Old 11-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Akinsthestarchild93
PRO
portfolio
Dan Smith
Deed street, USA

Portfolio WIP

Hello Everyone,

I am currently going to a college in up state new york studying animation. I've been at the school for a year so far and don't really care for the program, the instructors, and the student body. Furthermore, I am applying to transfer to Pratt Institute in the fall of 2014 so I can be in their animation program. In order to be accepted, I have to make a portfolio of my artwork. I haven't been drawing for too long and just currently have been actually creating artwork. When I first started drawing all I did was study anatomy and color theory and other things. I don't have that much work and I'm still am creating more artwork for the portfolio. Below is what I am putting in my portfolio. Please tell me what you think of it. How can I improve? What else should I be doing?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Akinsthestarchild93
PRO
portfolio
Dan Smith
Deed street, USA

Old 11-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
Akinsthestarchild93
PRO
portfolio
Dan Smith
Deed street, USA

Old 11-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Do you want to do 3D animation or 2D? For games or for animated films/TV shows?

Generally speaking, if you want to do 3D animation, the most important thing you can have in your portfolio is actual 3D animation. There are so many free resources such as rigged characters you can download off the web to animate with, and also many free/cheap 3D animation software, as well as online tutorials that you can pretty much teach yourself. But since you want to go to school for it, then show animation in your portfolio.

If you want to do 2D animation, or the 3D animation program requires you to show 2D skills, then try to target your 2D portfolio to the kind of drawings and paintings that animators would usually do, such as gesture studies of poses, facial expressions, anatomy/figure studies, life drawing, portraits, animal sketches, animal anatomy/figure studies, animal poses/expressions, character designs, etc.

You can also do 2D animation too on your own--there are excellent and affordable 2D animation software available that will give you the same features that professional 2D animators working on TV shows would use.

What you currently have, seems to be on the right track in terms of content, and it's mainly the quality that needs improvement. Be more accurate in your forms, your values, and push for more clarity in your forms. Some of your drawings are too flat with similar values and not enough dynamic range. Make sure you get the middle tones, the highlights, and the shadows right. There should be at least three distinct value levels of middle, very light, and very dark in the average drawing, and then if you add one distinct value between the three, you should be getting at least 5 distinct values that are clearly readable. Five is a great number to keep in mind for the basic management of your values.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread