Meet the Artist: Grant Freckelton, Animal Logic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2007   #16
Hi Grant, much respect for your talent.

Can you explain a bit further how you go about colour grading the film? I read over at fxguide about the concept of "crushing the blacks" etc. But can you take us through a typical shot and how it is done?

How do you find After Effects compared to other compositing packages in terms of performance and workflow? I'm learning a great deal about AE recently and i'm always interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Oh and great idea using balsamic vinegar as a test shot. Did any of that end up in the actual film?

Old 03 March 2007   #17
Hey Grant i wanted to say great movie,

I also had a couple of quick questions,

1) What if any degree do most of the artists that work at your study have(just wondering cause i am going to study computer science in the next year but i would like to get involved at a studio and work on projects like yours)?

2) How did you get involved in doing films?

Old 03 March 2007   #18
Guys, keep the politics off this thread. I think people already "get" that it's not based on reality.

Grant, congratulation on that tremendous job. It must have been great to have such influence on the look of this movie. I wish we still had you on CNet

PS: I was bummed to see me and anyone who'd left AL before the movie was released not getting a credit.

Wiro

Old 03 March 2007   #19
Originally Posted by Wiro: PS: I was bummed to see me and anyone who'd left AL before the movie was released not getting a credit.

Wiro

That is a bit sucky. I'm always looking for your name in the credits!

Old 03 March 2007   #20
Feature posted on CGSociety

Hi guys,

I've posted the '300' feature story from a great interview done by Barbara Robertson with Grant. This should whet your appetite.

If you dont want to go back to the top, here is the link to the page. Right here

Old 03 March 2007   #21
Originally Posted by Wiro: Guys, keep the politics off this thread. I think people already "get" that it's not based on reality.

Grant, congratulation on that tremendous job. It must have been great to have such influence on the look of this movie. I wish we still had you on CNet

PS: I was bummed to see me and anyone who'd left AL before the movie was released not getting a credit.

Wiro

Man, I really hope my name is there, especially after missing out on Happy Feet modeling.

Congrates Grant very proud of you!

HoRse

Old 03 March 2007   #22
hometown

Hey Grant

Great to see someone from Perth aswell doing so well. Gives us all hope. Keep up the awesome work!

Eddie

Old 03 March 2007   #23
Hey man, a couple questions for you:

How does it feel making the movie of the year (it will be for sure :P )

and also im begging in all this stuff VFX and modeling and I was wondering is it better to go to schools or to just learn by yourself at home, and if you know of any schools around LA or newport beach (assuming you know southern california). Last question, it's scary getting into this CG stuff because there are no set jobs, your either good or your not... were you ever scared of not being good enough to get a job?

Old 03 March 2007   #24
I thought the movie rocked. Great Job!!!

Old 03 March 2007   #25
How about some more interviews?

What up!

Is it anyway possible to get interviews with the talented professionals who actually created the elements of 300? You know whoever animated, modeled, and lit the gigantic cg animals? Or the INSANE spurts of blood and appendages coming out of and off the persians?

I just think it would be interesting to see the work flow and "proprietary" software used to tackle such a badass movie in so LITTLE time!

I had a question! Why do the elephants that are actually in the movie look nothing like the concepts displayed on page one. It would have been awesome if the elephants could have stabbed a bunch of spartans with a foot spike! Narly.

Old 03 March 2007   #26
Hi Grant,

I have a general question. Is it possible that you could tell me how many artists were working on concepts? I assume they used concept artists. Did they work throughout production? Any chance to name those individuals?

Thanks, and not really seen 300, but will do soon!

Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2007   #27
Were you ever on set for the filming, or did you just use the material they provided?

Old 03 March 2007   #28
OK guys.

Please remember, this is the CGSociety. This is a forum for discussion about the artist's work. Go read the feature we have all worked hard on please, go see the film they have all worked hard on, and come back with positive, constructive questions for Grant.

The film is an immense depiction of Frank Miller's comic, '300'. Think CG.

Old 03 March 2007   #29
roughly

hi i havent seen the movie yet (hasent come out in sweden yet) and i was just wondering roughly how many mattepaintings were there throughout the movie? and how many painters were there?

never worked on a big movie before only commercials so far and i was thinking how does it feel to spend so much time and energy on one single Shot/project?

thanks for your time! love to see more from you.

Old 03 March 2007   #30
I rarely post threats, but come on guys, please be civil here. This is a Q&A session with an art director. If you have beef with the story and characters, write to Frank Miller (the author of the graphic novel on which the film is based) and complain.

If you're going to post in here, please make your post a constructive, relevant question pertaining to Grant's work on the film.

Any posts that do not fit the above description may be removed, and the author may find himself/herself unable to post again. Ever.

Thanks.

Thread Closed share thread