blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sproth
Hmm don't really want to go there (its not easy ground for me), but Hitler was actually a failed artist and much was to do with that.

I don't think his failings as an artist had anything to do with his genocidal activities, let alone "less" than any other reasons. If you can't get an image to look right, do you get cravings to invade Poland and wipe out an entire religious body of people?

It reminds me of a skit by Eddie Izzard where he imitates Hitler painting and says "Ohh I can't get ze f**king trees.... OH I WILL KILL EVERYBODY!!!"

Old 03-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #32
Simon
A lot of nothing to say.

portfolio
Simon Roth
Games developer
Oxford, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Simon
LOL I loved that entire show. Izzard is a King

( "you say 'erbs, we say herbs. Because its got a f**ing "H" in it! ) Best Izzard quote ever.

Infact its probably why I put that in the first place.

osx: Yeah I'm glad more people are in the same mindset as me. I know its hard for a lot of people to understand, or empathize, and other people are just dismissive of people who feel like this. You really have to feel it to know what its really like. I really hate it when I know people are thinking I'm just having a winge, or some late teenage angst.

Anyone seen "kids story" from the animatrix.

Thanks for the book name. I'll amazon it.

Last edited by 99sproth : 03-08-2005 at 09:39 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #33
skull_leader
Veteran
portfolio
New Zealand

How To Enjoy Your Life And Your Job
by Dale Carnegie

This is a great book, I read it couple of times and it really helped me. Why don't you try it, it doesn't cost too much anyway...

Old 03-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #34
Arces
CGTalk fanboy
Rafael
Student / freelance programmer
Finland

Quote:
Does anyone reckon there is a cure for us unhinged artists.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in these things - it's actually quite the contrary, but I've found one thing that's a 100% cure for depression. Well... *blushes* I know that it probably sounds a bit lame and can be considered a cliché, but the permanent remedy for depression that I found is (believe it or not) - love. Just pure, genuine, love. I never knew that a feeling this strong ever existed until it completely overwhelmed and enslaved my mind, body and soul. *sigh*
I hope that'll happen to you as well

Anyway, I'm sure that eventually you'll get over your "down-time" and then things won't feel as monotonuous and pointless as they do now. Believe me, this has happened to most - if not all - of us countless amount of times, but we're still all alive and kicking!

*thinking to himself* now THAT sounded like I'm some kind of hippie or something *gasps*
well... I guess that's what they mean with "feel the love, maaan!" ... ... ... and let da fooorce be with ya! *grins*

Old 03-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #35
BrockSamson
Frequenter

portfolio
Rob Fairman
3d Artist
Tampa, USA

I finnally got my first and current job in animation about a year and a half ago and for the first time in my life I make decent money. My wife and I moved into a nice apartment and I bought a really cool car (I'm a bit of gearhead), etc. I've noticed in the past few months that I'm becoming disinchanted with the consumer lifestyle. I keep thinking of that scene in Fight Club where Ed Norton's character is thinking along the same lines. I kind of think of it as an assention to a higher level of conciousness in my own life. Now that I no longer need to worry so much about a paycheck, I can start to think about higher level needs and the solutions to those questions are a lot harder to figure out. But it's all good, life wouldn't be any fun if all the answers were handed out ahead of time.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:58 PM   #36
Backenbotten
Veteran

portfolio
David Oertoft
Doctor
Vrinnevi Hospital
Norrköping, Sweden

Arces, congratulations to that From the short story I can read in your post, I tend to get the impression that you merely had a "down period" before that happy solution, because it is less likely for a person who has depression to be able to fall in deep love. For a person with depression, your ability to communiate with your own feelings ("feel things") and show them to others is impaired, your general interest for the world around you is low and you have low confidence. But of course I could be wrong.

I also felt this could be of interest:

Depression (as it is defined medically) is surprisingly common in the population in general. About 25% of men get it some time in their life, 40% for women. Most often it resolves spontaneously over a couple of years, but the odds are much better with treatment. About 20% of the Swedish popuation take SSRI every day (antidepressive medication, but is also used for some other problems, eg panic attack syndrome). Psychotherapeuts who know the best-evidence cognitive and behavioral treatment methods drown in work. It is the most common patient category for GP's, together with pain from the neck or back. So, it is very, very common.

There is most likely both a substantial under-diagnozing (mostly because people neither the doc don't realize they might have depression) and over-diagnozing (quite a few doctors tend to prescribe SSRI medication as a test even when patients have very few and light symtoms, and then patients may continue to take it for long, likely without need.)

I looked around a bit and found only a very few scientific articles on depression among artists. It is quite easy to study how common it is, and I know it has been done, and there is an overrepresentation (don't remember how much). There is a lot of unanswered questions why that is though. I believe there should be risk factors and conditions that are unique to artists, but I wont speculate in that now... anyone else?

Take care you all.

Last edited by Backenbotten : 03-09-2005 at 12:19 AM.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:47 AM   #37
OptimusDinkus
Lord of the posts
It's me
Texture Artist Intern
Matchframe
USA

Philosophy class's helped me answer alot of questions I had about problems which availed very vague answers through other means(proffessional/religious examples). I dont want to sum up what i learned but at the same time, the only thing that makes me down is not having anything to do at all or doing the same thing over and over again.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #38
JulianHo
I am a Muppet

Julian Ho
Pixelante
Indonesia

Send a message via ICQ to JulianHo Send a message via AIM to JulianHo
My method of curing depression is to do several little enjoyable productive activities every single day. Slow and easy does the trick, no sense in swallowing the entire elephant-sized problem, eh?

Old 03-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #39
Matellis
will drink for beer

portfolio
Matt Ellis
freelance matte painter & concept artist
freelancer
Pictou , Canada

Send a message via MSN to Matellis
Thinking more helps me

I used to get depressed when I was young about 17 yrs old , but I find now only being 22 I feel great. I think about all the problems in the world and how i can make a difference with my art and I get uplifted. I dont make any money with my art right now and I barely have any money , hell i even find it hard to pay rent and eat health but ya know people tell me that I am the happiest person they know. Maybe its not from sweating the small stuff. Just realize that its all a learning experience. Even the wanting to buy whateve and make money. Someday you will realize thats all pointless and just be happy that your alive and one of the few that can "create". We can all make a difference its just about passion in not only your art but your life. To be a true artist you must have an artful life. And unfortunatly most art is about suffering and struggle. Who wants everything passed to them on a silver platter. I don't ..

Old 03-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #40
CGTrader
Learning from yesterday

portfolio
Marius Kalytis
CG artist
CGTrader
Vilnius, Lithuania

"depresion"/being happy state I see as a constant and natural sinusoidal variation. I even found a validity for myself this state to be natural - you can't be happy all the time, because soon you would be bored (appetite comes with eating). On the other hand you can't dodge down times by force of external factors, besides it lets you to go up and know happines from the start. Importantly your average happines should be not less than neutral. Otherwise there is a lot of tips in this thread how to deal with this.

take care

Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 AM   #41
osxrules
Veteran
CGTalk User
United%2BKingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sproth
You really have to feel it to know what its really like. I really hate it when I know people are thinking I'm just having a winge, or some late teenage angst.

I feel exactly the same way. I don't even let people in my life know how I feel any more because I know they wouldn't understand. Although I'm not sure it's so much about understanding as being able to do anything about it. I don't think there is an external cure for feeling like this, it has to come from the inside. The problem I have is that I feel like this because I choose to see everything as meaningless. In order for me to be happy, I'd have to change that opinion. It's like the saying goes: life is not worth living until you find something you are willing to die for. That could have a flawed meaning in that if you are willing to die for nothing then life is worth living but it really means that until you find or make a purpose for your life, you can't be satisfied. As Agent Smith points out:

Agent Smith: But, as you well know, appearances can be deceiving, which brings me back to the reason why we're here. We're not here because we're free. We're here because we're not free. There is no escaping reason; no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist.
Agent Smith Clone 1: It is purpose that created us.
Agent Smith Clone 2: Purpose that connects us.
Agent Smith Clone 3: Purpose that pulls us.
Agent Smith Clone 4: That guides us.
Agent Smith Clone 5: That drives us.
Agent Smith Clone 6: It is purpose that defines us.
Agent Smith Clone 7: Purpose that binds us.
Agent Smith: We are here because of you, Mr Anderson. We're here to take from you what you tried to take from us.
Agent Smith: Purpose.

Some people create meaning in their lives with love, family, career but if you are looking from the outside, it doesn't make sense. You have to be part of the system. If you don't want to be part of the system (like me), another world beckons. The Matrix is one of my favourite films of all time because it presents that idea so fluently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arces
but the permanent remedy for depression that I found is (believe it or not) - love.

I don't agree with that. A lot of people have been saying the same thing, even on other forums I visited. To me love is no more than a bodily interpretation of compatibility. I have been in love with people but only because I have things in common or because the girl was so stunningly attractive. The latter is lust but people sometimes consider that love or it leads to love.

I got the feelings in my stomach and thought about them from the time I got up until the time I went to bed. However, if I was blind and deaf, I would never have been in love at all. It's not a transcendental force that supercedes everything, it's false and material just like everything else.

Love also is not permanent. Humans don't seem to me capable of being totally selfless and unconditionally loving.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #42
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
99sproth, you have some timing on you man.

I woke up this morning(afternoon actually) and thought to myself no I'll first check on cgtalk for some nifty knowhow. I just spent a whole week away from the school that I really love, just because. I'm glad to hear about other people who have similar problems.

To underline what Backencotten was saying, I usually treat myself in this way. I carefully look at the situation and try to rationalise it. Then I figure out what is really bothering me(not the freudian way mind you), and convince myself to set small new goals and change my behavior. Which I failed at miserably yesterday and today. CRAP! moodswing!

I think it's also something readily found with challenge people. One challenge is met and the automatically supplied drugs from our brain are no longer supplied to us. SO we feel down like junkies and start looking for another challenge. It sucks but it makes some perform quite well.

stop...moodswing...stop...
modelling practice #1

Old 03-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #43
Gamoron
Lord of the posts

Todd A McCullough
3D/2D Artist
Toronto, Canada

I just lost my whole ****ing reply because I pressed tab and something else! Argh! and this was meant to be uplifting.

So here is a condensed version. mutter mutter

1. Get someone to love. Just like that Queen song.

I'm a relationship person. My girlfriend has been the greatest balancing force in my life. I drank a lot before meeting her and was often depressed and had many sleepless nights. Light sleeper too. Now I still drink but I sleep way better , rarely depressed and oh yeah when I sleep I saw logs.

If you're not a relationship person, just go be a pig. I'll be jealous you're getting laid in so many varied ways and that will make you happy!

2. Listen to appropriate music.

I listened to all that thinking, depressing and inspiring stuff for years. Wasn't very appropriate when I wanted to have fun. So I listen to fun stuff when I want to have fun or be more upbeat. Thing is there is a lot of smart fun music out there. Musicians don't have to be morbid and sad to have a message. I still listen to sad stuff too, but like I said don't listen to Rammstein when you're feeling up-beat.

3. Cook good food.

I watch foodtv religiously. I love to cook and by cooking better food, I eat better and feel better.

And of course exercise and all that shit.

Warning: doing the above can have a negative effect on your art. Not being depressed all the time certainly dulls the compulsive feeling to create art that I created before I felt this way.

Feeling better is euphoric. So if you're like me and depression drove your art forward, like me you'll have to figure out what you're muse is.

Hope this helps

Old 03-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #44
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Getting a pet also seems a pretty good idea, I have loads of cats in my home...I sometimes call them my brothers and sisters, they're amazing...
modelling practice #1

Old 03-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #45
Don Kayote
Oxymoron approved

Ivan Bryan
Modeler
Malaysia

Mood colours your perseption of reality.

Don't take my word for it, Try it!
- Put an angry facial and body expression,
-Now look at somthing, anything,
-What do you feel towards it?

Now try other emotions, happyness, sadness, confusion,
-now look at the same object again.
-What do you feel?

Amazing isn't it?

So if you're killing someone with a smile on your face, you'll feel much happier doing it.

Thread Closed share thread