Anyone get Artists depression?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #61
Talking Lmao

Originally Posted by 99sproth: Prostitutes?

Meh. In this country you need to do a little to get a girl into the sack.

Oh god, please not at the same time. your not one of those kinda people are you. (with your leather headgear) LMAO.

Simon

Well I never tried either, even tough I would look pretty kool in a leather gimp outfit.
And I also tend to notice that play fighting with females most of the time leads to some other good stuff. Common' dude keep your pimp hand strong ,I'm sure you can use your artist creativity to rope
in some babes, plus no matter where you are girls like to get it on for the pleasure of it too.
But you have to admit any sexual activity always takes your mind off of whatever is depressing you at the time. Whatever form it may take for individuals.

And as for violence, you see a lot of art with chicks holding big guns.
And most big movies tend to have a lot of violent images, as well as a lot of harder music.
so that has to say something about peoples appetite in that kind of stuff.

But all of the above tends to be a great release for my inner demons.

Old 04 April 2005   #62
I get ARTIST DEPRESSION, when I think about all the years I've spent in/and or trying to get in the industry and the fact that I have yet to ever once earn a decent paycheck.

Old 04 April 2005   #63
Good advice

Originally Posted by Leigh: Just keep your brain busy all the time. That's what I do.

Often self reflection ends up being a disturbing experience. In my artistic path I have sought out a variety of spiritual advisors and leaders. Yoga gurus speak of "Karma Yoga," being up and doing acts of selfless service. This may be all too much like art or animation work, but comes back to attitude and approach. If you do something out of love while expecting nothing in return, you will not be making yourself unhappy. Unfortunately unscrupulous spiritual leaders and employers can take advantage of this blissed out attitude. Hitler had the words "Arbeit Macht Frei" (Work Makes [You] Free) over the entrance to one of his concentration camps.

So, as the Native American Indian elders say, "Walk in balance." I had the good fortune of knowing Rolling Thunder who also advocated keeping busy to "avoid brooding."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rt.jpg (57.5 KB, 15 views)

Main web site home: http://www.mediaspin.com
Thoughtful Preparations blog at http://www.mediaspin.com/blog/

Last edited by Spinmeister : 04 April 2005 at 02:34 PM. Reason: adding URL

Old 04 April 2005   #64
Originally Posted by 99sproth:
BOY1DA: I think Ill have to go with the kill everybody stance. I find I work so hard at relationships and then she always turns around and stamps me into the ground. I see it all as a waste of time in the end. Although I've never dated a female artist... ( HOT GIRLS > EMAIL ME )

..No really.. do...

Simo

From a few of your posts, I get the feeling this isn't so much an artistic depression as a relationship funk. More work and shopping won't solve the problem, either. Whether you're looking for a friend to hang out with or a Mrs. 99sproth, you might have to make time for a social life. Team sports are a great way to meet people and get your required amount of exercise. Play co-ed team sports and you're all set!

BTW, a co-worker recently emailed me with this (shortened) parable:

A teacher stood in front of his class with an empty jar, a basket of golf balls, some pebbles, sand and two cans of beer. He poured the golf balls into the jar until it was "full", then added pebbles, sand, and finally the beer. The lessons he demonstrated were:

--Make sure you schedule the most important things first. Don't fill the jar with sand because you'll never get the golf balls in. (Sometimes work = golf balls, sometimes exercise = golf balls).
--There's always room for two beers.

Old 04 April 2005   #65
Depressed, huh. The man's got you down. Just one more cog in the machine sort of thing.

Go rent Donnie Darko. Or Heathers. Or Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

If you don't drink good coffee... start.

Whatever you do, don't dwell on how much money you will spend on license upgrades this year.

Old 04 April 2005   #66
Why I'm posting this, I have no clue. It's best to be an enigma than a solved puzzled.

I've been clinically diagnosed with "meloncholy" since my teenage years and having a complex thinking pattern ever since I could take steps. For a short period in my teen life, I had to take prescription anti-anxiety pills and anti-depressants until I forfeited them. I gave up on them because of two things: bad physical side effects and it prohibited my imagination.

Without my imagination, I prefer death. I thrive off of my creativity. I thrive not sleeping while trying to figure out the mathmetical complexities that correspond with Leonardo da Vinci's Proportions of the Human Body. My "pain" conjures the most disturbing art, yet, it is fulfulling to accomplish the finish piece. When a feeling of completeness and serenity succumbs me, I lose all inhibitions in my art. I forget how to handle a pencil, brush, or whatever technique or measure I may happen to use. And with a streak of bad luck constantly on my shoulders, I find no problem getting back in the rush of things once again.

I have been asked why I enjoy the choosing of a theme of artwork that isn't accepted widely in the art community. I can't help but to explain the beauty of a tornado, of the cataclysmic flows of lava from a volcanic eruption, or the hypnotic attention of the power of a mushroom atomic cloud. There's a beauty in the ugly of things; a ray of light within a dark room. When I construct my pieces, I see who I am. People see "evil". I see my heart. It's my emotion concealed in dirt. No one can see it, unless they can interpret it by taking into consideration EVERYTHING within it and not just the theme.

Depression, whether a psychosis or neurosis, is needed in my life. But, yes... I do need balance. But, it is hard for me to find any friends of a platonic or intimate nature if it appears everyone I come into contact is either too stoned, too drunk, or more messed-up than me. But, I'm enjoying my artistic streak. I'm getting things done that I wish to do. Trying different techniques, different theories, and smoking a whole lot more cigs.

I find that with depression you don't have to follow the "rules" of art and still come up with a powerful piece. It appears that too many people involve themselves with correct lighting, color proportions, and what-not. Whatever happend to... originality? Isn't that what makes you artistic? If I follow the rules, wouldn't I be like everyone else, despite being nuts?

That's my rant. Run with it. At least I figured out why I spent the time writing this....
No one reads my stuff, anyway.

Old 04 April 2005   #67
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread