Is art going back to 'realism'?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
In many ways, art has always been strongly influenced by the technology of the day. For example, many of the paintings of the so-called "Dutch Masters" were painted with the aid of the camera obscura, and many people since that time have tried to puzzle-out exactly what particular one the artist may have used. There was a very long time when very "technical" paintings were made. In computer-graphics, I believe that we are still in (though, at the end of) this "highly technical" phase.

Ink-and-paint was, strictly speaking, the first art form to be fundamentally transformed by the computer, although the work product did not change (some of the early movies actually printed frames out to celluloid for conventional photography). The last film to be made entirely without computers was Roger Rabbit. Computer-graphics, after being liberated from the CPU-power limitations visible in, say, Tron, rushed right past the computer-cartoon (Toy Story) to the hyper-realism of the digital matte painting and "Photoshop-style" direct manipulation of captured imagery.

I think I'm beginning to see a growing realization that once again the movie audience has raised the bar. The audience is no longer impressed by digital; no longer believes that what it sees is anything but heavily-digitized. (The audience wants drama, story, true cinematography, and maybe, abstract art that (of course) was done digitally. I'm waiting to see the project that will be the 21st century equivalent of Fantasia.) When this happens, digital technology will have come full-circle: no longer the end unto itself, but, like the camera obscura, merely a means to an end.

Last edited by sundialsvc4 : 03 March 2005 at 12:49 AM.

03 March 2005
Not in the sense of returning to the old ways of paintings as those styles are somewhat gone forever and many were just because there was no such thing as the photograph. I admit a lot of modern sculpture art is crap and some return to something that is hard work would be good. Theres still lots of quality work about though.

Quote: I think I'm beginning to see a growing realization that once again the movie audience has raised the bar. The audience is no longer impressed by digital; no longer believes that what it sees is anything but heavily-digitized. (The audience wants drama, story, true cinematography, and maybe, abstract art that (of course) was done digitally. I'm waiting to see the project that will be the 21st century equivalent of Fantasia.) When this happens, digital technology will have come full-circle: no longer the end unto itself, but, like the camera obscura, merely a means to an end.

I feel youre mostly wrong. The audience doesn't raise the bar, the artist does and the other artists have to follow them. As if the audience is no longer impressed by digital work, that makes no sense at all given the huge audiences going to animations such as the incredibles. People might not scream out "wow!" but no one ever did. The audience wants the same thing it has for thousands of years and digital work is a progression yes, but coming full circle? what exactly is that meant to mean? a means to an end? so theres nothing after digital? Im not really sure what you are trying to say on the whole, it sounds a bit pretenious really.

Last edited by eyeronik : 03 March 2005 at 12:59 AM.

03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread