portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Meet the Artist: Emile Ghorayeb

Emile Ghorayeb
Character Animator
PDI/DreamWorks

As a character animator at DreamWorks Animation, Emile Ghorayeb has the challenging task of translating character movements and emotions in accordance to the visions of the filmmakers. The success he’s had with completing this important duty can be seen in his work in the studio’s hit feature films Shrek 2 and Madagascar, as well as the spin-off short, The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper. He holds this same role on the third installment of Shrek, which is currently in production.

Before joining PDI/DreamWorks in 2003, Ghorayeb got his start in the gaming community at the renowned studio Ubisoft Entertainment, contributing to several projects in their cinematic department. Some of his credits there include Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, Batman: The New Adventures, Tarzan Untamed and many others.

Ghorayeb studied 3D animation at Inter-Dec College in Quebec and Fine Arts at Dawson College in Montreal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your questions or request for critique

The "Meet the Artists" forum provides a conducive environment where CGTalk members can have the opportunity to speak to some of the finest digital art talents in the world! CGTalk members can post questions and artwork, and have them answered or critiqued by these master artists. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable insight from seasoned industry veterans!

Rules for Q&A/Critique:
1. Use your real name (edit your CGTalk profile in UserCP). Note: Anonymous postings may be removed at CGTalk's discretion.
2. Please be polite when asking questions or for critique.
3. Check the whole thread to see if your question has already been asked. Do not post duplicate questions.
4. When posting critique, please use the CGTalk Attachments feature so that the artwork remains accessible.
5. Note that the Artist is under no obligation to answer all questions or critique all work posted. It is at his/her sole discretion to answer questions or critique work.
6. If the Artist does not answer your question or critique your work, do not harass him/her.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 02-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
MattVogt
WizzBangWrangler

portfolio
Matthew Vogt
Digital Artist
Vancouver, Canada

Hi Emile!
That's cool that you're doing a cgtalk interview - hopfully one day I'll do one too...

My Q:
When working with character rigs, do you you ever run into rigging problems? If so, do you ever fix them, or even add features yourself? Also, if they have to go back to the rigging dept, with your animation be preserved? Is this an often scenario?

Thanks man!

Matt

MattVogt.com

Old 02-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
baby
CG tourist

Charles B.
CG Monkey
France

Hey Emilio

no real questions...

just a little hello from old time colleague

Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
NeptuneImaging
Polygonal Assassin

portfolio
Kashif Riley
Generalist
KRGraphics
Boston, USA

Hello Emile, it is very good that you are going to be answering our questions. I saw Shrek 2 again last night, and it is still a beautiful film.

My question is, pertaining to MattVogt's rigging question, do you use some extra deformers in your rig for secondary motion, such as for jiggling muscle/breasts, and hanging objects like chains? Or do you create expressions to automate these tasks?

And do you often use video footage to time things like poses and timing? Such as recording yourself, let's say looking bored at a desk? Because I want to create a short film and I hear this is the "poor man's MOCAP".

Thanks in advance, looking forward to Shrek 3

Kashif R

Old 02-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
yolao
Lord of the posts
y.H.
Mexico

Hi Emile

Big congratulations for your work...is fantastic...

Sherk 2 has some of the most beautiful animations that i have ever seen in any cg animated movie, i want to ask you some things about it, please.

-1. in sherk 2 the facial expresions of sherk are fantastic, how many controls do you have to animate his face and how do you refer to that controls (i mean do you have some kind of pictures to represent each control or do you just have an iconic representation)?..

-2. How shrek's rig was build?....i mean with muscule system, blendshapes, corrective blenshapes...or maybe all?

-3. do you use MO CAP in some animations or is everything with key frame animation?

-4.what amount of work do you have to deliver each day or week?

best regards

Last edited by yolao : 02-06-2006 at 05:39 PM.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
paperclip
Better than staples.

portfolio
Theresa Ryan
Freelance illustrator
Theresa Ryan Visual Development
Castlebar, Ireland

Nice name, Emile. I like it!

Thanks for making yourself available for all of us here- much, much appreciated!

So, on with the questions- How did you find animating someone who's meant to be much taller and heavier than average? What sort of problems did you encounter & how did you get around them?

Once more: thanks man.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
kmest
a super sayajin jedi!

portfolio
Reza Farsad
VFX Artist, Look Dev
Polygon Pictures
Tokyo, Japan

Send a message via MSN to kmest Send a message via Yahoo to kmest
its good to have you here for Q&A...thanx cgtalk for bringing top artists here...

so some Questions:

1-how did you find caracter animating???i know you like it but are you stuck in it or you feel intrested and act in other parts like shading,modelings,rigging,texture???

2-for the overal moves and acts of a caracter,do they talk with animators before the animation process to hear theire sudgestions and opinion on each caracter moves and behaviors and then they start the animate part,or you just sit there,they say he must act like this,based on his personality,now its your art to put some fun and idea into it,limited in the overal actions/personality the director/s said....

3-what are the most challenging acts for you??funny moves,reastick?complicated moves???

4-what was the hardest shot you did?
what shots you like most?
is there a shot you did and you think you could do better???if yes,PLS tell which one(if you liked)

5-do you like animating the realstick caracters as well (yuda,gollum,kong,griveous ets...) or only funny fantasy ones (king luyi,shrek,donkey)??

anyway,thanks alot for answering

Last edited by kmest : 02-06-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
rafaelrubio
Frequenter

portfolio
Rafael Rubio Muñoz
Generalist
Gárgola Estudio
Cordoba, Spain

Hi Emile, regards from Spain.
First of all, i want to say you that i'm very happy with the opportunity to talk to you, and second, congratulate for your excellent work in your last films, specially Madagascar, one of better and funniest film i've seen in last years. I love Madagascar.

Here are my questions:

1. How do you think about the buy of Pixar by Disney? How can affect to the Cg Industry?
2. You are now making Shrek 3, and there are rumors that Shrek 4 it is in production or preproduction, don't think that the shrek character can lose his freshness, to turn into a repetitive character, in spite of good stories?
3. when you receive a shot, what's your planning just before start to animate? Draw some poses? record yourself at video? I would like to know how do you prepare yourselfjust before put your hands in computer.
4. Can you tell us a little about the life in PDI/Dreamworks? how is the environment?
5. Can you recommend me a good book not so famous like Illusion of Life or Animation Survival kit?
6. Have you got a personal webpage?

Well, thanks for dedicate your spare time with cgtalk users. Again, regards from Spain

PD: I want to see more films llike madagascar and madagascar penguins short!

Last edited by rafaelrubio : 02-06-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
HellBoy
Hobbyist

portfolio
N. Adam
United Kingdom

as kmest said, I'm glad to have really top cg artist here in Q&A

here's something I'd like to know

- What's a typical day like in the studio?

- What's your favourite 3d app

- and finally, what advice would you give students who's aiming to achieve what you achieved?

thanks alot m8

Old 02-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
petpetrol
Veteran

portfolio
Paul-Erik Trouwborst
Character Animator - 3D Artist
Netherlands

Thumbs up Which character?

Hi Emile,

First of all, I want to say that I really liked Shrek 2 and Madagascar. My question to you is what character you liked animating the most, both in Shrek 2 and Madagascar? And why them?

Greetz,

Paul-Erik

Old 02-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
kevan
Veteran

Kevan Shorey
Animator
Feature Animation
San Francisco, USA

Emilio's Website

Ooo! Ooo! I can answer that one!

Emilio's website is here:

http://www.emiliog.com/

Old 02-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
HamsaPaksham
Frequenter
portfolio
Luke Werhli
Brazil

How can you make your animations so alive?
What´s your secret? What technique do you use? Pose to pose? Straith ahead?
And can you please give us an special tip on how to improve our animations?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #13
alshakno
Hmmm

portfolio
Mohammad Ali Shakeri
Iran

Hi Emile,at now i m not intersted in animating but i love to watch it!
anyway i want to know what kind of music you listen?

Old 02-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
RobW720
animated monkey helmet

portfolio
Robert Wilson
Animator/Generalist
Hybrid medical animation
Rosemount, USA

Send a message via AIM to RobW720
Hey Thanks for doing this. I always love when someone takes the time out to help everyone in the community.

Mine is a question about general techniqe. Watching your Madagascar animation just makes me smile. I love how zippy and fast paced it is. I was just wondering the steps you take to do a shot. From concepts to blocking through all the passes to completion. Do you do the facial stuff first, last or somewhere inbetween?

Just curious how you get that sweet old warner brothers zippyness and great acting.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Hey Emile!

Glad to see you as featured artist man!

Can you tell us a bit aboutyour workflow? How do you start a shot and see it to completion? For example that shot where Alex is trying to keep melman from falling when he is stuck in a crate (my fav shot in the movie btw man , didnt know you did it)

-Stepped or spline? pepsi or coke?

-Any tips on how to keep the character alive during a moving hold? Right now thats my biggest challenge , keeping a character alive and not moving him too much when doing a moving hold.

cheers
-Ali

Last edited by SheepFactory : 02-06-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Thread Closed share thread