Meet the Artist: David Levy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
Lunatique>>
- We do not need a member as of now, but maybe in a short while
- I prefer to stop at rough stages usually. Most of the time, it takes a while to approve a sketch, but once it is nailed down, it's a fairly smooth road after.

Last edited by vyle-art : 06 June 2006 at 07:28 PM.

06 June 2006
Thank you for taking the time to do this. It is very kind of you.

How much did graduating with honors influence your first employer's decision to hire you? If I understand the first post correctly you have two BS degrees is that correct?

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by vyle-art: GoranNF>> I am not Dutch (I hope I did not disappoint you!) but I owe a lot to your country, and especially their teachers, and the amazing friendliness of the people I met. I was born in France, but have not lived there for the last 10 years.

Thx for the kind words by the way! I did not expect that many questions that fast!

No ofcourse you didn't dissappoint me.I'm actually not Dutch too,I'm born in Iraq but at the moment I live in The Netherlands. Oh almost forgotten:thanx for taking the time to do an interview for CGtalk.

06 June 2006
Thanks for your time mister Vyle!

I really love your stuff, great atmosphere and everything! I live in the Netherlands and I hope to get as good as you are, it's just that I don't really know what school to go to now.

- Does the academy in Maastricht teach the basics you were talking about (like anatomy, composition etc.) or is it all just about expression and arty art?
I'm studying by myself now, but I think a good art school would be a nice idea. It's just that I can't seem to find a school that also teaches these important basics.
I was almost thinking about finding a school outside the Netherlands, but now that I see you went to the Netherlands I'm starting to doubt more and more.

- Oh and do you do mostly game concepts or also many side projects, and is there any difference (in the kind of project) between art you do at work and at home?

06 June 2006
Thanks for your time mister Vyle!

I really love your stuff, great atmosphere and everything! I live in the Netherlands and I hope to get as good as you are, it's just that I don't really know what school to go to now.

- Does the academy in Maastricht teach the basics you were talking about (like anatomy, composition etc.) or is it all just about expression and arty art?
I'm studying by myself now, but I think a good art school would be a nice idea. It's just that I can't seem to find a school that also teaches these important basics.
I was almost thinking about finding a school outside the Netherlands, but now that I see you went to the Netherlands I'm starting to doubt more and more.

- Oh and do you do mostly game concepts or also many side projects, and is there any difference (in the kind of project) between art you do at work or at home?

06 June 2006
Any plans to release a dvd.:)

Hey, David

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. Very informative. Your work is inspirational.

Any plans to release a painting dvd? I saw a quicktime movie of a painting demo you did on cgchannel, any plans to expand on these in your own dvd?

06 June 2006
David,

your stuff is truly second to none. i got no questions just a bit shock and awe
cheers.

06 June 2006
se7enthcin>>
- I got a BA in Interior architecture and industrial design in Maastricht.
I first got a diploma in France (called a BTS) that is pretty much the equivalent to a BA in industrial design in UK, US and other countries. When I arrived in Holland, and after they checked what I could do, they accepted me in final year so I could pass my diploma in interior architecture. So I got a french and an internationally recognized degree in 4 years.

- My diploma was not useful on my first job, as I had been asked to work there a year before, but it got VERY useful, when I decided to work in the US, as french diplomas were NOT recognized, but the B.A was. If it was not for Holland, I would have never been able to travel as much as I had desired. At the time, when you were an artist, french diplomas had no weight whatsoever in the eyes of an immigration lawyer...
Also what attracted the new employers, was the fact that I had used 3D in an interior architecture project, and at the time it was quite something to create a building, and do a flyby in wireframe! Wow!!

The school I did in France (la Grande Tourrache, also called EID) is the one that offered me to go under the Erasmus project in another European country. Great industrial design school by the way.

Last edited by vyle-art : 06 June 2006 at 08:55 PM.

06 June 2006
hey!

excellent stuff - long time no chat!

keep in touch :-)

Jonny

06 June 2006
Ismail>>
Not sure how much I can talk about it, but gnomon is reviewing right now a project that took me 3 months to put together for them. It is about the photoshop techniques I use for speedpaintings, adapted to a production pipeline.
It will be along the same lines as the avi you saw, but in a much more detailed and explained manner. In this DVD I start from scratch, just with a round brush and an airbrush, until the final illustration piece using more complex techniques and a set of 15 or so brushes, that will be available on the DVD along with the PSD's.

FUNGUS>> ! Hey ! Miss you man!! I hope everything's fine in L.A

Last edited by vyle-art : 06 June 2006 at 11:22 PM.

06 June 2006
Hey David ! just wanted to drop by and say hi , and thanks for answering all those questions .

06 June 2006
Question Toshop is always your favorite tool?

Does not exist any other exiting painting prog?
Have fun painting!

Last edited by Frenchy Pilou : 06 June 2006 at 11:14 PM.

06 June 2006
Hi Frenchy Pilou. I remember you from another forum that starts with a Z if I am right ?
I read your threads there very regularly.
ZBrush is probably side by side with photoshop on my top softwares, although I use it less due toe the fact that the work I do right now is very limited creatively, and does not leave me much margin for madness. Let's say I use it quite often, but not as much as I would love to.
I sincerely believe, that the future of concept art is in a sculpting software.

MV>>
We should meet one day! I really enjoy your work, I am sure we would have lots to discuss!
Thanks for passing by!

Last edited by vyle-art : 06 June 2006 at 11:31 PM.

06 June 2006
Vyle,

First off, your work is really inspiring and very photographic, you can almost taste and smell the environments.

My questions are straight forward:
1) When you block out your color, do you first start in black and white then go to color.
2) when you are doing lighting on a huge environment, how do you keep track of all the highlights,shadows etc I tend to get lost sometimes figuring out where things go on huge environments.
3)Do you use any 3D in your work?
4) I would love to see tutorials from you, you mentioned you made some for CgChannel do you have a URL.

06 June 2006
Hello

My favorite is the following... I really loved it ...
http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/me...avidlevy_06.jpg

I really wonder, how long have you been in the CG world?
You are amazing... once your Gnomon DVD s out I guess I am one of the first to buy it

I live in Montreal too ... How long have you been in Ubisoft?

Once I am at some level... I like to apply there too... For now I am practicing CG just as an hobby ... I never was serrious about getting a job (probably I will just keep dreaming to get one )

Too bad that all the people who really know how to run the country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair.

Thread Closed share thread