Do you have a condition that HELPS your art?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2005   #31
It takes me a long time to make decisions...I ponder and weight the pros and cons constantly, out of fear of making bad choices. That leads to lower confidence once the decision is made. This condition manifests itself in my sketches: I rarely have strong, bold lines. Every line looks "calculated" and intentional, lacking any emotion other than timidness.

I also notice right away the quirks everyone has in their gestural, facial and vocal qualities. I can impersonate people well, repeating and enhancing their distinct traits. Although this can lead to trouble with people, it makes great reference material for all the animated characters I have in mind!

Old 03 March 2005   #32
Depression.

Causes me to be introspective, which fuels a lot of emotion, which stimulates creativity. I don't recommend you try it though.

Old 03 March 2005   #33
Minor OCD a blessign and a curse really. Makes me pay attention to detail, btu sometimes not in the right area. = /

Old 03 March 2005   #34
Dyslexia (i can spell it.. yeahhh....)
Im not really bad. but bad enough to know that i should concerntrate on the things i am good at.
It is a condition that a lot of people see as someone who "cant" read... but its a bigger kettle of fish than that...
It actually helps me stay focused and apreciate what i can achieve.

Old 03 March 2005   #35
this is a great thread ...I confess

sanity... what is it really? do we not have to be slightly mad to work in this field? to make a quick check ask your mother to explain what you do... I usually get the: its not real, it doesnt exist.. my father recently told me that he awaiting the day they invent a machine that can spray out the paint on a canvas (he is a painter and meant it as a putdown..he hates computers)... failing to understand that we would need one of those hard to get infinitely large nano canvases in 3D... well how on earth do we navigate these chaosmachines called 3D programs? I think being a little crazy will only make the inflight experience and result better, im happy not to fall into the category of normal. I have slight OCD (germs), im manic and depressive at times (especially when under severe financial stress and 10.000+ km from my girlfriend, like right now). I can lose myself in details, its a hazard, but also an ability to dive deep into lets say the refractions of light hitting my eyelashes on a sunny day or the afterimage of the sun burned in on my retina, showing its hexagonal shape and multitude of colourgradients shifting over time. Im overwhelmed with emotions I have no clue where come from and often they translate into colours and shapes. this is what originally propelled me into 3D. Finally a medium that will allow for visual translation of my emotions. However I havent started creating those things yet, they are way to complex for my skilllevel as of now

oh and my girlfriend tells me that im a freak, I tell her the same...but its true. oh that was personal.. well what the heck. I hope im not scaring off potential employers one last thing and I wish I still had this, when I was a small kid, food would trigger colour displays in my mind, which is probarly why I was fat as a kid.

/kasper

Last edited by Faber : 03 March 2005 at 05:16 AM.

Old 03 March 2005   #36
Oh, wow. Where do I even begin here, people?

1. Hyperactive - My brain always seems to fly about a million miles a second. Sometimes it gets really bad and I can't sleep for a day or two because I'm thinking too hard about something. It's really tough to shut it off as well (once I was working on dialog for a script and I couldn't sleep for 4 days straight: started seeing things, couldn't drive ).

2. Addicted to nicotine - Say what you will about smoking, but I've had some of my best ideas while taking a smoke break. Maybe it has something to do with forcing yourself to step away from your art every hour or so.

3. Recovering S.A. (if you don't know what that stands for, don't ask) - This makes me OBSESSIVELY observant. I can tell if a girls eyes dilate a fraction of an inch from across a room. I tend to catch things that no one else catches, like tiny facial expressions or a subtle change in mannerisms or body language. I tend to read people very quickly. Helps a lot when animating.

4. Parent - Nothing like seeing the world through a childs eyes again.

Let's see... I think that just about sums up the major ones.

Old 03 March 2005   #37
I'm slightly autistic-- Asperger's Syndrome, actually- the same disorder that Michelangelo was affected by (not to mention Bill Gates, interestingly enough).

I'm extremely uncomfortable and incoherent in virtually any social situation, but I have a very unique artistic perspective, and plenty of time to develop it.

Last edited by Albius : 03 March 2005 at 06:25 AM.

Old 03 March 2005   #38
2. Addicted to nicotine - Say what you will about smoking, but I've had some of my best ideas while taking a smoke break. Maybe it has something to do with forcing yourself to step away from your art every hour or so.

Oh how unbelievably true... I find this as a perfect time for mental creativity. A chance to step away and examine the work that has occured. From the Outside looking in, is great for creativity, especially after a long duration behind the screen or canvas/paper, I always say.

How I love my cigarettes so... Bad I know, but hey its a chosen and unsafe hobby. Least I am not jumping from bridges with a sheet folded and shoved in a pak on my back.

Old 03 March 2005   #39
Originally Posted by textureyes: Dyslexia (i can spell it.. yeahhh....)
Im not really bad. but bad enough to know that i should concerntrate on the things i am good at.
It is a condition that a lot of people see as someone who "cant" read... but its a bigger kettle of fish than that...
It actually helps me stay focused and apreciate what i can achieve.
Has anyone ever seen the movie Amadeus? Remember the scene in the beginning when he's playing grabass with Constanze? He's saying really obnoxious stuff to her, but he's saying it backwards. I started doing that when I was in like 6th grade. I saw the movie for the first time in 12th grade (3 years ago) and it freaked the hell out of me.

When everyone else saw it, they were like holy crap, you're a genius like Mozart!. Well, I don't know about that, but I don't personally know anyone else that can do it.

It's like, voluntary dyslexia (and yes, you spelled it right). Although for me, it's more spatial. I see a word, and then rotate it around (think annoying 3d text screensaver in xp). That means it's not an aural thing, where I can invert the sound. I just read whatever I see in my head, which is the inverse of the order of the letters that comprise the word which I am trying to spell backwards. Thus, if I were spelling 'backwards', 's' followed by 'd' would have to make a 'sduh' sound, so I have to get inventive from time to time.

My brother thinks it's the most ridiculously amazing thing ever. Whenever I hang out with he and his friends, they try to stump me.

So I obviously get 'supercalafragilisticexpialadocious' all the time.

suoicodalaipxecitsiligarfalacrepus

(swai-cod-alaip-ksec-itsil-igarf-alac-repus)

Last edited by PaulGanguly : 03 March 2005 at 09:11 AM.

Old 03 March 2005   #40
Haha PaulGanguly, that is a bit weird…but cool too. I can’t do it, just tried.

Old 03 March 2005   #41
Like EpShot, I also have minor OCD.

Old 03 March 2005   #42
Hahah, don't you feel pity on these poor people with no physical disadvantages? They have to WORK to be good at art...

Old 03 March 2005   #43
Fully paid-up mentalist, or at least that's what people would have me believe, I just like to think that I'm a perfectly normal individual who has a number of coping mechanisms to deal with lifelong depression, I can't wait until I'm well, I'm the most insane optimist in the world and being able to combine that with positive emotions would be brilliant

As it is, lal the current ideas in my head are rather angsty and probably pseudo-existentialist, I'm truly introspective with a great understanding of emotions through self-analysis and strong empathetic ability.

My girlfriend still reckons she only looks normal by dint of the company she keeps

regards, Paul

Old 03 March 2005   #44
I'm perpetually confused ! Does that mean anything?

And probably an emotional derelict too, allthough I'd deny that the first chance I get. I guess those things help me find more meaning to little things.

Wow, paperclip...you know it's weird to read that of you, never meeting you face to face I wouldn't guess. I had no idea, All you can deduce here is what is written. Now that means that maybe it doesn't even matter at all. Cool that you started this thread! I can't believe I missed this one first time around!

The power baby!!!
modelling practice #1

Old 03 March 2005   #45
JMBoek, a lot of people are surprised when I tell them I am deaf, the only way it affects me really is that people can misunderstand my speech and I might have to ask you to repeat something twice. Everything else is fine. I use captions on the tv and on dvds and send sms messenges rather than phone. It really doesn't affect my life much at all!! You don't miss what you don't know. Really. I guess it would be sort of like being in a foreign country at times, you wouldn't be able to understand the lingo at times but in general it's fine. That's how I see it anyway
The only time I've gotten p'd off was when I found out the bonus features for the Incredibles weren't captioned . Maybe I should sue pixar. Instead of a monetary compensation, I'd demand that they let me work for them . That way we all win!

Thread Closed share thread