Learn to draw proper

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2005   #16
I thought i was the only one with that problem...

Old 03 March 2005   #17
I was 19 when I "began" to really learn how to draw.

I'm 20 now, and I consider myself to draw pretty good. Not professionally, but still good enough to conceptualize my ideas.

My solution was to find something that inspires me when the road gets touch.

Old 04 April 2005   #18
Yes you can learn, but keep in mind that the Gnomon DVD guys have been drawing and painting for 25+ years. If learning to draw were a 3 month course and a DVD rental, everyone would be an incredible artist.

Every begining artist wants to know the "secret" that will make everything easy. There must be some tecnique or trick that artists dont tell anyone.

but there is no magic bullet. No top secret knowlage passed down by artists. The only thing i can offer that comes close is Dont fall into bad habbits. Take art classes, and listen to the teacher. Dont think "well i have a better way" or "well ill just do things in MY style". Thats the biggest set back i see in art students. Learn all tecniques and try to mimic every style.

besides that, just hard practice. Draw/paint for at least 30 minutes a day and in a year with some help from mentors you will be about average skill level here on CG talk. Work REALY hard and in as little as 4 years i dont doubt you could have one of your works in the choice gallery here. but it all depends on how much you practice, and more importantly, how well you LISTEN to mentors.

Old 04 April 2005   #19
SPECCY STEVE - THANK YOU!!!

the post about MindCandyMan is the most awesome inspiration I have ever found.
This guy has to be an inspiration to all.

I want to be a 3d animator, but I will follow in his footsteps - if he can go from Decaprio to Davinci I can be a 3d god!!

Strive to be perfect...you may not reach perfection but you become better than you hoped for.

Old 04 April 2005   #20
I've only started to take my sketching seriously in the last 3 months, drawing every opportunity I get. I've made a massive improvment just from observing and drawing every day. I date all my sketches and cringe at stuff I did a fortnight ago, which means I must be getting better somewhere along the line!

Old 04 April 2005   #21
Originally Posted by SpeccySteve: Check this thread.
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sh...ht=mindcandyman

awesome...

I gotta say I have only recently made my first couple of drawings with more than one colour. Loads of fun but bound to be embarassing.(I'm 25 now)

seeing the results in that thread have made me reconsider to become very serious about getting my shit/bagage/knowledge up to speed.

All those anatomy drawings! Very heplpful stuff!
modelling practice #1

Old 04 April 2005   #22
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein: (I'm 25 now)

Bah, I'm 26 and you're a far better drawer than me!

Old 04 April 2005   #23
Originally Posted by noShame: Hello all.

Am 19 years old, and I cant draw sh*t but I would like to be able to draw like the leading concept artists. I am aware of that it takes practice and that they have been drawing for many years, heres my question. Do you believe that anybody can learn to draw?

Everybody can draw, we are born with it.

Quote: Is it too late for me to start lerning now, when I am 19? I believe that nobody is born to draw, some have better imagination then others, but isnt the ability to draw just like to speak or write? Or is it something in the great artists genes / brain that others dont have?

Only thing you have missed out on is the passion to draw. Some people are born with this and do it from year zero, not only that they keep hard at it until they drop so you wont overtake them.

Quote: If it isnt something you are born with, a talent. If it is generated by trial and error, does everybody have equal chance in getting good at drawing, no matter age? For example, if I would start to learn a foren language at this age, i wouldnt be able to learn it as quick/good as i would when i was about 10, do you think its the same with drawing? Many of the good artists have been drawing at young ages, is it harder to learn to draw when one is 15+?

Good is very subjective. If Michelangelo tried to emulate Dr Zuess it probably wouldn't be funny at all. You will have your own style but if you want to compete with talented concept artists you are going to have to work very hard. If you find your own nich then that will be easier.

Quote: As i sead, i am 19 years old and my drawing skills are limited. I understand the basics of drawing, the propotions and perspectives, and it looks so easy when feng and the others at gnomons concept videos does it, but when i start drawing lines on the paper everything goes wrong. The propotions are messed up, the perspective is wrong, line quality really bad etc. Do I have any chance in learning to draw properly, in 1,5,10 years? Or should I just give up since iv started this late and just admire those who really can draw.

Its never too late but remeber that while you are getting better they are also. Seeing your stuff is wrong is very important it means you have a good eye. Try it you have nothing to loose. Get books and practice.

Good luck man have fun!

Old 04 April 2005   #24
Originally Posted by erilaz: Bah, I'm 26 and you're a far better drawer than me!

I did keep dabbling in high school, it stuck I think. Thanks!
modelling practice #1

Old 04 April 2005   #25
For the best course on how to draw,
http://www.saveloomis.org/index.html
(it's in the sticky Art Theory thread)

Old 04 April 2005   #26
I can definately empathize with trying to jump into drawing...
Speaking from personal experience, in learning any skill, especially drawing, each person has a certain amount of innate ability (be it very great or very little), but what really determines your eventual ability is how hard you apply yourself.
I've been trying to explain this to people for years. I grew up half blind, dyslexic to the point of being incapable of signing my own name, with no innate talents whatsoever, and pretty much a completely useless lump of a person. By my sophomore year in highschool I had picked up, mastered, and discarded a couple dozen artistic hobbies, had been reading at a college level since I was nine, was tutoring the seniors in my physics class, designing earthquake proof skyscrapers and bridges that in miniature could hold 3000 times their own weight, was running most of a theater production by myself, and taking two martial arts.
Why? Because I wasn't satisfied with being a useless lump. So here I am, not too much later at age 17, most of the way through my first semester of college, doing better than most people in my foundation drawing classes, but still noone seems to understand I have absolutely NO innate talent, but what I do have is the drive to succeed anyway. And for the most part, I'm doing so!

Old 04 April 2005   #27
this one works, maybe not as basic, but its ok -> http://www.learn-to-draw.com/

Old 04 April 2005   #28
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread