CGTalk > General Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories Forum
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 08:04 PM   #16
Simon
A lot of nothing to say.
 
Simon's Avatar
portfolio
Simon Roth
Games developer
Oxford, United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,641
Send a message via MSN to Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemos
Rammstein rocks :P
Well we can all get depressed, relax and go to the concert and enjoy yourself, just my advice


I like most their music, although I can understand why people don't. But they have the best live pyrotechnics and effects, maybe the best gigs of any band.

Quote:

Just keep your brain busy all the time. That's what I do.


I gotta agree. I think I'll try doing that.

(maybe the fact I've not got a client screaming down the phone on me is the reason I'm getting down. .. Now thats a werid thought.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kayote
Healthy people are Happy people.


I walk 4 miles a day... not including walking my doggy.
__________________
MaiaGame.com Linkedin Twitter

Last edited by 99sproth : 03-07-2005 at 08:08 PM.
 
Old 03-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #17
Garma
No light please, thanks
 
Garma's Avatar
It will stay hidden.
Student
Delft, Netherlands
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sproth
I know artistic people have a tendancy towards depression/mental I'llness. (..) hitler...


Are you kidding?

I don't think it has anything to do with being artistically gifted. one third of the world is or has been depressed and visited a psychiatrist for that.

For you: don't ask us. You'll always better off asking a doctor, those people studied for giving good advice. If you don't feel like its an emergency, do what Leigh said
 
Old 03-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #18
ThomasMahler
Dudemeister
 
ThomasMahler's Avatar
portfolio
Thomas Mahler
Irvine, USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,873
Oh man, I think everyone here has been in this situation more often than not... I had a down like that not even 2 weeks ago.

It'll always be the same story, you kinda disbelief in yourself, you're not happy at all with what you're doing... But you'll become happy again, believe me. Same old story...

Maybe it helps you to take a time out, try something different, listen to music you've never heard before, just try to find joy in things you've never enjoyed before!

Life can quickly feel like a worn out recording of a favourite song (Is that a line from a song? )), so don't overdo anything you love or it'll become bland really quickly...
 
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #19
KevinKraeer
Lord of the posts
 
KevinKraeer's Avatar
portfolio
Kevin Kraeer
Animator
Santa Monica, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,335
I get depressed sometimes after finishing a large personal project. Which is kind of weird I guess.

Aside from that, I think it's easy to get discouraged/depressed when you're working 24/7 and still don't feel like you're getting anywhere. I feel that way from time to time, but usually it happens because I got a lousy night's sleep.

A lousy night's sleep will invite the inner demons everytime.
 
Old 03-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #20
jeffthomann
Art's a lifestyle...
portfolio
Jeff Thomann
Columbia, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 612
Quote:
If you ever feel depressed go hit on hot chicks at the mall.


Under some circumstances doing that could drive you deeper in to depression... just take a sketch pad with you to the mall and doodle. I used to do that in the cafe court. You typically get some people walking buy (some of which may be hot chicks?) that ask about your art. Can be nice to talk to someone like that off of the streets that show an interest in your work... typically if you take the sketch pad people won't mind. However, if you take the camera, expect some jackasses out there. I used to go to the local mall and take a lot of photos of cloudy days, sunsets, sunrises, etc. I did this all at the mall parking lot because it's one of the few places in town where you can get some decent sky shots without trees, buildings, etc. It's amazing how many real jerks out there will demand that you delete their photos from your camera immediately even if you weren't aiming at them or anything and don't have one pic of them on the camera.
 
Old 03-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #21
tjnyc
Lord of the posts
 
tjnyc's Avatar
portfolio
Tony Jung
Digital Artist
New York City, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,369
Get a life and have a life outside your work or your art. That saved me from my depression, you need something to ground you. I used to get depressed all the time, got into a little bit of a destructive pattern, but I have a life outside work/art now that has kept me grounded for the past 6 years and I haven't been depressed since. I am also more productive now with my work/art than I was previously because I am in a better state of mind. It is also an issue of maturity, overcoming your insecurities, knowing not to beat yourself up and letting things go. Ultimately, you need to find whatever solution in yourself, either you can choose to be your worst enemy or your best friend, it is up to you, have faith in yourself.


Cheers,
__________________
"Make something idiot proof and they'll just build a better idiot."
 
Old 03-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #22
Backenbotten
Veteran
 
Backenbotten's Avatar
portfolio
David Oertoft
Doctor
Vrinnevi Hospital
Norrköping, Sweden
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 97
Sorry, I couldn't resist to reply as a soon to be medical doctor (June 3rd).

In the medical field, there is a rather strict distinction between what is looked upon as disease ("real" depression) and neurosis, which is not called "depression", and by many in the profession seen as a form of normal variation, that it not a disease and therefor less of a subject for medical intervention (it might still might be a target for preventive actions). The "neurosis" is extremely common, and does most often not progress to depression, but it can. At the "neurosis" level (or whatever one wants to call it) you do have the ability to recognize there is a problem, take responsibilty and correct it yourself (numerous good pointers in this thread, many more on the Inet), most often without need for professional support.

If you can function acceptably well in your life (work, socially), then that is a very positive sign. It is by definition not possible to have "real depression" then (but you may be on the way to get there).

If, however, you notice significantly decreased work results/social functioning, sleeping troubles/sleeping for too long or waking up early, weightloss (unintentional), concentration and memory difficulties, unmotivated feeling of guilt or wortlessness, these are definately signs one should seek professional counselling for (especially if they remain over several weeks), because then you may benefit from professional treatment, and the sooner it starts the better off you will be. Also, one is likely not have the mental power to "get up" oneself. The best evidence treatment for mild to moderate depression today is CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), which deals with identifying, analyzing and modifying thoughts and behaviour, in itself or in combination with SSRI medication. It also provides you with mental strategies protecting you from depression in the future. Often, it is effective.

But, for most situations one can avoid falling into that gap. A lot of things have already been said, but sleep regular times, eat well and at regular times, do workout, avoid (excessive) alcohol and other drugs, take part in activities (even when you may not want to). Spend time thinking about what is important to you and what makes you happy, and then give that priority. And, of course, do not forget to visit CG talk regularly

All the best.
 
Old 03-08-2005, 01:33 AM   #23
Kanga
KillaRoo
 
Kanga's Avatar
portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,566
Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
In this day and age when everything has to be perfect I feel there is nothing wrong with a good dose of the BLUES. There isn't anything to blame it on either although we always try to find something.

Feeling low as a snake belly is natural. When this happens to me I know its normal and I go make music or something. Wierd it seems to be a sin to have a downer. Being happy and chirpy all the time would drive me nuts

Its not psycology,... its logical. Nothing is free not even emotions.

Great work with your website BTW, keep it up
__________________
The terminal velocity of individual particles is directly related to pink rabbits on a bank holiday.
Characters, Games, Toys
 
Old 03-08-2005, 02:10 AM   #24
vrf
. . . . . .
portfolio
Vance Fry
USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 964
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

- C.S. Lewis
 
Old 03-08-2005, 02:37 AM   #25
cyartist
Lord of the posts
 
cyartist's Avatar
the,one
visionary
maryland, United States Minor Outlying Islands
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 599
With all the trouble in the world getting depressed from that is actually healthy. It shows you got a heart and you give a damn. Eventually your art may be expression of how to make things better. Maybe a Cg movie with a story of hope.Your art is your testament to the world or it's just a paycheck you decide what your art is for. Find your love for yourself and humanity and express it to someone through your art. You will feel better because you just made the world a little better. Love cures depression even in it smallest
forms.
 
Old 03-08-2005, 04:32 AM   #26
otacon
lightwave cowboy
 
otacon's Avatar
portfolio
Jason Lee
Senior 3d artist
Sullivan Branding
Memphis, USA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,557

God helps me through it.
__________________
My website
 
Old 03-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #27
Simon
A lot of nothing to say.
 
Simon's Avatar
portfolio
Simon Roth
Games developer
Oxford, United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,641
Send a message via MSN to Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backenbotten
Sorry, I couldn't resist to reply as a soon to be medical doctor (June 3rd).

If, however, you notice significantly decreased work results/social functioning, sleeping troubles/sleeping for too long or waking up early, weightloss (unintentional), concentration and memory difficulties, unmotivated feeling of guilt or wortlessness, these are definately signs one should seek professional counselling for (especially if they remain over several weeks), because then you may benefit from professional treatment, and the sooner it starts the better off you will be. Also, one is likely not have the mental power to "get up" oneself. The best evidence treatment for mild to moderate depression today is CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), which deals with identifying, analyzing and modifying thoughts and behaviour, in itself or in combination with SSRI medication. It also provides you with mental strategies protecting you from depression in the future. Often, it is effective.

But, for most situations one can avoid falling into that gap. A lot of things have already been said, but sleep regular times, eat well and at regular times, do workout, avoid (excessive) alcohol and other drugs, take part in activities (even when you may not want to). Spend time thinking about what is important to you and what makes you happy, and then give that priority. And, of course, do not forget to visit CG talk regularly

All the best.


Thanks. I think that pretty much puts it on the table for me.

I think I must of just been hoping that it wasn't just me and that maybe other people on the forum would tell me that its normal. I think personally I might actually seek some help for this because I'm pretty blue at the moment, and I can truthfully say that I fit every Issue you have mentioned in that list.

jeff: Theres no mall round here, but I reckon I could find sumwhere to sit and draw. i think thats a great Idea. I used to do the same with my camera in places, but people were "jerks" like you say and so i gave up.

Kanga: More coming to the site soon! (If I can actually get some more ideas for it) I might start a forum for questions about cg work etc. But then there are so many forums out there...

Thomas: Yeah I think I need something radically different. I might just Jump on a plane to America one of these days and just spend a month traveling or something. Just to try and break the cycle.

Kevin: Problem is every nights sleep is lousey, even when I'm in bed at reasonable times and get a lye in.

vrf: So, so true. I've had that as my msn username for a month...

Well I might not be feeling much better, but at least I understand it a bit more now. I'll try and see if I can get some help, or something..

Cheers again guys ***group hug***

-Simon
__________________
MaiaGame.com Linkedin Twitter
 
Old 03-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #28
E.Z. Schwartz
backwards flyer
 
E.Z. Schwartz's Avatar
Ezra Schwartz
Providence, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 571
Send a message via AIM to E.Z. Schwartz
If Hitler was depressed, I'm pretty sure it wasn't because he was an artist.
__________________
My Web Page
 
Old 03-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #29
osxrules
Veteran
CGTalk User
United%2BKingdom
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backenbotten
If, however, you notice significantly decreased work results/social functioning, sleeping troubles/sleeping for too long or waking up early, weightloss (unintentional), concentration and memory difficulties, unmotivated feeling of guilt or wortlessness


yup/yup, yup/yup, nope - weight gain (unintentional), yup and yup. Oh well, only 4/5, guess I'm ok.

I feel pretty bad all the time and exactly like the CS Lewis quote. Thanks for that Vrf. I just feel like I don't belong. Sure when I'm with family, I act fine, I laugh and get along with people but I don't have any true friends and I feel like it's all a pretence. Nothing means anything to me any more. I see our false society for what it really is. I'm not afraid of losing anything because I have nothing to lose. It doesn't bother me much, it's largely the choices I've made that make me feel this way. It also doesn't bother me because I don't think that what we see is all there is. I believe there is a greater truth. I've moved away from religion because it doesn't provide answers but I still believe there is something we can't know while we are alive.

I totally empathise with your feelings 99sproth. I was also under the impression that artists mostly suffer from depression. My experience has shown that. Of course it doesn't mean they are linked in that you have to be an artist to be depressed or otherwise nor does it mean other professionals don't suffer - I'm sure doctors suffer more than most with those long, long hours. I think it's just tough being an artist and I think that's what you were saying and with the quality of work on CGTalk, no one will deny that.
 
Old 03-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #30
Simon
A lot of nothing to say.
 
Simon's Avatar
portfolio
Simon Roth
Games developer
Oxford, United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,641
Send a message via MSN to Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Z. Schwartz
If Hitler was depressed, I'm pretty sure it wasn't because he was an artist.


Hmm don't really want to go there (its not easy ground for me), but Hitler was actually a failed artist and much was to do with that. however he also got mustard gassed in WW2.. that would explain more. (why did I even bring him up!?)
__________________
MaiaGame.com Linkedin Twitter
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.