Should we post Scupy posts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2005   #16
I second a Concept Art and Design Forum

I agree that a Concept Art and Design Forum should be created.
After all eveything Digital came from a traditional base.

I am also using sculpy to improve my understanding of the human figure and
I use traditional tools all the time to continue improving my art skills.

Though I have not done much in the digital realm I am hoping as I improve my traditonal art abilities the digital side of things will be that much easier to work with.

Mike

Old 01 January 2005   #17
so what is the word then? Is there an official mod stance on where sculpts should be posted?

Scott Spencer
www.scottspencer.com

Old 01 January 2005   #18
Shoot... I read this whole thread hoping for an answer... Can we please have a mod jump in? I also remember there used to be a forum to post maquettes - in the 2D and concept art section, I believe.

Working on a maquette now, myself, and was hoping to get a little critique and direction. All the major studios (PIXAR, ILM, etc.) all use maquettes before creating digital model, and sometimes just scan the maquettes directly to create the model. I don't see why people should be upset over the post.

Mod? Help?

Old 01 January 2005   #19
go to first page and read my post again

<<<<------undercover supah mod

Last edited by ambient-whisper : 01 January 2005 at 05:49 AM.

Old 03 March 2005   #20
Hey ambient-whisper:

Apparently the word on this is now no.
No sculpts in the concept art section just digital...
Someone should add a traditional section since we all get excited to see traditional work, especially of the quality that come from posters like Southern and others.

Scott

Old 03 March 2005   #21
Whos said no?

Hi Scott, who said no to traditional sculptures?

I guess I could just be a traditional art conceptualizing rebel and do this:

http://homepage.mac.com/spottedskimmer/PhotoAlbum3.html

oops, did I just accidently leave my link to a recently finished, non-digital, sculpy figure study posted here...

Why would I even try to study such an archiac form of art in the persuit to better understand the human figure so that someday when I have the skills I can do better digital work...

Well back to the day job...

Cheers...

Mike

Old 03 March 2005   #22
I will play devils advocate, even though last time I expressed these opinions I got blasted and told I was jealous of "traditional art".

The reason you met with that response Glen, is probabaly because this is CGTalk, and is supposed to be dedicated to CG related creations and topics (thus the multiple "How is this cg related?" replays to news and general discussion topics). I'd argue that sketches and sculptures have an important place in the WIP section but the end goal in my opinion should be CG work.

I really don't appreciate the use of the term "Traditional art" when what people are against (on this forum at least) is traditional medium.

That said, like anything that grows in the world, it slowly loses focus and has to keep expanding. It could be CGTalk expands to cover all forms of art. This could either strengthen the community by bringing more art into the fold, or could dillute the essence of CGtalk. That's not my call

Old 03 March 2005   #23
mike33: Moderator of completed works 2D and concept art. So I suppose that it is the law of the land now unless a moderator makes a public post to the contrary. If it is concept art and it is completed why is it not welcome in the completed forum?

Blazer: Well put. I do think that CgTalk has backslid in recent years. Maquettes were welcome and now it seems that they are not. An oil painting was just on the frontpage and pencil sketches are regularly in the 2D section but sculpts are not welcome? Its a silly double standard that could be remedied with a new section or an addendum to an exsisting section descripton. Exposure to all forms of media are inspiring to me and thats why I come to CGtalk, to be inspired. I also suspect the lines between "traditional" and "nearly half a century old" medium will blur even more in the coming years. As digital medium advances the need to pay attention to the lessions of traditional materials has come into the forefront.
Just my thoughts on the subject.

Old 03 March 2005   #24
which one? theres 11 forum leaders for that section. if you want ill ask in our moderation forum if its ok by the admins/moderstors. i can tell you that i dont have any problems with it at all. infact id encourage it.

but ill ask if the admins changed their minds on the issue.

Old 04 April 2005   #25
so, if i do a figure in 3d and reproprototype it to a figure and paint it, then photograph it
and play whith it in photoshop, like this example,my second 3d model (no photoshop on this)

is that ok ?. or if you do it the outher way, sculpt,scan, and continue in 3d.
would help to no this, but that way of workflow would cost a fortune to go whith.
see you later and

Old 04 April 2005   #26
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread