Should we post Scupy posts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2005   #1
Should we post Scupy posts

Just a quick question really and I'm sorry if it's been asked before. I keep seeing posts like this one where the artist is berated for posting a maquette photo in a digital forum.

I use ZBrush, Lightwave, Silo, Photoshop, Painter, Sculpey, Chavant, Premo+Fimo, Pens, Pencils, acrylics, inks etc, etc... and I regularly post a variety of the resulting images, where ever possible trying to help or encourage other artists in some little way. I often sculpt a model then use it as a concept or its digital counter part.

Should these creations be posted?. Should all non-3D sculptors be encouraged NOT to post here and move on to a dedicted non-digital forum? Should artist only post a maquette if it can be shown to have been used at a later stage in a digital creation? What is CGtalks/Mods stance in this? I have a firm opinion on this one but I'd like to hear others comments, especially Sculpey artists.
http://twitter.com/southerngfx

Old 01 January 2005   #2
Last I heard maquettes were encouraged on these forums. A couple even made front page. One of the galleries used to include Maquettes in the description, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I think they should be on the forums because they are still a big part of production. Most major film studios still use them regularly. Working on them is a great way to learn 3d, just like learning traditional 2d animation is a great way to learn 3d animation.

Old 01 January 2005   #3
I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed... if its a useful tool, then use it.... that is as long as its not in a Application specific forum (like posting that in the MAX of MAYA foums might be a bad idea).

I am confused by the term "sculpy"? What is that? The pic looks like a clay. Is that a type of clay or am I totaly missing the boat here.

Old 01 January 2005   #4
Yes, Sculpy is this polymer (I think its a polymer stuff) clay stuff that comes in many colors.

If not sculptured works then we could ban drawings, like preliminary drawings

Old 01 January 2005   #5
Hazdaz: It is a popular polymer clay and only available in a flesh colour (although a lot of people mix it with other polymer clays)

Polymer Clay is not true clay found in the earth. It was first developed in 1930, in Germany. It is made from PVC, polyvinyl chloride...the same family of plastics that make up the plumbing in your home. It is mixed with a plasticizer and color pigment is added.
Polymer Clays are available in many colors, including neon-dayglow, granite textures and translucent.
After preparing and shaping, the "clay" is baked in a conventional oven at low temperature for a period determined by the shape and thickness of the design. There is no shrin
kage, and colors remain true through baking. The finished product can be sanded, drilled, polished, painted.
http://twitter.com/southerngfx

Old 01 January 2005   #6
A am Surprised at this?

Hi Glen, have they got a problem of maquette over all or just where they posted it?

A bit confused after reading it.

Old 01 January 2005   #7
I am Surprised at this?

Hi Glen, have they got a problem of maquette over all or just where they posted it?

A bit confused after reading it.

Last edited by DAZZAN : 01 January 2005 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Double post Sorry!

Old 01 January 2005   #8
Maquette Sculpting: Original SFX

Before Digital .This type of moddleing was the only way a director,would see how any creature design would look.Ok you could draw it,but ending up with a prototype in your hands to look at it.George Lucas lived maquettes & Sculpy,and ilm should be called the super sculpey shop as to the amount of clay they got through on the 3 star wars movies, up to digital preview,and still do now.

It would be usefull to have a modeling forum.

I also would use a 3d sculp of a model as a reference or vica versa as the very talented Mr Southern has.

Looking down on an artform that preceded 3d is not a good thing and it should be embraced.

You give me a good 3d model used in film i can show a more stunning model made in clay made by Oscar winners.

Old 01 January 2005   #9
That Sculpey sounds cool... I could think of many uses for it... where do you get it? Art supply store?

Old 01 January 2005   #10
I used to work with Sculpty all the time, but stopped a couple years ago.
Maybe I should start using it again....

Old 01 January 2005   #11
I don't see what's so wrong with posting "real" sculptures, especially if they're research for or are going to end up as a cg work.

No-one seems to have problems with people posting 2d concept art, sketches etc using purely traditional media..?

Edit: And yes, I realise the focus of the forum should be cg but if a spot of hands-on sculpting helps people out with cg ( and I bet in many cases it would..), surely that's a good thing? I doubt the place is going to morph into "Sculpy-Talk" or anything..

/2p worth

Last edited by SpeccySteve : 01 January 2005 at 07:50 PM.

Old 01 January 2005   #12
As long as it doesn't divulge too much, it's fine with me.

I also think that if people who are good at it, but don't do cg but are making cool concepts for maybe visual effects and have otherwise no cg in their lives whatsoever. I'd still like them to post it in a seperate forum: CONCEPT ART AND DESIGN. If there isn't such a thing yet.
But after all, I do find it weird to find them in finished work 3D stills, I mean were here for the cg stuff we do. That's what the forum is really about.
modelling practice #1

Old 01 January 2005   #13
Gnomon case

If sculpting is good enough for the Gnomon guys,and there are 5 dvds covering the maquette sculpt,it should be good enough for CG talk.

But a pointer about which forum to post in to would help, or a addem to the 2d wip for 3d maquettes.

Old 01 January 2005   #14
bah. dont worry about sculptures. last i remember it was actually encouraged to post traditional art here.

Old 01 January 2005   #15
I would love to see more sculptors here.

DWIII Entry

Thread Closed share thread