Meet the Artist: Carlos Baena

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2005   #16
Hi Carlos! Thanks for that's Q&A

I would like to know how do you deal getting good arcs and continuity in animations. Most of 3d sorftware lack a good ghosting function and when you are refining your blocking with inbetweens it's very dificult for me don't get pops in the animation betwen poses. The only way I find to solve this is in graph editor analazing the curves. I would like to know if there is a more visual way to deal with this.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10 October 2005   #17
Carlos! Just back from a relaxing vacation and already going head-on with something like this? You'll have to go back to Spain next week! **edit**woops, missed that first post of yours

Anways, while you're here, I might as well ask some questions...

- How do you feel you've grown as an artist in your career?

- Animation is communication, so how important are regular people's reactions to your shots to you?

- What's the most challenging shot you've ever animated?

- What shot you've animated are you most proud of?

- If you could choose one particular character from the history of animation, that you would have loved to animate on, which would it be, and why?

- What kind of questions do you ask yourself to get to know your character?

- How much have you learned by experimenting with different media (2D and stopmo, or perhaps even theater)

- As you mentors constantly say... animation is a continuous learning experience. What's the last thing you've learned in animation? And what's the one most important thing you've learned in animation?

- Who is or are your favorite animator(s)? The one(s) you look up to most?

- Will you, or some of the other mentors, or even officially Animation Mentor, be at Annecy this year? I'm guessing that's thé European event which you guys would be coming overseas for (aside from vacation).

That's it for now...

Keep on rockin'

- Benjamin

Last edited by Bentagon : 10 October 2005 at 06:13 PM.

Old 10 October 2005   #18
Talking

Hi Carlos,
first of all let me just say that u have been one of the most
inspiring and pleasant personalities in the animation world for years,
and your work simply ROCKS !!
Ok couple of questions there :

- What references do u use when it comes to animating a character ?
- What advice would u give to anyone planning their own short film?
- What are the pros and cons of working for a company like Pixar?

Best of luck for anything you plan in the future, we'll be here to see your work !!

Old 10 October 2005   #19
Hi Carlos, thanks for doing this! I have a few questions...

Do you think that with so many new and current companies producing CG Animated films, that the market will become stifled and weaker, or increase competativness and help create better animated movies?

What do you enjoy most about animating?

What does a basic day involve for a Pixar animator such as yourself?

Cheers!
Demoreel

Old 10 October 2005   #20
hi carlos,

first off your work is just silly to be blunt i find it utterly ridiculous abusurdly perposterous its just na just to na........ppprrrhhhhhhhp

-what do you think about when your animating?

-what do you think gives an animation that spark or magic quality?

-how ridiculous do you see cgi animation getting?

thank you for your time

Ari

Old 10 October 2005   #21
Carlos, i've been inspired by your work since your early shorts and was delighted when I saw you'd progressed into the larger industry.

Toga Party is still one of my favourite animations of all time!

1) Your handling of weight and balance is impeccable. How do you usually go about getting the feel for a shot that requires unrealisitc ratios (such as Mr. Incredible lifting the giant stone statue)?

2) Do you have "zone out" times where you try not to think about your work at all, or are you the kind of lad that lives for his work, thinking about things in relation to animation quite frequently?

3) Is animation your be-all and end-all passion, or would you like to branch out into other areas?

Old 10 October 2005   #22
Smile Carlos, El Grande!

Hola Carlos, saludos de un vecino portugues!

I am a big fan and follower!

Question:

- As a 3d animator myself, I would like to know how can I get to your level, specially phisics+subtle acting, how can I practice every day, what are the best exercises to do?

Gracias
Thanks Carlos,

Best regards from PORTUGAL!
Keep it up!

Old 10 October 2005   #23
Hey Carlos!

I would like to say that i realy love all your work!

And that you sould update your website more .

Anywayz, i wanted to ask how you actuly got a job at pixar?

What was the hardest and best time you had, after leaving Spain?

And how did you pay your schools and stuff?

Do you think that you have acomplished what you waned to become and do in your life? Or is there still more to acomplish?

What is the thing that you would like to say to evryone that would follow your path and become like you?

Thx alot for your time here! I realy love all your work and your a inspiration to all of us!

Good luck in the future i wih you all the best!

Sheherryar

Old 10 October 2005   #24
I'm also currious when U would continue your short "screws".

Old 10 October 2005   #25
Hiya Carlos

maan, your work is so cool, I am so excited that I lost some questions

keep up the good work mate

Old 10 October 2005   #26
Hey Carlos!

Amazing job that you are doing along with bobby and shawn and others over at AM. Thank you for doing this. Here are my qs

1. What would it take for a person to get into pixar. how was it for you trying to get into pixar?

2. How willing, do you think, are companies hiring people from outside US? I would like to see myself working in a place like pixar in the future. Is there a chance for me (from India) to catch my dream?

3. Are you coming to India any time soon?

4. How effected are animators by computer related health risks, like damage to eyes, hands, etc? and are there any specific precautions that you take to stay safe?

Old 10 October 2005   #27
Hey Carlos,

First of all the fanboy bit: Your work is always completely awe inspiring and films like The Incredibles are a real source of inspiration and motivation for me. Oh, and nice work on the fingerboarding skills too.

Some questions...

1. What kind of reference do you use when animating things that can't be reproduced in real life, like animating the characters in Cars for example, or the arena monsters in Episode II?

2. What's your favorite piece of CG animation or visual effects ever?

3. When most Pixar people get asked which animation work really blows them away, they usually seem to cite 2D work, usually Disney films or films like The Iron Giant. Do you find that most 3D animation from outside of Pixar itself, isn't particularly inspiring to you, or is, at least, alot less inspiring than the old classic 2D stuff?

4. If you play video games then are there any games that you've played where you were particularly impressed with the animation (bearing in mind the technical limitations of the medium)?

Thanks.

Last edited by Headless : 10 October 2005 at 12:19 AM.

Old 10 October 2005   #28
wow! cgtalk has some cool people in their friends list!

i remember in a interview about AM, i think shawn had mentioned that you had started creating video tutorials of your own even before AM was created...

where can i buy those or are those reserved for AM students only?

i'd love to learn from the pros, so if your tutorials aren't available, can you point out the essentials for an animator both beginner or veteran?

thanks and i hope to see you sometime in the future in AM!

oh and i hope you enjoy your visit with your family! and your fingerboard video is awesome!

-rj

Last edited by ragdoll : 10 October 2005 at 12:14 AM.

Old 10 October 2005   #29
Hey Carlos,
Most of the questions I had have already been asked, I'm just posting to say that I'm a big fan of your work.

Old 10 October 2005   #30
Hello Carlos and congratulations on your personal success and recognition...

Three questions:

- After all your success do you believe that you would go back and change anything you did career-wise?

- If you switched from animation to another field (in 3d or other) what would that be?

- What other company would you like to work for? Any plans for your own studio or another venture? (apart from the animation mentor program).

Thanks in advance for your reply..

My online portfolio

Thread Closed share thread