Meet the Artist: Colin Strause, [Hydraulx]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2006
Hey Colin, nice to see you doing a Q&A, Just a few questions for now, what is it like having two directors for various projects? Is there a lot of conflict, not enough. (Edit: your bro can pitch in on this one too)

Describe a typical day at the shop. What activity do you do the most? this question is just out of curiosity.

02 February 2006
Hey Colin,

no questions...just wanted to say I always love reading your posts...you cut to the point, no BS (although I haven't seen you post much lately)

good luck with your company

Ryan Heuett

02 February 2006
Amazing stuff.

Some questions:
1. What keeps you going?
2. What is the worst situation you have encountered at your work?
3. Latest fxshot that made you go WOW?

Thank you, all the best!

Jari Saarinen

02 February 2006
Hey Jackdeth, thanks for doing this. I look forward to reading your replies. I've had something on my mind lately and you seem like a good person to ask since you are a very hardworking and driven individual.

I've been making my way into the 3D industry for the last couple years, putting a ton of time and effort into my studies and working alot to support myself. (Doing games now, but hopefully film someday). For example, for the last 8 or 9 months I've probably been averaging 70 - 80 hours a week or so (work during the summer, school in the Fall/Winter). Most people would think that's kind of crazy and not a good thing to do, and I would agree. But I absolutely love what I'm doing and I'm very happy with my progress and I'm excited to see where I wind up. I often times find myself telling myself I need to relax and time some time off, but I don't. As for the health aspect, I don't smoke, rarely drink, in good shape, I exercise 4 or 5 days a week, eat very good, drink lots of water and take good vitamins, so I am handling he workload pretty well, for the most part. (do drink a bit of coffee pretty much everyday though). I don't see myself doing this forever, but I'd like to see how far I can go over the next couple years.

So my question is, what advice, warnings or guidance would you offer to someone who's motivation towards their craft is a little excessive or extreme like this?

Thanks for your time.

02 February 2006
Hi Colin,

I remember that that I read a thread some time ago, where you described how you and your brother started working on cg and that it was a very hard time. Hearing that story was really a good motivation for me. So I want to congratulate you that you didn't give up and are now runnning a successful studio and besides that also find the time to contribute a lot here on cgtalk.

02 February 2006
hey hey Jackdeth on the place..

Good to see you here Colin,not much question just congrats on the tremenduous work you've achieve so far.

cheers

02 February 2006
on the business side of things, where there any intial walls that were hit when you founded your own studio? any difficulty finding clients or hiring employees? any tips you could give to prospective studio founders?

thanks colin! great work you've done so far, keep going.

02 February 2006
yo Colin!

wanna ask U about CG job market, currently we got here many, many people which try to get into this biz, many artist.... most people say that software knowledge won't give a job, it's simple that if one knows app A or B won't get a job just becouse he knows it, that's true, but... I've heard from some people that if one knows this app from SideFx(U know what I'm talking about, big 'H') then companies will fight among them to get him/she work for them, and I'm not talking here about super/mega/duper advanced users of it, but rather intermediate user.

What do U think about it?

02 February 2006
Colin,

Saw you on "The Fog" supliment. Great stuff. I was wondering 2 things;
1) Does the number of employees fluctuate between jobs? and
2) Has the internet ever helped you land a gig, or do you pretty much have to be "where the action is"?
Thanks,
E.

02 February 2006
no questions just respect for hard work and as Dirtystimpy said, thanks for no BS.

02 February 2006
Hey Jackdeath,

You guys put out some great work. Thanks for taking the time to do this Q&A.

Here are a few questions in no particular order:

What's your method of landing gigs? Is it mostly word of mouth, or do you have an agent?

How do you handle negativity aimed at you or your company? (I remember seeing some survey or something a while back on the web that had some negative things about almost every studio around)

What's the hardest part about your job?

Do you still find time to hang out in the trenches of production, or are you more of an exec/director type now who rarely does production himself?

Keep kicking out the good work!

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

02 February 2006
Hey Colin, great to see you doing this Q&A

I have one question for you. How does the fact that you own your studio, oppress your need to create? With all the responsibilities that you have regarding management, and all kinds of things unrelated to art, are there moments that you wish you'd rather be an employee instead?

Again its great to see you around here in CGtalk, your opinion is always straight to the point, very mature and valuable.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

02 February 2006
wow, most of my questions have been asked already

thx anyway well done

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by fattkid: Hey Jackdeth, thanks for doing this. I look forward to reading your replies. I've had something on my mind lately and you seem like a good person to ask since you are a very hardworking and driven individual.

I've been making my way into the 3D industry for the last couple years, putting a ton of time and effort into my studies and working alot to support myself. (Doing games now, but hopefully film someday). For example, for the last 8 or 9 months I've probably been averaging 70 - 80 hours a week or so (work during the summer, school in the Fall/Winter). Most people would think that's kind of crazy and not a good thing to do, and I would agree. But I absolutely love what I'm doing and I'm very happy with my progress and I'm excited to see where I wind up. I often times find myself telling myself I need to relax and time some time off, but I don't. As for the health aspect, I don't smoke, rarely drink, in good shape, I exercise 4 or 5 days a week, eat very good, drink lots of water and take good vitamins, so I am handling he workload pretty well, for the most part. (do drink a bit of coffee pretty much everyday though). I don't see myself doing this forever, but I'd like to see how far I can go over the next couple years.

So my question is, what advice, warnings or guidance would you offer to someone who's motivation towards their craft is a little excessive or extreme like this?

Thanks for your time.

As long as you enjoy what you do, then I see no issue with working long hours. The key is having some hobbies (video games and sports) and finding good friends to share life with. Being a lonely mole isn't heathly, but there are no rewards if you take no risks. People always warn others about working too many hours, but I see it as the only way to really make it in this biz. There are too many companys and people fighting for a finite amount of work and money, so it all comes down to who wants it the most.

02 February 2006
What's your method of landing gigs? Is it mostly word of mouth, or do you have an agent?

It's been mostly word of mouth for the last 9 years. We finally got an in-house movie sales rep last year, and that has really helped to open up some new doors to us. But in the end, it comes down to Greg and I managing the clients and making sure everything is cool

How do you handle negativity aimed at you or your company? (I remember seeing some survey or something a while back on the web that had some negative things about almost every studio around)

I laugh at it. There were some classic quotes up there that we still joke about today on that site. There is nothing you can do about some haters, and I really don't have any free time to even give a crap about what they think. Some artists use anger to hide thier own in-abilities or lack of talent.

What's the hardest part about your job?

Dealing with the fact there are only 24 hours in a day. I also hate having to get rid of people.

Do you still find time to hang out in the trenches of production, or are you more of an exec/director type now who rarely does production himself?

Nope, I'm still in the trenches, but some of the artists here would like me on the box more than I am now.

Thread Closed share thread