Old 03-20-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
paperclip
Better than staples.

portfolio
Theresa Ryan
Freelance illustrator
Theresa Ryan Visual Development
Castlebar, Ireland

Do you have a condition that HELPS your art?

This is an 'optimistic' thread. I was reading a post in the sketch group about synaesthesia and it got me thinking-- Does that help the person in their art? In any way?
I'm deaf myself and I really do think it makes me more visually observant and I have powers of concentration like nothing else
How about the rest of you? Do you have anything that improves your work in any way? I'd be interested to see what you guys say. Post away!

Oh and before you ask, I DON'T sign. Plenty of deaf people don't sign! I have a cochlear implant and I was raised oral.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
SpeccySteve
Nerd

I have dodgy eyesight but I find that if I take my specs off it makes it much easier to see areas of light and shade on a subject when life drawing etc.

I find I don't get caught up in detail early on because I can't see that detail..hmm does that make sense?

-Steve

Oh yeah, being slightly colourblind I sometimes come up with "interesting" palette choices..

Old 03-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
shadowcastersleadgirl
Holly Butcher
Lead Designer of DaikatanaII:ShadowCaster
Chaosoft
Centerburg, USA

Send a message via MSN to shadowcastersleadgirl Send a message via Yahoo to shadowcastersleadgirl
I also can't see well. When I'm not wearing contacts or glasses I can see shapes a lot better, and it gives me a different perspective of how I could draw it differently than it appears.
Stress helps with my art as well, along with my writing.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
UnknownArtist
Standing in Blind Color

Ryan Casper
Computer Modeling/Animation Student
Southeast Missouri State University
Southern Illinois, USA, USA

Send a message via MSN to UnknownArtist Send a message via Yahoo to UnknownArtist
Insomnia ... I do my best work in any media at night. Catches up sometimes but it can be helpful. Really gets my imagination running, sometimes a little to much.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
opus13
Feind hört mit

Misanthrope.
USA

my eyes are also pretty bad. if i take of my glasses, it is impossible to see any detail on a monitor or on paper. this is a good thing! i can then then pay attention to things like correcting the leading in a paragraph or the balance of a design. with good eyesight, its too easy to get caught up in the details.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
PaulGanguly
Some Guy

Paul Ganguly
Grunt
Freelance, when I can
Rochester, USA

Send a message via AIM to PaulGanguly
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeccySteve
I have dodgy eyesight but I find that if I take my specs off it makes it much easier to see areas of light and shade on a subject when life drawing etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownArtist
Insomnia ... I do my best work in any media at night. Catches up sometimes but it can be helpful. Really gets my imagination running, sometimes a little to much.

I had to comment on this thread because I did something the other day that just straight freaked me out. In addition to the above (which are oddities that I think add to my art, specifically the thing about the glasses) I was told as an exercise to 'loosen up' when doing gesture drawings in my figure drawing class the other day.

What better way to loosen up but to use your non-dominant hand?

So I, being right handed, started using my left.

My left hand kicked my right hands ass.

Well, not really, but for some reason, I was much more able to distinguish the sillhouette of the figure, and get a much more accurate representation, although the finished product was sketchy in comparison to the usuall pretty precise work of my right hand.

It's like my left hand couldn't lie, so to speak. I couldn't get it to put the lines that I wanted to be there, but I could get the lines that werein fact there.

So I decided that my left hand had not been 'trained' the technique that my right hand had, thus when I had the opportunity to finish some of the ones that I had started with my left hand, I used my right hand to add the proper shading and tones.

It's kind of an annoyance to switch hands, but hey, if the finished product is all the better for it, then why not?

Old 03-20-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
stewartjones
For fast effective relief

portfolio
Stewart Jones
Austria

Send a message via MSN to stewartjones
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownArtist

Ditto!

My sleep patterns are disgustingly bad, and it is sometimes a bit of a problem as it gets me down every now and again. (I keep these sleeping pill companies in business at times! hehe)

I do find it helps me out though. I work my best at around 2-4am!

Old 03-20-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
ThirdEye
PinealGlandOptics

CGSociety Member
Alberto Blasi
Architect & Graphic Designer
Milan, Italy

working at nite.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
DaddyMack
c r a z y . . .

portfolio
Rob Mack
Resident geek
Brainchild Digital
Sydney, Australia

Send a message via MSN to DaddyMack Send a message via Yahoo to DaddyMack
Put another one down for insomnia as well as poor eyesight...I also seem to have a bottomless well of creativity and ideas, boxes and boxes of sketchbooks full of them, unfortunately, like everybody else I only get dealt 24 hours each day and can't bring many of them to fruition, and live my life...hence the insomnia

Oh and of course an undying desire to just create because...that seems to help a bit

toe2toe

my 3d prints

Old 03-20-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
jorx
Compositing TD in NZ
portfolio
Jordan Olson
Compositing technical director
New Zealand

Yeah I'm mostly deaf so I've always been pretty visually oriented. Unlike my brother who has his own recording studio and is a musician, I'm the artist of the family. So maybe that works out to my advantage.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

I'm insane.

(actually I'm not really)

Old 03-20-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
CGmonkey

portfolio
B S
Norway, Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh
I'm insane.

(actually I'm not really)

After meeting you, I can say you're quite insane

Old 03-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #13
NrgJake
Frequenter
Jakob Lapsley
Kindergarten Teacher
Sacramento, CA, USA

Send a message via AIM to NrgJake
I have scotopic sensitivity which simply put is a sensitivy to contrast between white and black values. ie. Black text on white page... ..or say car headlights at night.

for example: When reading black text on super white pages I have to concentrate alot on reading becuase the contrast makes the text "pop" a little too much which is distracting. It's hard to explain exactly, but it almost makes it look like faint trails of the words moving around.

Not quite sure if it's helped or hurt me artistically. The only real problems I have with it are car headlights at night, which makes my vision distort slightly. And then the reading problem. Considering i went to school for graphic design, and frequently work with typography, it could be a problem, but i've always found that well designed typography is always easier on my eyes. So in actuallity it could help.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:53 PM   #14
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

I'm single.

Seriously though, if I had love in my life, I'd never be able to do the amount of work I do, it's crazy. And of course as a consequence of working so much, I'm not out meeting people or taking care of myself. Catch-22 eh?

Speaking of crazy, I'm at times obsessive-compulsive..this can definitely be a great help when attention to detail is needed, and once I'm 'into gear' on something I'll focus on it hard until it's done, but can also trip me up when I need to just call something 'good enough' and get it out the door. I need the little paperclip guy to hover over my screen and say "Really it's quite decent as it is and no one will ever see the difference". It was good to see on the Incredibles behind the scenes that most of them feel the same way about tweaks though..heh.

Absolutely a night owl, I think having varying or 'adjustable' sleep patterns, or no pattern at all, can definitely make throwing into all-nighters easier. Only thing I find sometimes that doesn't help about being a night owl is when you have to interact with normal people during the day..heh.

I also have a very good memory for most things, this is a big plus for notes and spotting details, I guess the only drawback to that is when I remember they said they wanted something a certain way, and they forgot that's what they said..that's where written notes come in

In the end I guess there's plus and minus to everything, just have to balance it out and play the advantages you can.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:00 PM   #15
nix0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
In the end I guess there's plus and minus to everything, just have to balance it out and play the advantages you can.
so true , smart words, preach brother, preach!

Thread Closed share thread