Meet the Artist: Victor Navone

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
Porridge

Hey Victor,

If you were to sift through a multitude of demo reels, what would you look for, personally, in an animator's reel? Is there any advice that you would like to impart?

07 July 2005
Wow! First off I just want to say ,like everyone else, that you have created some amazing pieces, and have a crap load of talent. One quick question though, which 3d package do you feel most comfortable with? I'm not asking you to dis others or anything, I noticed on your site that you use so many programs.

07 July 2005
Ok, I watched the extra material on The Incredibles and need to ask: how was it working with Brad Bird? He seems "intense". What directing style works best for you, do you prefer the no-holds-bar straight on approach when someone is critiquing you work?

Anyway, love what you do and use it for inspiration and reference all the time. Thanks for doin' the forum.

07 July 2005
Hi Victor!

Here are my questions:

1. Do you (or your colleagues) see a difference between the type of animation that's done for live-action films (example: the creature work in Harry Potter) and the full CG-feature animation that's done at studios like Pixar? I'm wondering if a studio like Pixar likes to see animation for live action films on a reel, or if they'd rather see more cartoony work.

2. How easy/difficult do you think it is for an animator to move from the game industry into animating for full cg features? Is that sort of move common? I'm wondering if it's difficult for an animator to build a good portfolio of performance-based animation at a game studio, or if a gig like that will just produce a reel full of cycles.

I'm curious about the sort of work that studios like Pixar like to see on a reel. Do they like to see work from live action films? From games? or does it not matter, as long as it's fantastic performance animation?

3. Do you see a lot of animators at Pixar who come from a 2D background?

Thanks for your comments!

My website:
www.cleverevans.com

07 July 2005
Fantastic to have another Animator. Your work is very inspirational.

1. For your arms, do you like animating with FK or IK. Describe why you like whatever techique you use.
2. Whats your average day at Pixar .. do you guys devote days or weeks to concepting a scene out (acting it out).
3. Do you animate without reference?

07 July 2005
hi victor

my questions would probably have been asked or will be asked so i won't ask any. i just want to say that i've been admiring your work and my aim is to do something close to those.

when are you coming to singapore?

07 July 2005
I want to say THANK YOU for The Journeyman Project 2 and 3. these games were soo important to me in grade school. i loved the concept, the design, the execution, and gameplay. its bringing back memories other than that good luck at Pixar, i have nothing more to say..

07 July 2005
Hi Victore,

just one Q:

- Normaly, How many seconds of quality character animation (1 char) - in pixar style - do you animate per day (an 8 hours workingday)?
If you cant estimate the avarage you can name a sample shot of - for instance - 'The Incredibles' which you worked on and the time you spent on it.

Thank you very much.

And a mini-question here: Do you have time to watch & crit a tiny 'short animation in progress'?

"Billions of bilious blue blistering barbecued barnacles!...Cannibal!"

07 July 2005
this company with wich softwares using?

Maya just?

07 July 2005
Hi Victor, great to see you here !

My questions:

1. What is the general working method for animators at Pixar ? I watched the 'The Incredibles' DVD and in the commentaires Brad Bird mentioned 'this scene was done by that guy' and so on, so I conclude that each animator gets assigned a few scnes that he should work on. If so, how long do you work at a certain scene? Are you in full control of that scene then, i.e. do you animate all characters of the scene, or are there multple animators working on one scene ?

2. Recently, on a German music channel I accidentaly saw a (I'm sorry to say that) pretty crappy teen band, performing a pretty crappy song. Suddenly, in the video, the Blit Wizbok character appeared. I understood that you sold your rights on Blit Wizbok a few years ago, but what do you think when seeing a video like that: 'Dang, I sold my soul, I shouldn't have done that' or do you rather think 'Well, I was young and needed the money ...' !?

3. When you are animating and have reached the creative flow, what is your reaction when out of a sudden the program crashes and hours of work go out of the window ? No app bashing intended, but since you are doing your private work in Animation:Master you might have encountered a crash or two ...

Looking forward to your future work !

07 July 2005
Hiya Victor!

Hey Victor thanks a ton for doing this!

As any animator knows planning a shot is essential before actually animating...and at the same time every animator approaches planning a different way.

-How do you like to approach planning out your assigned shots and how much time do you typically spend planning vs. animating?

-Also at what stage when working on a shot will you start showing your ideas or the work you have done to your director?

Thanks a ton Victor keep on rockin! I also want to say I just loved the guard fall variations you did in "The Incredibles". It must have been fun animating those!

-Rob

07 July 2005
Hi Victor big fan of your work! My questions for you are:

1) What was your favorite feature you have worked on thus far, and why?

2) What has been the most challenging aspect of your career until now, and how do you stay focused under extreme presures when the going gets tough and deadlines are on the horizon?

3) Who are some of your favorite artist?

4) Advice you would give junior artists that wanna get into feature film?

Thanks a lot for your time Victor, keep up the great work!

07 July 2005
Hey Victor,
First of all great stuff. You are really an inspiration. I like to think that I could accomplish what you have. I just graduate from a 4 year program with a B.A. in Psychology (I'm 21 now) and I want to be a character animator. Obviously what you have shown us is that you don't need to go to school to learn it but I just had a few questions. I am currently interning at Curious Pictures in NYC where we are working on a 3D animated Barbie movie. I haven't been able to do animation at all on the project yet but I am teaching myself Maya and I am taking a traditional animation class and basic drawing for animation class at Pratt, and I also draw daily. So my concern is what step I should take next. I have looked heavily into Animation Mentor (which I think is awesome) I just then worry about is it the best choice for ME. Thing is my parents are willing to support my education, so basically if I could get into CalArts, or any school like that or any grad school in Cali, or Canada, etc they would pay for it. So do you think that coming from a 4 year undergrad program I should do that if I have the money? I know how involved the mentors are with the students but my parents question whether or not it would be better to be in a 'physical' school with 'physical' contact with students. Bottom line I want to receive the best education possible, and money doesn't seem to be an issue. I also have heard that studios dont really look as to whether or not one received a degree or not but rather more importantly a demo reel. But bring that I don't have too much experience from taking classes in design, composition color theory, would it be a mistake to take animation mentor? I want to be a character animator and I will do whatever it takes to achieve that. All I want to do is just have the right resources and education. If my internship allows me to continue in the fall, then it would probably be a great idea to do Animation Mentor, but if it doesn't continue my parents feel that maybe I'd be better at a full time school, so I'm not online all the time sitting at my computer, which comes to the next point, isn't it a disadvantage that it is an online school and you don't have too much contact with your mentor? Anyways sorry that this is long, and if you want to foward this to any of the founders, or any other mentors to get their feedback I'd appreciate it too. My e-mail is JSW32@aol.com Thanks so much Victor and keep up the amazing work.
-Justin

07 July 2005
Wow. Never thought I'd see someone like Victor in this Q&A forum! Great job on snagging him Leigh

Anyways...huge fan of your stuff (like pretty much everyone else)...Alien Song was one of the very first 3d animations I EVER saw...and it was definitely a huge inspiration that got me kick-started into the animation field.

Here are some questions that I would be forever grateful if you answered

1) Are you happy at Pixar? It's pretty much the Holy Grail of animation studios to work at...so are you content with it?

2) With the enormous number of reels that get sent into Pixar, what are the chances of ACUTALLY getting your reel seen and considered?

3) Who is YOUR favourite animator, and why?

-Tyson Ibele

07 July 2005
Congratulations on your success!

Is there anything you would like to change about the world of CG animation?

Thread Closed share thread