Simon
A lot of nothing to say.

portfolio
Simon Roth
Games developer
Oxford, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Simon
Anyone get Artists depression?

Does anyone reckon there is a cure for us unhinged artists. I'm sure I'm not the only one who never feels quite at ease with everything.

I know artistic people have a tendancy towards depression/mental I'llness. (van gogh..). but does anyone get this lots? Like a whole load of the time?

...Last night I sat up at 2am in bed and thought how all I ever do is work for the things I want. Then I buy it and I want more. That I've fallen to the infinate wants of western civilisation. But then I make stuff.. but I never feel pride in it, and I feel I should be making more. Then I looked at my social life, and relationships everything seemed kinda pointless. Like a big loop constantly hammering down on me.

I just completed a 1000 job. juts booked a holiday to go see Rammstein in Germany. I should be dancing or summit.. we'll Im.. not.

Anyhoo.... I dont want this to turn into a sob story. But does anyone else suffer from "artists depression". I'm wondering if you people who do have ways of coping with it.

Cheers anway

Simon

Last edited by 99sproth : 03-08-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
BillSpradlin
Nothing to see here

Bill Spradlin
Spectral Liberation
Digital Domain
Los Angeles, USA

It's pretty common among a lot of people, not just artists, but I guess we all tend to be a little more susceptable to it. I've had troubles with it from time to time, it comes and goes. As I get older however, it's not as bad as it used to be however.

From what you said, you sound to be in a very similar part of life that I was in not too long ago. Buying new gadgest and toys to play with, getting a new car, new computer gear, all only bring temporary happiness. As time passes, the things that once brought you happiness only bring you sorrow and sadness because they wear down, get old and loose the luster they once held. True joy and happiness is not found in a new girlfriend, new car, new house, new whatever, it can only be found within. Until you unconditionally accept your life for what it is, and stop struggling to be something that you think you should be and just be who you are, you will not be truly happy.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
Dennik
Stuck in the 80s

portfolio
Dionysios N
3D Artist - Animator
Winston Salem, USA

Personally (although i don't feel like spilling my guts out, in here) my only source of depression comes from a constant sentimental gap i have for quite some time now.
If that gets filled, i tend to believe my life will be much more balanced than it is right now.

But of course it is important to simplify your life, and want the things YOU realy need, not the things other people have.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Quote:
juts booked a holiday to go see Rammstein in Germany

ah well there's your problem right there.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
jeffthomann
Art's a lifestyle...
portfolio
Jeff Thomann
Columbia, USA

in the past... yes, I have fallen in to that sort of gap... both with art and with tech. There comes a time that you just start buying so much crap and gaining so much know how that it all seems pointless. I used to buy lots of tech books, read lots of 3d world mags, pc plus, etc. then more and more I found myself finding out more about the going ons in the tech world right here and on 3d buzz than in any magazine or book... so my days spent browsing at barnes and noble came to a halt. That's something that hit me kinda hard since I'd made it almost a biweekly obsession about a year and a half ago. As far as art goes, get out and go to a gallery or something. If you like reading, go pick up some old books at the library... or just go do something different. If you like doing art in the computer, go doodle on a real sketchpad, or whatever... It is true that material possessions can only get you so far.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
ZeroNeuro
Production Detonator

portfolio
Ritchie L Roberts
Lighting Artist
ZeroNeuro Arts Ltd.
Weaverville, USA

I used to suffer from depression. Still do in some sort. Even I know that if I am feeling down and depressed I don't go hang out with goths or industrialites I love that scene but I go because I understand these people probably wear pink bunny slippers when they wake up, before going into the office. *chuckle*

'Goth' can be beautiful, yes. You just have to balance it out.

You just have to offset your depression not enhance it. If you feel dark, go walk through a park in broad daylight. (OMG THE SUN!) Don't swim in the gutter...

Last edited by ZeroNeuro : 03-07-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #7
efem
Fardinanda delos Santos Magallen
Student
N/A
Santa Elena, Belize

I agree with everything BillSpradlin said. EVERYTHING. However, I don't cope up as well as others may. What was said has always been at the back of our heads. We bring it forth when we need it (to cope) but since we don't practice it, live it everyday, unconditionally accept it, we go back to scratch when we fall into depression again. I AM GUILTY! But I'm not empty...and I believe neither are you.

One more thing...this is about the artist thing. And this goes out to everyone. I hope no one gets offended.

Since I was young I have shown talent. Drawing at first. Then I learned dancing. Then I wrote poetry. Then I learned music. Then I called myself an artist. Then I taught tap dance. Then I joined a marching band. Then I formed a rock band. Then I wrote songs. Then I wrote stories. Then I graduated architecture. Then I did a job on theater design. Then I joined a jazz band......... Then, I never stopped. Now I'm in CGTalk.

But I stopped calling myself an artist. Through all those years I realized that everyone has something he/she loves doing most. And it is because of this love that a person makes art. So, when everyone's a superhero, no one is.

I wasn't offended or anything by 99sproth's calling himself an artist. But, to say hey, i'm an artist, as an excuse for something, is quite offensive and foolish (if one truly puts in mind the real meaning of art).

More Power to you 99sproth. I hope you figure things out for the good of you. Thanks for being around, BillSpradlin.

I hope this thread gets more views and posts. It is a the best place to vent out.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
deaderthanred
the girl from the well

portfolio
Michele Chang Wei-Fang
Freelance Artist
United Kingdom

for me, the cure for depression (other than coffee that is ambrosia, heheh) is having someone i can relate to. having a single friend who's as obsessed about computers/cg as i am is far better than hanging out with a whole herd of boring shallow people who thinks you're some computer freak who hides in her room all day and somehow enjoys it

Old 03-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Be proactive.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #10
PatternRecognition
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Ana
South Africa

Aye, 99sproth, this also goes when setting your goals too high. And that always leads to some sort of artist's block (can be fore a few days to a few months). But I'm getting off-topic.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
Daemos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie
ah well there's your problem right there.

Rammstein rocks :P
Well we can all get depressed, relax and go to the concert and enjoy yourself, just my advice

Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #12
Simon
A lot of nothing to say.

portfolio
Simon Roth
Games developer
Oxford, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Simon
Bill: I suppose I just have to put time on that. And just wait till I mature a bit.

jeff: I've done exaclty the same in the past.

Efem: Very true. I also shouldnt of really made the whole artist thing. Maybe its just because i feel I have a duty to create things. But then I suppose everyone artistic or not has that?

deaderthanred: I agree, Its you guys on cgtalk that are my only outlet at the moment. I don't really have any friends who understand, or for that matter care what I do.

ZeroNeuro: I do go outside and I'm usually such a cheery chappy when Im around people. As scribbler put it.. No one likes a morbid bastard. I'm not some moody goth guy.

Leigh: I agree 100% there. I'm just not too sure how, thats why I posted asking how. I'm not usually one to mope around.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #13
Yaroslav99
WannaBe

Yaroslav Kolo
USA

Sorry to be so rude but, get over yourself! If you ever feel depressed go hit on hot chicks at the mall.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #14
Don Kayote
Oxymoron approved

Ivan Bryan
Modeler
Malaysia

According to Social Psychologist, Dipression is a mental illness that is an epidemic on a Global scale. Ruining relationships and physical health. It is a downward spiral of destruction.

The cure to depression is to live a healtier lifestyle. It is only by exercising can your body realease Dopemine and Endorphin into your blood stream. And stay away from activities that can escalate your seratonin level.

Healthy people are Happy people.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #15
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sproth
Leigh: I agree 100% there. I'm just not too sure how, thats why I posted asking how. I'm not usually one to mope around.

Just keep your brain busy all the time. That's what I do.

Thread Closed share thread