Paul Gerrard :: Meet the Artist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2011   #16
Just a note to people checking this thread, the image at the top links to a feature story. I didn't know until I actually linked to it from a different site.

Old 04 April 2011   #17
Scifi

I wonder if there is a difference between seeing your work on screen after working 6 months, than if you were really involved in creating something that might be closer to truth, that would have taken years of reflexions and research before putting it on screen?

I am asking this, because I am involve in a project that didn't satisfy me until I could come up with something that could really occur! It is why most of my project is based on true events and discoveries, rather than from my imagination. I know that some artists do needs to make a lot of research before creating their concepts, but I am curious at what priority you gave to your research for truth?

From a creative stand point, what is the most important?

Last edited by Sentrynox : 04 April 2011 at 04:31 AM.

Old 04 April 2011   #18

Hello ...
Have you labeled the people in your starting art that this method and your ugly at the same time beautiful not scary ugly but I mean of course your start in art and not now?

Because I sometimes exercise this kind of drawing, but describes the people working there is the fear and ugly and beautiful at the same time

Unfortunately, if the words were not clear because I do not speak good English Language

Old 04 April 2011   #19
Amazing concept arts!

When I saw that movie, the first thing I told myself was, WOW! Who has created those Aliens? Those are the best I ever saw in my life! I was awestruck!

Then came the GI with their guns killing Aliens...

I mean, how on Earth could some specie able to travel lightyears, harnessing energies beyond our capabilities, being killed by stupid bullets? That was so unrealistic!

Even Star Trek is unrealistic! I mean, for an Alien specie to travel light years, they need to harness the energy of their sun! Being capable of doing so, will mean that they destructive potentials to be equivalent to being capable to explode a Sun or even a solar system!

For me that was, what killed that movie! But the concepts of those Aliens and spaceships were outstandings!

Last edited by Sentrynox : 04 April 2011 at 04:32 AM.

Old 04 April 2011   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentryknox
When I saw that movie, the first thing I told myself was, WOW! Who has created those Aliens? Those are the best I ever saw in my life! I was awestruck!

Then came the GI with their guns killing Aliens...

I mean, how on Earth could some specie able to travel lightyears, harnessing energies beyond our capabilities, being killed by stupid bullets? That was so unrealistic!

Even Star Trek is unrealistic! I mean, for an Alien specie to travel light years, they need to harness the energy of their sun! Being capable of doing so, will mean that they destructive potentials to be equivalent to being capable to explode a Sun or even a solar system!

For me that was, what killed that movie! But the concepts of those Aliens and spaceships were outstandings!

Not to derail the thread, but you are assuming that an alien race that can travel across the stars has evolved that ability technologically in the same way that humans would.

In fact, our venture to the stars, with the discovery of technology that allowed us to put man on the moon is nothing short of random chance.
If you look at the events leading up to World War II, where most of the technology that put man on the moon was developed during war times, it becomes apparent that if one or two rather minor events never occurred, that World War II would never have happened,(essentially, the butterfly effect) and humans would be 50 - 60 years behind in technology than where we are now.

Its like when its assumed that liquid water is needed for life to evolve, or that a civilization couldn't advance without the wheel.

I'm in no way saying that space travel wouldn't mean that a species is advanced technologically beyond what we as a race could possibly conceive, but to assume that because they are advanced in one way, they would be advanced across the board is presumptuous. Their planet could have some form of naturally occurring renewable energy source that emits massive amounts of power. Perhaps their 'sun' is a stable black hole which allows easy space travel? They are an alien civilization....the normal rules don't apply to them.

To take this back to the concept art, when designing an entire species, do you also design a back story for them?

Old 04 April 2011   #21
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
Not to derail the thread, but you are assuming that an alien race that can travel across the stars has evolved that ability technologically in the same way that humans would.

In fact, our venture to the stars, with the discovery of technology that allowed us to put man on the moon is nothing short of random chance.
If you look at the events leading up to World War II, where most of the technology that put man on the moon was developed during war times, it becomes apparent that if one or two rather minor events never occurred, that World War II would never have happened,(essentially, the butterfly effect) and humans would be 50 - 60 years behind in technology than where we are now.

Its like when its assumed that liquid water is needed for life to evolve, or that a civilization couldn't advance without the wheel.

I'm in no way saying that space travel wouldn't mean that a species is advanced technologically beyond what we as a race could possibly conceive, but to assume that because they are advanced in one way, they would be advanced across the board is presumptuous. Their planet could have some form of naturally occurring renewable energy source that emits massive amounts of power. Perhaps their 'sun' is a stable black hole which allows easy space travel? They are an alien civilization....the normal rules don't apply to them.

To take this back to the concept art, when designing an entire species, do you also design a back story for them?

While I would have agreed with you a few years ago, I did learn and study enough to find out that basic rules apply to everyone! The concept of war you are talking about might have been timely, but it wouldn't have stiffle our technological breakthrough very much. Only the momemtum behind a war, that drives some ideas can make those ideas stand out from others.
Anyways, when you understand that water is the sole medium for biochemical reactions to occur at complex levels (I don't talk about amino acids here, just normal biomechanical functions), its easy to see that while Aliens organic will look like different than ours (through different chemical substituants), they will rather function like us! Some of them will need to find ways to escape their gravitational pull, while some others might live in water, making this problem easier to solve for them than for us.

But one thing is to remember, in order to spread to the stars, one needs a civilization that has reach an energetic distribution efficiency much more efficient than ours! In other words, they will be economically, much more savvy than what we can see on Earth! Yes they can find pretty nasty energy sources, but who says powerful energy source, also says huge blasts! If not then, it will take very advance technologies to take something very stable (like water) to create energy out of it (Fusion reactor). So, such Aliens, would likely just wipe us out in a way that is much more energetically savvy than using simple bullets... Because, one thing that an Alien living in space, has that we don't is TIME! And one thing they won't have to spare is their life! So if we follow basic economic rules, those Aliens, won't seek to waste their energy blasting us with energy weapons, while they have the means to avoid that!

By the way, to answer your question from a scriptwriter point of view, I did have to write about all the economics of that Alien specie for my project. But in order to do so, I was to learn how our world was working, before even dreaming creating another one... 19 years later, I can say job done!
Because of this, I did create their social fabrics, their teaching systems, their urbanism, describe some technologies that might be millions of years ahead of us, create their religion (that must be adapted to their space faring reality) and their own history... But the most difficult was their political and economic systems! It would have been simpler to create insects instead, but there wouldn't be much fun at all! http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Its why, I would have loved working with Paul on some concepts of mine! I guess he would have enjoy it too! http://forums.cgsociety.org/newrepl...eply&p=6949427#

Last edited by Sentrynox : 04 April 2011 at 01:15 AM.

Old 04 April 2011   #22
Its not related to this movie, but i would like to know, Your opinion.
What is most important for the freelancer concept artist ? first thought.

and thanks. im going to see the movie asap.

Cheers
Kait

Old 04 April 2011   #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentrynox
I wonder if there is a difference between seeing your work on screen after working 6 months, than if you were really involved in creating something that might be closer to truth, that would have taken years of reflexions and research before putting it on screen?

I am asking this, because I am involve in a project that didn't satisfy me until I could come up with something that could really occur! It is why most of my project is based on true events and discoveries, rather than from my imagination. I know that some artists do needs to make a lot of research before creating their concepts, but I am curious at what priority you gave to your research for truth?

From a creative stand point, what is the most important?

Im not sure, I have been working on something for a very long time. Indeed years of research personal and proffessional is being channeled into the project and I wonder if I will ever want to release it because it has become so personal.

I did put allot of research into BLA but onky on the asthetic after the core designs where firmly planted. Once those core designs where rooted you can kind of relax and have fun. I know what you mean if the project is based on truth it would be much harder to rleax .

'This is not horror, this is undefined reality'

Old 04 April 2011   #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kait
Its not related to this movie, but i would like to know, Your opinion.
What is most important for the freelancer concept artist ? first thought.

and thanks. im going to see the movie asap.

Cheers
Kait

First thought, the subject matter. Im not saying I will always be doing sci-fi or horror but it helps when yout inspired from the get go.

Old 04 April 2011   #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad-O

Hello ...
Have you labeled the people in your starting art that this method and your ugly at the same time beautiful not scary ugly but I mean of course your start in art and not now?

Because I sometimes exercise this kind of drawing, but describes the people working there is the fear and ugly and beautiful at the same time

Unfortunately, if the words were not clear because I do not speak good English Language

There is so much beauty in decay. In machines and twisted bones, I love it. These to me are not horror, of even scary. Not to me, designed for others but I love this stuff.

Old 04 April 2011   #26
lol I went to see the movie because of the fluid effects explosions. Im not sure why the missiles were exploding pointlessly but they looked cool

The story sucked, it was like a really weird mix of blair witch project, saving private ryan and independence day - all abruptly ended with no resolution. As if the director expected the viewers to be eagerly panting for more gripping details of personal sacrifice in Battle of LA 2 - Judgement Day.

In the few shots where we actually did see the aliens. They may have looked unique (kind of far to really tell), but they acted exactly like mo-capped humans.

congratulations on the spotlight

Old 04 April 2011   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallow
Im not sure, I have been working on something for a very long time. Indeed years of research personal and proffessional is being channeled into the project and I wonder if I will ever want to release it because it has become so personal.

I did put allot of research into BLA but onky on the asthetic after the core designs where firmly planted. Once those core designs where rooted you can kind of relax and have fun. I know what you mean if the project is based on truth it would be much harder to rleax .

I understand that a project may become way to personal to release it... In my case I was fortunate enough to work on a project that did only become personal, on a mission level... In other words, my project becomes so meaningful to me and everyone else, that I couldn't do otherwise than finding a way to share it!

Aesthetics is indeed very important in designs, but less than the symbolisms and the myths (history) behind geometries! Impacts on the human psyche is so important, that designs must not escape it!

How do you put in use symbolisms in your designs? I guess its hard to always figure out, which symbols is important in a particular scene. Or you might prefer express your own story using symbolisms, so to print your influences upon the minds?

Old 04 April 2011   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallow
There is so much beauty in decay. In machines and twisted bones, I love it. These to me are not horror, of even scary. Not to me, designed for others but I love this stuff.

Yes, Your words are beautiful and clear
But like what you said earlier in the English language is not a good one so I can not convey the information well
Thank you,

Old 05 May 2011   #29

Unfortunately for the inconvenience
I wanted to ask
Are some of the visionaries who Ilhmonak some of their work they are interested in Ba:
Brutal architecture Corbusier
And engine
ering drawing
?
I note you care what the reason many sculpture
(Sculpture)
.!?

Old 05 May 2011   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooch
lol I went to see the movie because of the fluid effects explosions. Im not sure why the missiles were exploding pointlessly but they looked cool

they were slowing down, before the impact*

Thread Closed share thread