Meet the Artist: Meats Meier

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Meet the Artist: Meats Meier

Meats Meier
Resident Artist/Instructor
Gnomon School of Visual Effects

Meats Meier is currently a resident artist and instuctor at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects and teaches the first ever Zbrush course. Meats is the author of the very popular "Introduction to Zbrush" training DVD that is produced bt the Gnomon Workshop. He is also an award-winning digital artist (including two Expose' Master awards) with over a decade of experience in a wide range of artistic fields. Various titles include: airbrush artist, lead artist at a video game studio, technical director on feature films, and has had a successful career as an independent artist and illustrator.

Meier's artwork is on the cover of numerous books, magazines, and web sites. Meats was honored with the prestigious "Maya Master" title by Alias at SIGGRAPH 2003. Recently, his work has recently been featured on the cover of the Zbrush box and is the creator of the Maya 7 signature image and animations.

Related Links

Meats Website: http://www.3dartspace.com/
Be sure to check out Meats Meiers Demo Reel from 2003 for some cool matchmoved digital sculptures.
http://www.3dartspace.com/Reel/Reel.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your questions or request for critique

The "Meet the Artists" forum provides a conducive environment where CGTalk members can have the opportunity to speak to some of the finest digital art talents in the world! CGTalk members can post questions and artwork, and have them answered or critiqued by these master artists. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable insight from seasoned industry veterans!

Rules for Q&A/Critique:
1. Use your real name (edit your CGTalk profile in UserCP). Note: Anonymous postings may be removed at CGTalk's discretion.
2. Please be polite when asking questions or for critique.
3. Check the whole thread to see if your question has already been asked. Do not post duplicate questions.
4. When posting critique, please use the CGTalk Attachments feature so that the artwork remains accessible.
5. Note that the Artist is under no obligation to answer all questions or critique all work posted. It is at his/her sole discretion to answer questions or critique work.
6. If the Artist does not answer your question or critique your work, do not harass him/her.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09 September 2005
Hi Jim! First of all congratulations on everything you have achieved.

- Was Cg something you have always wanted to do? How did you get into the field?

- You have quite a distinguished style. Is this something you consciously tried to develop, or was it a natural progression?

- Are there any major plans for after Gnomon or any dreams yet to be realised?

All the best for the future.

09 September 2005
Hi there Mr. Meier

- I was curious as to where this unique modeling style comes from?

Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz
2 Gigs DDR2 Ram
Geforce 7800Gtx
SB Audiguy 2 Plat.

09 September 2005
one of my favorite art work of yours is that "little red human figures plant", sitting on the table, and struggling , hand reaching out, all seems like screaming for help. That work is really awsome! What is your inspiration for pushing the envelopes? Do you ever have enough time to work on art work/ projects either for your own project or commisioned work?

thanks

Leong

09 September 2005
Hi, Mr Meier! Thank you very much for accepting to do the Q&A!
Question: Do you consider yourself an artist with a traditional art background, and do you think it's necessary in the field of CG?
Another: Most CG art gets frowned upon by the traditional art community. What do you think is the way to gain some recognition and respect?
Thanks, and your pictures are very inspiring and remind me of Arcimboldo, but with movement!

09 September 2005
Hi Mr. Meier!

I must say, your work is really amazing!

The first post that described you said you have worked in the gaming industry. What do you think is the best way for a student to break into this area?

Thanks!

Greg

09 September 2005
Your first name is Meats, what's the best chat-up line you've managed to come up with?

09 September 2005
How did you come up with the Maya 7 cover art? Did you have many other designs before the final?

09 September 2005
Meat the artist

Hello Mr Meats,

i must say that your style renewed my hopes for modern arts.
I found your zbrush work more alive than what we use to see in many contemporain art gallery.
My question would be :
- your still pictures are amazing, can you transfert all this to animations as you wish ?
Ok we have displacement ... maps but you use a lot of 2.5d features in zbrush (like eraser brush etc...) can you transfert it as you wish to an animation package such as maya ?

Thank you for your kindness (and sorry for my english!)

09 September 2005
Hello. As mentioned your style is pretty unique.. I was wondering if you'd mind sharing your
workflow (modeling wise) for stuff like the Maya 7 splash screen.
Do you have some kind of fast supertrick up your sleeves for creating all those threads and
wires or is it good old fashion hard work and headaches?

Edit: Well I guess this link kinda answered my question as good as any, but
I'm still curious how your workflow usually go back and forth from Maya to zBrush.

Regards

Christer Bjørklund

Last edited by bash : 09 September 2005 at 01:47 PM.

09 September 2005
Meats Meier!, Meats Meier!, Meats Meier!, Meats Meier!

hey, I love u r work, u r a big inspiration to me. no questions, thanQ for participating in this forum. U R GREAT.

09 September 2005
hi Mr. Meats ...

- did u begine in this field by tour self ? or did u begin by tutorials from others ?

- can u talk a little with us about the films that u work on ?

so happy to talk with u ..

09 September 2005
You have some of the coolest original models ever. Which zbrush tool was used to make the cool organic wire look? Also, what drew you to cg training instead of production such as in the film industry? Thanks for visiting, it is quite the pleasure. -Josh

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Terkonn: You have some of the coolest original models ever. Which zbrush tool was used to make the cool organic wire look? Also, what drew you to cg training instead of production such as in the film industry? Thanks for visiting, it is quite the pleasure. -Josh

i don't mean to talk for MM but here is a very usefull link for you (if you didn't read it already)
http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthrea...55&page=2&pp=15
about wire style using grid as mask

09 September 2005
Hi Meats.....

I realy enjoy your work.....thers a cool contrast between organic forms and metal industrial materials....I tryed to do somthing like your work for my end of collage project....didnt look NEARLY as cool as your work though...lol.....

All the best

chris

Thread Closed share thread