How to get rid of a cartoonish style?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
How to get rid of a cartoonish style?

Hi there guys. I'm new here, nice to meet you all!

I finally decided I'd pursue the career of an artist, but I've encountered a problem I've been trying to get rid of since I started drawing. I feel my style is way too cartoonish for my tastes, and I blame it all on self-teaching by using how-to-manga tutorials and books.
I don't regret it as much because I know that's what made me start drawing, and it actually made me improve quite a bit. Problem is, now that I want to get rid of this style it seems like it's impossible. Even my figure drawings look rather manga-ish to me, and I really wanted to at least get my drawings to a semi-realistic level.

I don't consider myself a bad artist (intermediate maybe?) but I'm starting to get really annoyed at the fact that I can't draw the way I want to. Does anyone have tips on how or what I should do?

Thanks in advance~

Old 05 May 2013   #2
The only want to correct this problem is to buckle down and study realistic anatomy/figure. In order to portray more realistic looking people, you have to first understand how real people are structured, the range of motion and articulation (stylized versions are often too exaggerated), and so on.

Do you have any quality anatomy/figure books that's not based on a stylized approach? If not, you need to get some. I listed recommendations in one of the sticky threads: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=166&t=226083

You should also read the sticky threads too--they contain lots of valuable information on how to improve effectively as an artist (instead of wasting years of your time getting nowhere).

Old 05 May 2013   #3
That's great advice

Originally Posted by Lunatique: The only want to correct this problem is to buckle down and study realistic anatomy/figure. In order to portray more realistic looking people, you have to first understand how real people are structured, the range of motion and articulation (stylized versions are often too exaggerated), and so on.

Do you have any quality anatomy/figure books that's not based on a stylized approach? If not, you need to get some. I listed recommendations in one of the sticky threads: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=166&t=226083

You should also read the sticky threads too--they contain lots of valuable information on how to improve effectively as an artist (instead of wasting years of your time getting nowhere).

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread