you get from "Idea" to "Image" is a journey every artist needs to decide on for himself. for example...

Idea: I want to make a space ship scene.

2D approach: I sketch out thumbnails, pick one i like, build a rough draft. Make i final inking of the image, then color it with paint or photoshop. It looks good, but the textures and lighting effects probably would look better (and be done faster) in 3D....

3D approach: No time for thumbnails, thats for those stinki'n 2D guys. I just go right into building my spaceship. The ship ends up looking kind of funky, but these textures and cool lighting effects will make it look better... There done.

The BEST way to do things is 2D and 3D. Take the 2D for the design process. Its quick and flexible. Then once you have a finalised image decide if you want a 3D or 2D look to it.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:39 AM   #22
DyslexicDan
Geek and part time Nerd

portfolio
Drew Larson
Wisconsin, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeNothing

They are just mediums.

Said vary well

Old 04-06-2005, 12:39 AM   #23
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread