Meet the Artist: Carlos Baena

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
Hi MR.Baena! its really good to see u here! im o BIG FAN!

i had one question:Befor u get a career, Did u grow ur self as an animator,or a lover of all the stages of maing a 3danimation,i mean did u forexaple love Modelling as well,and then when u get some job,then u chose being animator? did u have both skills as well? and at the same amount !?

Somuch thanx....

Ali
[ Convertion is what which is happening to me... ]
aLi.

10 October 2005
Hello Carlos !!

Hi, This is my first oppurunity to post my question to you and I am super excited about it.
First of all Congratulations on fabulous work on Incredibles, I liked the line where Brad Bird says, when there trouble go to Spaniards !!! All those scenes that you have worked on are FANTASTIC. There so much to learn from you guys ( Bobby, cameron etc). My questions to you are,

1. I would like to know more about the process of interaction between you and Mr. Brad bird, What kind of correction do you used to get ? and how you used to solve them ?

2. Is there any thing which still gives you hard time while animating ?

Thats all I have to ask you for now

Thanks,

Vinayak A Pawar
Character Animator
Rhythm & Hues studio, India

10 October 2005
Ola Carlos,

first i'll say shortly that it will be great to read your comments here,
and that indeed, you are a master of the art of animation.
your work is very inspiring and fun to watch.

my questions:
1- you're both an animator for large more industrial studios, and also created/creating your own shorts,
in which you direct and tell your own story.
which of the two do you find more satisfying overall ?
which would you say is the best way to evolve in the animation world;
create short films or character animation exercises that concentrate only on animation ?
do you think that when applying to big studios, as an animator, the judging ppl would rather see only
polished character animation short scenes ? or is there additional value to proving storytelling, and cinematic cababilities
(edited within a demo reel of course).

2- animation technique: by which method do you usually animate ?
do you set stepped pose 2 pose, with lots of keys, or do you work mainly in the graph editor on the curves themselves ?
which comes most naturally to you ?

thanx a lot for you time, i assume you're pretty busy these days.
cheers
tsahi.

10 October 2005
Hi Carlos! Thanks for taking the time to do this!! Much appreciated!

My questions:

1. Looks like "Screws" has been out of production for a while. Are there any plans to finish it?!

2. Do you know where we can see Hubert's Brain?! I've been wanting to see that forever...

3. Having worked for the big studios on big projects, do you find you lack the opportunity to tell your own stories? Do you have your own stories anymore?

4. can you give us any information that hasn't been released yet about Cars or any other PIXAR films?! (heh.. had to try... )

Thanks!!

10 October 2005
Hola Carlos!
Es un honor poder entrar en contacto contigo via cgtalk, y te doy mis enhorabuenas por estar en lo mas alto.
Bueno, yo soy sevillano y acabo de terminar un curso de 3d en la vancouver film school, y he salido bastante contento, me he especializado en modelado y texturado.
Mis preguntas:
- how do you see 3d production in europe?
-now i'm starting to look for a job and people is telling me all the time to start in usa or canada and then may be go to europe... what do you think about it?
...Bueno, gracias, y otras preguntas ya te las han hecho otros posts anteriores...

ok, Congratulaciones, y aqui te dejo unos links a algunos trabajos que hice para mi reel por si les quieres hechar un vistazo

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=282311
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...ht=mad+military
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...=lowpoly+alvaro

suerte!

Last edited by agasco : 10 October 2005 at 08:40 AM. Reason: translating to english the questions

10 October 2005
just a fan congrats

10 October 2005
Tal solo decirte Carlos que eres una gran fuente de inspiracion (en mi escuela hay un poster tuyo firmado y el libro de nemo) , me alegra que hayas conseguido llegar donde lo has hecho, tan solo una pregunta..... fue muy duro llegar hasta pixar??

Un saludo desde Malaga

10 October 2005
Hello carlos!

I love your work and I admire you alot. I'm just starting out as 3D animator, I'M a student at full sail. I'm not to confident in my work yet, but it's my dream to one day work at pixar too.
I don't care if I have to apply a 100 times, I want to get in.
My one question for you is, how did you get a job at pixar?
Thanks so much for this oppourtunity to talk to you!

<3 Ash

Visit my website! <3

Mac commercial WIP

10 October 2005
Thank You

Hello Carlos

What a day, it is my Birthday and I wake up, turn on CGtalk, and find my favourite Animator (Carlos Baena) is having a Q & A in the forums.

Happy Birthday to me!

Enough Banter; Questions first, Flattery second.

Questions:

1. I have been finding that my pose to pose starts to miss that extra something after the blocking and in-betweens, it is great for setting up the timing and handy for my extremes. I find it hard to make the life from putting an in-between in these two extremes and then another between these extremes...etc Do you ever just stop the pose to pose and just go straight into specific areas. Would this help bring more life to the character considering the research has been done? Does this make sense?

2. Do you ever feel the need to be re-inspired?

3. Sometimes I think there is so much to keep in mind when animating, do you ever just try a different approach and find your results are achieved from this as opposed to your regular approach?

4. Are there times when you go out and do different things to collect knowledge for Animation, or do you just make a point of being a keen observer?

5. I heard that during your dailies you just sit there with a pen and paper and write down everything that is suggested to you, I find when I post my animations, I keep this in mind and as a result reap better results from my work. Anything else you may do to improve at the different stages of animation?

6. Are you better at heelflips or kick flips?

Really enjoyed your finger-boarding movie on the web! Maybe you should go pro. Although, I do not think there is much of a circuit for that.

I heard there was a skateboarding gang at Pixar, Is this true? If so, are you the Chief in Command?

Thanks so much for doing this.

JEFF

10 October 2005
Don't FLOOD please:

Please, let's Carlos answer before flooding this thread.
There are already some interesting questions, please don't drown them.
We know he is great, strong etc etc,... so spare your writings and just ask gently - with a little congrat' - your questions to him after he responded to the firsts one.

Avoid the usual mess "questions/responses" por favor

Carlos Baena is in da place, let's rocks this great sharing session

best regards!

Last edited by ghZaaaRK : 10 October 2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: an error in the title - refining text

10 October 2005
Hi Carlos,

I just have one question, that is:

how did you finance your tuitions and living in the USA while you were at university?

thanks for the opportunity to ask you holes in your belly and good luck with your future work

Oliver

10 October 2005
Hey everyone,

Not sure if I got this working. Anyways, hopefully I'll get to everyone's answers.

Carlos.

10 October 2005
hi, i am a big fan of your work!
and got a question..

as a student right now, i am learning and doing 2d and 3d animation at the same time.
eventually i wanna do 3d anmation but i am not sure how i should balance those to mediums.
in your opinion, is 2d animation essential when doing 3d animation or should i concentrate on 3d only, or a bit of both??

Thnks!

10 October 2005
Hello Carlos. I am wondering what type of shot is the most challenging for you personally to animate? After listening to the commentary on the "Incredibles" DVD, it sounds like you have a solid handle on mass and such, but I'm wondering if there are any types of shots that make you squirm when you think about animating them?

Say hello to Rodrigo for me.

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by Breinmeester: Brad Bird called you the king of physics on The Incredibles' director's commentary. How did you ever came to understand how to convey physics and weighting in animation so well?Daan Velsink.

Hi Daan,

Thanks for the kind words man...but I'm definitely not the king of physics. There are so many animators out there with much much better understanding of physical movement and mechanics especially at Pixar. But I'll tell you from my experience, something that has always helped me, has been to study live-action reference of anything with physics and weight. Even in some cases, I'll study some animation shots that really have a sense of weight in them. Disney's "Jungle Book" has some really amazing shots to study. For the "Incredibles" I would always shoot reference of myself acting the stuff out as much as I could. Since certain shots I had to animate, required Mr.Incredible to be very superhero like, I would try to incorporate as much of that as I could in the live-action acting reference of myself. Then I would add to that folder as much comic book superhero reference I could find, from any other source...comic books, films I enjoyed (Matrix, Terminator, for example), and sometimes I would ask co-workers with great sense of posing/balance to go over my poses.

I hope this helps Daan.

Carlos.

Last edited by CarlosBaena : 10 October 2005 at 09:22 PM.

Thread Closed share thread