Meet the Artist: Colin Strause, [Hydraulx]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2006   #31
Arrow

Hey Collin,

if you had a chance to travel through time and remake the vfx of a movie... or maybe even just a single sequence of a flick of your choice... one you really liked or disliked, but that you didn't have anything to do with... which one would it be ? ...and why pleaz ?

An other quick question, what type of VFX would you say is the most difficult to achieve nowadays ?

Thanks for your time,

pe@ce

Adriano

Old 02 February 2006   #32
Colin,

Nice that you're doing the QA. Now for the questions...

1. What's it like working with family and who wins in the fights between you and Greg?

2. Can you give an example of what your best guy in the trench is capable of?

3. What's the one word to describe what contributes to Hydraulx's success?

Thanks for your time,

Lu

Old 02 February 2006   #33
I'm assuming with the move to the new building, you've added more space for the dead hooker collection, if not, then I am truly dissapointed in you.

p.s. Tell your dad I said hi.

Old 02 February 2006   #34
Originally Posted by BillSpradlin: I'm assuming with the move to the new building, you've added more space for the dead hooker collection, if not, then I am truly dissapointed in you.

p.s. Tell your dad I said hi.

Of course we did... and we added a few other things too.

Old 02 February 2006   #35
Originally Posted by Adriano_Zanetti: Hey Collin,

if you had a chance to travel through time and remake the vfx of a movie... or maybe even just a single sequence of a flick of your choice... one you really liked or disliked, but that you didn't have anything to do with... which one would it be ? ...and why pleaz ?

An other quick question, what type of VFX would you say is the most difficult to achieve nowadays ?

Thanks for your time,

pe@ce

Adriano

I would fix the space ship shots in Dune. Those things looked like they we made with crayons.

As for tricky effects, I would say water/fluid systems still ranks up there on the hard to-do list.

Old 02 February 2006   #36
Originally Posted by Dennik: Hey Colin, great to see you doing this Q&A

I have one question for you. How does the fact that you own your studio, oppress your need to create? With all the responsibilities that you have regarding management, and all kinds of things unrelated to art, are there moments that you wish you'd rather be an employee instead?

Again its great to see you around here in CGtalk, your opinion is always straight to the point, very mature and valuable.

At one level, no one "creates" thier own art in the film world. All we do is bring other people's ideas to life (either the director's, studio's, ad agency's, writer's, etc, etc), and I actually enjoy that part of the job as an artist and company owner. The fun is taking an idea trapped in someone elses mind and bringing it to reality.

As for being an employee, I still like hunkering down in the trenches as the finish line nears, but I also enjoy the power of sterring the ship through the mind fields as well at the same time. You see, I don't look at my management tasks as being unrelated to the "art," I see at as the only way to make sure the "art" isn't forgotten or destroyed.

Old 02 February 2006   #37
Originally Posted by Jackdeth: Of course we did... and we added a few other things too.

Word. Maybe one day I'll stop by and check the new digs out, after you guys get settled in of course. I can harass Vinh as well when I'm there...

Old 02 February 2006   #38
Hey Colin, Much respect for you and your company. great oppinions

I like your vision on attitude to skill. Also about enjoying what you do, and wishing for more hours in the day ... So often I feel the same.

Questions

>> Other than attitude what are the major problems, or pitfalls that you are faced with from new grad students in the 3D / CG industry, What does hydraulx look for in a good demo reel?

>> Do you have any future plans or wishes to produce your own full feature CG , or do you preffer the versatility of commercials, music videos?

best of luck with the new studio location

Last edited by Burkester : 02 February 2006 at 06:57 AM.

Old 02 February 2006   #39
Good work!

Hey Colin. wow, that work looks awesome. Can you list the artist that worked on those shots?

-------------------------------------------

Old 02 February 2006   #40
Hi Colin,

My wishes to you!
i'm a newbie, Can you tell me the softwares which you work from day in to day out
at your studio?

Old 02 February 2006   #41
Colin,

I think I speak for us all when saying thanks for being here and taking the time on this thread. Referring back to the "SideFX knowledge = easy in" comment earlier, I don't think knowing the software alone would guarantee a job at a major studio.

When recruiting, do you spark an interest in artists with a strong art background, but with a beginner/intermediate level knowledge of Houdini and Maya?

I understand it takes a great amount of time on the software in order to translate the ideas into imagery, but not all of us are power-nerds...yet

organica

First post! yeah!

Old 02 February 2006   #42
Originally Posted by rajkr: Hi Colin,

My wishes to you!
i'm a newbie, Can you tell me the softwares which you work from day in to day out
at your studio?

The company uses Maya, MentalRay, Inferno, Syflex, Realflow, Massive, photoshop, shake, finalcut, etc, etc.

As for me, my main piece of software is Maya, MentalRay, and Inferno.

Old 02 February 2006   #43
Originally Posted by Burkester: Hey Colin, Much respect for you and your company. great oppinions

I like your vision on attitude to skill. Also about enjoying what you do, and wishing for more hours in the day ... So often I feel the same.

Questions

>> Other than attitude what are the major problems, or pitfalls that you are faced with from new grad students in the 3D / CG industry, What does hydraulx look for in a good demo reel?

>> Do you have any future plans or wishes to produce your own full feature CG , or do you preffer the versatility of commercials, music videos?

best of luck with the new studio location

-One of the biggest pitfalls with many students is thier total lack loyalty, and lack of fore-sight.

-I wouldn't ever do a fully CG movie, I perfer blending live-action with CG.

Old 02 February 2006   #44
you say you prefer blending live action with CG.... why? Also, if you think that opinion could change, what would it take for you to be swayed to the opposite?

do you think green screen acting is convincing enough most of the time? Animated acting? Do you think either of these have equal potential with being of supreme quality so in the end it's simply a matter of opinion?
Thanks for taking the time, props

Old 02 February 2006   #45
Hi Colin!
First of all: I don't know if you noticed it yourself, and I don't wanna seem to be 'selfish' or so, but I saw that you didn't answer some questions on the first page... Otherwise it's so sad that only the other ones are answered...

Its so very cool that you're "one of the big guys in the current VFX-industry". The fact you still have time to be on CGTalk proves how much passion you have for your work (well... in fact every CG artist should have that passion, but sometimes I wonder/doubt if the people in the ILM (or other) VFXfactory also have that much passion...). Setting up an own VFX-compagny, and growing out to be one of the biggest and working on the best feature films, would seem impossible, but you prove that it is possible!

My questions to you:
  • Did you ever concidered to do feature film direction, instead of 'only dealing with the VFX'. I notice for myself that you learn and do so much on VFX directing, that you almost are a real director yourself! Have you never been attracted to do films that don't contain (visible) VFX at all, but that you'd just love to work on that movie?
  • How is it to be more like a coordinator/owner of a vfx-studio, instead of working in it yourself? Do you like the responsibility without playing a big part in the creative process? Or do you still deliver input into the creative parts?
  • How is it when a client likes a shot in its current state and says "it's finished in his eyes", while you don't think it does look finished/polished yet? Can such shots satisfy you when you look back on them?
  • Do you like the idea of "doing as much as possible in post" (such as relighting, retexturing etc), or do you still better trust the "lets do it all in 3D"-methods? Do you think that the technology will lead to it, that a director can say what to tweak and that you do it realtime? Or is that yet the current workflow (on the Infernos)?
  • What do you think to be a good way to get a job in the CG industry? Around here is not one VFX studio (in Holland are just 2 'big compagnies), and the advertising studios don't seam to have interest. I'm selftrained and studying Industrial Design now, but in my spare time I keep doing CG. Do you have clear ways/tips to get people seriously looking at you. I have been doing lots of non-profit CG work/graphical work for 3 years now, and it's getting time to get some profit of it!
Thanks for the time and lots of luck and fun on upcoming projects!
-Gijs

Thread Closed share thread