Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #1
Kickflipkid687
Art and Music are Life

portfolio
Matthew Lichy%2B
3D Artist
United%2BStates

Send a message via AIM to Kickflipkid687 Send a message via MSN to Kickflipkid687
Have ideas, but cant draw or model them..

Hi,

I always have ideas that I want to 3d model or draw out, liek characters or something, but then when I attempt to draw them out so i can use as a reference when modeling it looks like total crap and I get mad and give up... Anyone have any ideas what I could do to keep myself going or something. I always do this, and I hate it.

Matt

Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 AM   #2
percydaman
VRay enthusiast

jack thompson
USA

close your eyes and imagine them in as much detail as you can. Then transmit to paper... Repeat as needed... Learning to concentrate is important...

Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 AM   #3
badbreff
Veteran
portfolio
Christopher Sklenarik
USA

Send a message via AIM to badbreff Send a message via MSN to badbreff
Sometimes it just takes ALOT of time to go from idea to sketch even. You make the basic outline which looks like a scribble, and start fixing it up area by area until you have a better sketch, rince and repeat.

At least that's how I do it, and I usually have to work through 5 to 10 scribbles until I get it down a way I like to progress even further.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:22 AM   #4
pongball
Frequenter

Matt, give this a go:

1. Buy a small inexpensive sketchbook w/a hardcover that you can take about

2. Pick basic 2d shapes (square, triangle, ellipse, circle, rectangle, etc) and draw them in 3d, at any angle. Do this for 10 pages straight. Do not combine any of the shapes, just draw each form in every angle possible using 1pt, 2pt, and 3pt perspective (do not attempt 4, 5, or 6 point perspective, they're rarely used, leave those to extremely advanced things).

3. Now for the rest of the sketchbook, i want you to combine the shapes in every way imaginable, as complex as you want. You can 1)add forms 2)subtract forms 3)intersect forms, etc. Try doing wireframe type sketches for 10 pages, then move to simple solid forms for another 10 pages, then move to simple shaded for another 10 pages, etc.

This is simply an exercise in drawing that gets your mind working in 3 dimensions, so that when it comes time to draw your chr, your ship, your car, etc, you think in 3 dimensions, and visually projecting that becomes so much easier.
Happy drawing

Old 03-21-2005, 03:28 AM   #5
JDex
First Prime of Anistropic

portfolio
Jason Dexter
Lighting/Rendering/Pipeline TD
Freedom
Providence, USA

And if you do pongball's procedure (hehe... the Pongball Procedure, sonds dirty) the repetition alone will massively improve your control over the pencil to the point where you'll truly develop technique and in the few weeks it will take your drawing abilities will improve 10 fold or more... I have witenessed it myself.

On a VFX Hiatus

Old 03-21-2005, 04:47 AM   #6
erilaz
Stealthy Tea Monkey

portfolio
Martin Brennand
VFX Artist
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickflipkid687
it looks like total crap and I get mad and give up...
Matt

That's your problem right there. It IS going to look like total crap. It will look like total crap for a while. What you've got to realise is you've got to start somewhere, and that you've got to continue working on something even though you think it looks like crap. Giving up isn't going to make it look any less crap next time. You have to keep hammering out sketches until you're happy. It's a cliche, but practice does make perfect, and with sketching you have to practice all the time! Grab that sketchbook and take it everywhere with you, even to bed and the toilet. I've improved dramtically in the last 3 months just by sketching every opportunity I get. Even chatting with friends down at the pub, bring the sketchbook. They'll understand... eventually. My girlfriend finally gets it.

The most important thing is observation. Observe the real world, learn it's dimensions and weight, then apply that to your ideas. Like the technique suggested above, thinking in dimension and weight is the first step to great sketching.

Last edited by erilaz : 03-21-2005 at 04:49 AM.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
Kickflipkid687
Art and Music are Life

portfolio
Matthew Lichy%2B
3D Artist
United%2BStates

Send a message via AIM to Kickflipkid687 Send a message via MSN to Kickflipkid687
I feel much better now So all ur saying is that I have to get a notebook, take it all over with me, and just draw basic shapes alot at different perspectives,.shading,wireframe,combiniations, and I will be better? I will give it a try and start doing this alot over the course of a day for a week or so and see if it improves my drawing But, im not that good at shading or anything, so how will I know it if looks good, or how could i improve it? Also.. when i watch ppl draw in my cartooning class, I get discouraged because there drawings are so good and they can whip them out so fast, and it take me forever to think up a character and then it turns out bad cause i have to rush it and wasted to much time thinking.

Matt

Old 03-21-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
pongball
Frequenter

DO NOT look at what other students are doing. Create your own style, get references from the everyday world. Work on your sketchbook everyday for a year, and you can probably surpass them even without you knowing. As well, when you feel comfortable enough, buy an anatomy book and copy everything. Pay attention in figure drawing classes, where you'll learn to block out basic forms before you do anything. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
xcvbnm
Lord of the posts
portfolio
qwerty qwertyuiop
none
onen
Berlin, Germany

I guess you are going for complex things right from the start. So come down to simple things, that are simple to draw and then build on.
I agree with copying advice, and can't stress its importance enough. Copy the simple drawings often. Trace them, if you feel. Its learning process afterall. Get a childrens drawing book and start copying. Then get simple objects and start drawing as if you are copying.
I did it when I was lil kid. Practice made me decent, if not perfect

Dont try to draw whole thing, just the parts. Dont try to shade. Dont worry about proportions, just get the shapes right. Later on, you can merge it together and redraw it more accurately.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #10
Dave Black
Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
Dave Black
Lead Technical Artist
Firaxis Games
USA

Send a message via AIM to Dave Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by pongball
DO NOT look at what other students are doing. Create your own style...

I'd have to disagree with that somewhat. When you're first starting out, you have to focus on the basics. Anatomy, value, linework, composition, etc. Lots of life drawing and anatomy studies. You have build up a library in your head. Only after you have mastered these things can you really develope you own style. Actually, your style sorta follows naturally. Just give it time, don't give up, and keep your eyes on the goal. Everyone started out like this. Just know that the only thing that stands between you and your artistic goals is practice, dedication, and determination.

-Dave

Old 03-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #11
sonicstrawbery

Yeah the word is Practice Practice Practice ! and of course Love of what you do !

Life drawing is very good because it will improve your imagination, i really think that when you got a good technique and a good sense of observation your imagination is much better because you got much more self-assurance and you're sure of your lines !

Go on and never stop, i usually do 2-3 hr/day drawing since 2 months and it begins to come, trust me, everybody can become a very good drawer/modeler !

Last edited by cipher : 03-21-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #12
MattClary
LightWave Loyalist
portfolio
Matt Clary
Hobbyist
Tallahassee, Fl., USA

Practice your modelling skills with tutorials and such. Drawing in a 3D app is more closely related to drafting than drawing, consider taking a drafting/CAD class. I know many here might disagree, but in drafting you draw an object in an isometric view. When modeling in a 3D app, you draw the object and let the program worry about the perspective.

Now:
Practice modelling with tutorials and such. Practice modelling with tutorials and such. Practice modelling with tutorials and such. Practice modelling with tutorials and such. Practice modelling with tutorials and such.

Experiment with some original work, when that fails:

Practice modelling with tutorials and such. Practice modelling with tutorials and such. Practice modelling with tutorials and such.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
Dave Black
Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
Dave Black
Lead Technical Artist
Firaxis Games
USA

Send a message via AIM to Dave Black
I still feel like learning to model before learning to draw is a sure-fire way to become frustrated, apathetic, and stuck. Modeling is just sculpture. Sculpture is drawing in 3d. If you can't draw what you want to sculpt, then chances are, you won't be able to make anything worthy of note.

Yes, there are many who are great modelers but can't draw worth poop, but IMHO, these people are the exception, not the rule. (flames sure to follow)

Advice:
Draw. Draw. Draw. There is no magic bullet, no special tool, button, or technique.

First learn the pencil. Then the brush. Then the polygon. You will suck at first, we all did, but trust us when we say you will get better. If you're dedicated, it can actually happen rather fast.

It's cool to learn the technical side of modeling, the methodologies, the software, and techniques...but do so along side a piece of paper and a pencil. Don't expect much at first.

Pencils are cheap, and so is paper. They require no batteries, are utterly portable, and do not require extensive patching to make useful.

I just recently bought a ream of copy paper, and filled every page(front and back) in a day. I can't tell you how much I learned.

My $.02. Take it with a grain of salt, but I wish this had occurred to me way early on, instead of spending years wondering why I sucked, and feeling like a failure. (and yes, I still suck, but my current suckage is of a much milder form, and is losing it's potency with every passing day.)

-Dave

Old 03-21-2005, 09:06 PM   #14
Nolan
Veteran

portfolio
Nolan T
Second Nature Ltd
Auckland, New Zealand

To follow up the method pongball suggested, there is a series of lessons available at awn.com from Glenn Vilppu that teaches drawing from the imagination.

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=...&article_no=573

Old 03-21-2005, 11:52 PM   #15
sjaak
Frequenter

portfolio
Sjaak
Animator
Netherlands

this was most helpfull, thanks

Thread Closed share thread