CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kekai Kotaki
Lead Concept Artist
ArenaNet
Seattle, USA

Send a message via AIM to prostrise Send a message via MSN to prostrise
Thanks Dave!

Setha - Yes I usually start with a grey scale drawing, and it serves as my sketch too. Yes it's a good idea to practice form life but remember at the same time being able to still use your imagination to use all that knowledge to bring a fantasical image to life.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
RicoD
ke, ke, ke!

portfolio
Ricardo Roberto van Duuren
Freelance Illustrator - concept artist
RICOD
Utrecht, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to RicoD
Hi Kekai, nice to see you do this! Lol, it looks like you're everywhere I look lately!

I have a question about something I read on your blog. You mentioned how you've been using custom shapes more lately. I wonder in what manner. Do you make interesting shapes and save these or make 'shape templates' of shapes you use often or something completely different?
My blog

Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
takezo300I

portfolio
J K
USA

I know I'm a bit late, but I'd like to know if the late(God, I hate saying this!) Frank Frazetta had any influence, or anything from Brom to Bisley had any influence as well?

Heh, All you need is to take a look at my gallery to answer that question about myself!

Thanks again, for showing up and taking time out to answer our questions!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #19
JM-art
Expert

portfolio
Juan Martin
3d Freelancer
3DF
Capital Federal, Argentina

Hi Kekai...I want to ask...in your experience, what are 3 of the most important things to put the energy and time for a person that is trying to learn and develop skills in the concept art.

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #20
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

I don't really have any questions. More of a comment. I've been here six years and have never clicked on "meet the Artist" The artists actually respond! Very cool!

Kekai, nice work!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #21
Kenworx
Ko Kennedy ahau

portfolio
Kennedy Kioa Faimanifo
CG Generalist
Kenworx
Auckland, New Zealand

Send a message via MSN to Kenworx
Talking

Kia ora, Talofa to you Kekai. Just wanted to say how great it is too see Pacific island artitsts. If I'm correct you are from Hawaii. Awesome stuff and for some reason I see in a lot of your work a big of pacific flavor. We have a thread in the group collab forum its all new to us but we are working from the ground up on a film based around Maori/Pacific culture. One of my guys I reckon has a similar style to yours. Feel free to check it out sometime. Link

Again great work, hope to buy the book sometime.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
crowhorn52
portfolio
Anna Rudnicki
Technical Director / Motion Capture Artist
University of Worcester
Worcester, United Kingdom

Smile

Dear Kekai Kotaki,

Your work is truly inspirational. I love your style of work and when I saw my fiancé had bought me the GW2 concept art book (funnily enough, we met on Guild Wars... 5 years ago! It's our anniversary soon!), I flicked right to your pages to see what you'd created. Your image, "Jora" is still one of my favourites (could be my love of that bear and druid stuff). Your art reminds me a bit of Kazuma Kaneko (concept artist for the Shin Megami Tensei games).. It has to be said that your work is definitely the "face" of the upcoming Guild Wars game at the moment.. much like Kazuma has always been associated with Shin Megami Tensei. How did you get to that moment and is it daunting? It sounds like something we'd all like to achieve! Have you always been interested in games and conceptual work? I've always been interested in games, but until recently, I hadn't thought of making it a career and am unsure how to break into this seemingly elusive industry!

Many best wishes Mr Kotaki, thank you for sharing your time and your work with us.
Anna

Old 06-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #23
DM613
portfolio
DM613
novus
hefei, USA

I have to admit it's quite annoying when 3 of those are in your face. Kinda hard to aim when your screen is full of blinking red dots. And in a dark map like that, you're a pretty easy target for snipers when your head is covered with those

Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #24
Aagam
portfolio
Rajesh
Streakz
Navi Mumbai, India

Among the Best...
Great write up !

Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #25
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread