CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Mindgem
Veteran
portfolio
Mikael Wigen
Boss
MindGem Graphics Inc
Sweden
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 30
Artwork copyrights

Hi. I really need to find a text with my rights to my published art online and offline. Just because I didn't have any user policy or copyright info, some idiots downloaded and printed my art on various clothing and started a business. I am 100% sure that all rights is MINE by default. No one should be able to even borrow the image and publish it on their site without permission. However, there are so many morons online that I now need a disclaimer of sort.

Do you know where I can find a text that will explain that all work on my site is mine and no one have the right to do anything..blah blah. ?
 
Old 03-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry
 
paintbox's Avatar
portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,373
From my knowledge, your work is yours and copyrighted, whether you state that or not on the picture or webpage. I think a (c) YEAR mark on either the picture or on the bottom of your webpage (all rights reserved YOURNAME) should suffice, or a watermark on your pictures (I dont do that myself, it ruins the picture I find)
 
Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
imashination
Expert
 
imashination's Avatar
portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 8,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgem
Hi. I really need to find a text with my rights to my published art online and offline. Just because I didn't have any user policy or copyright info, some idiots downloaded and printed my art on various clothing and started a business. I am 100% sure that all rights is MINE by default. No one should be able to even borrow the image and publish it on their site without permission. However, there are so many morons online that I now need a disclaimer of sort.

Do you know where I can find a text that will explain that all work on my site is mine and no one have the right to do anything..blah blah. ?


He already knows the images are yours. Contact the shirt printing company he is using and get them to remove the shirts. You don't need to add any legal text to the page or the images, Its not like he honestly thought he can grab whatever images he likes for free is it?
__________________
Matthew O'Neill
www.3dfluff.com
 
Old 03-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
Mindgem
Veteran
portfolio
Mikael Wigen
Boss
MindGem Graphics Inc
Sweden
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 30
Yes. Thanx for the replies. I might not have been clear enough. I know my rights very well and I know I don't need to put up and kind of info who ownes the art on my websites. But I really like to find a good legal text to use and put on my website because there are so many crazy cats online that will start doing business with my artworks without my concent.With a legal text It might stop a few from doing this.

If you know where I can find such a text that I can copy and put up on my sites, let me know.
 
Old 03-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Unled
Student of the Arts
 
Unled's Avatar
Derek Myers
CEO
Enclothe
USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 269
Send a message via ICQ to Unled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgem
Yes. Thanx for the replies. I might not have been clear enough. I know my rights very well and I know I don't need to put up and kind of info who ownes the art on my websites. But I really like to find a good legal text to use and put on my website because there are so many crazy cats online that will start doing business with my artworks without my concent.With a legal text It might stop a few from doing this.

If you know where I can find such a text that I can copy and put up on my sites, let me know.


Hey, I run a T-shirt company and would like to see what these jokers took from you. Don't worry I don't steal people's work, it's all my own stuff. At any rate, this kind of stuff interests me, so could we see what they stole?
__________________
Original Art T-Shirts
enclothe.com
support a starving student.
 
Old 03-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
TraceR
Was I dreaming?
 
TraceR's Avatar
portfolio
Zach Goldstein
3D Modeler
Nashville, United%2BStates
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,003
Anything you make is copyrighted by default. Like this post is copyrighted by me. So if someone is using your work, you can make them stop.
 
Old 04-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
mummey
I can make gifs too!
 
mummey's Avatar
portfolio
Brian Walsh
Code Monkey
Santa Monica, USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,158
Creation vs. Registration

Check out this link: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#cr

My software engineering professor has even suggested that everyone should have their code registered under copyright so it would be easier to prove if there was infringement.

-b
__________________
Life is too short to work a job you hate.
Opinions presented DO NOT represent those of my employer.
"This place smells like boy!" ~RebeccaK
 
Old 04-05-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend
 
XLNT-3d's Avatar
portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,397
Link to amazon book

Get Tad Crawford's book the Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
 
Old 04-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #10
TraceR
Was I dreaming?
 
TraceR's Avatar
portfolio
Zach Goldstein
3D Modeler
Nashville, United%2BStates
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLNT 3d
Link to amazon book

Get Tad Crawford's book the Legal Guide for the Visual Artist


Ok, just ordered it. Hope it's good, because if not, I know who to blame.

lol jk. I also ordered Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn. Heard it was an great book.
 
Old 04-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,066,480
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.