What is this tool called?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03 March 2014   #1
What is this tool called?

http://youtu.be/NxNQTkZgEkc (around 4:20 mins in)

What is Chuck Pyle drawing with? I've noticed Glenn Vilppu using something similar. Looking in my local art supply store I couldn't find anything similar.
Old 03 March 2014   #2
It's just a stick of charcoal (he's using compressed charcoal, not vine charcoal). You can find it in any art supply store. Google for "art supply compressed charcoal stick" and you'll find them.

Vine charcoal is very soft and makes lighter marks, while compressed charcoal is much harder and darker. Some people do the rough sketching with vine charcoal, and then do the finished/detail bits with compressed charcoal.

Last edited by Lunatique : 03 March 2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03 March 2014   #3
Thank you! I've never drawn with charcoal so I got to try it!
Old 03 March 2014   #4
Charcoal is fun, messy but fun.
reply share thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Society of Digital Artists

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.