Meet the Studio: Blur Studio

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
Meet the Studio: Blur Studio

Blur Studio

Los Angeles, California

Blur Studio was established over 9 years ago to create an environment where artists can thrive and create great imagery. Since then, it has grown in virtually every area; from the number of staff and artistic ability to technical expertise, while retaining its mission to tell stories through beautiful animation. To achieve its goal, Blur relentlessly pursues a creative business path by only choosing to do work that it regards as ‘creatively fulfilling’ as opposed to simply working for money. Its staff are long-term team members instead of hiring hordes of freelancers when needed. Through its growth, Blur has remained true to its mission to create a unique group of artists that push the envelope of creative computer graphics today.

Recently, Blur Studio has been responsible for short films such as ‘In The Rough’ (directed by Paul Taylor) and the Academy Award nominated ‘Gopher Broke’ (directed by Jeff Fowler). It also blurred the lines between game and film quality animation with its Warhammer 40,000 game intro cinematics, which took the CG world by storm.

In this CGTalk Q&A session, we are pleased to present the artists from Blur Studio who will be answering your questions, and critiquing your work.

Representing Blur are:
- Tim Miller, Founder and Creative Director
- Jeff Fowler, Director and CG Supervisor
- Paul Taylor, Director and CG Supervisor
- Dave Wilson, CG Supervisor
- Ian Joyner, Character Modeler
- Jennifer Miller, Public Relations
- and more...

Blur Studio Website
http://www.blur.com

Gopher Broke

http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_cus...p?story_id=2861

In The Rough (video)
http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_cus...p?story_id=2808

Warhammer 40,000 Cinematics (video)
http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_cus...p?story_id=2538

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your questions or request for critique

The "Meet the Artists" forum provides a conducive environment where CGTalk members can have the opportunity to speak to some of the finest digital art talents in the world! CGTalk members can post questions and artwork, and have them answered or critiqued by these master artists. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable insight from seasoned industry veterans!

Rules for Q&A/Critique:
1. Use your real name (edit your CGTalk profile in UserCP). Note: Anonymous postings may be removed at CGTalk's discretion.
2. Please be polite when asking questions or for critique.
3. Check the whole thread to see if your question has already been asked. Do not post duplicate questions.
4. When posting critique, please use the CGTalk Attachments feature so that the artwork remains accessible.
5. Note that the Artist is under no obligation to answer all questions or critique all work posted. It is at his/her sole discretion to answer questions or critique work.
6. If the Artist does not answer your question or critique your work, do not harass him/her.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Leonard : 05 May 2005 at 01:28 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #2
Wow!
Ok first and only question... please comment details on the mud effect during one of the final scenes of "In the rough"...

Old 05 May 2005   #3
Hey,

- Any word on a future feature film project?
- What's the biggest lesson learnt from your time with Blur (one per artist)?

Thank guys!

Old 05 May 2005   #4
Great! great GREAT! Ok...

What is the Key things that People needed to have to work within the Blur Domain and whats the longest time it took to finish a project from start to finish and what was the major problems faced.

this question is to all...

Thanks Blur...

Old 05 May 2005   #5
first of all congratualtions for the wonderful job your doing and keep on trying and you'll nail the oscar soon

my question is when will we be able to download the full version of Gopher Broke ?

Old 05 May 2005   #6
Cool, you guys are one of my favorite studios.
I know you use (or at least used to use) max. I'm just interested to know what you think of it comparing to other programs (I am talking mainly for pipeline comptability and stability in large projects). I also know you have an RnD team and i wonder what they think of max's source (comparing mainly to maya).
i am asking this mainly because alot of ppl i know from large studios keep on claimming that maya is way better for those things and i cant convince them to see the light

anyways, you guys rule
SPECTACULAR grand prize !

Old 05 May 2005   #7
What do you like for in aspiring talent- with regards to 3D artists? What is the kind of demo material that amazes you? What doesn't impress you?

Old 05 May 2005   #8
This is great. Hello BLUR guys, first of all, u guys rock, i'm a big fan of urs. okay i have so many things to ask. heres some that i can remember

- I wanna know how you organize a team who will work on a short or game cinamatics. And how many people do u work with in projects like 'Gopher Broke' or 'In the Rough'?

- What are the softwares you use to do dinamics?

- Do you guys use a lot of GI? or what kind of lighting do u mostly prefer?

- What software do u use for rigging?... i dont think Max's built-in rigging/skinning system is not good enough for your kind of works. or do u use any inhouse sotwares for that?

- as many wants to know, what are your future plans? is there any ned masterpiece in making?

well thats about it... i'll be waitng for ur replies

Last edited by overcontrast : 05 May 2005 at 12:32 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #9
This is exciting! Love you guys!

Gopher broke really blew me away with the stunning visuals and an excellent and entertaining performance all held together by a simple story line. It really shows that a simple story can be wildly fun if its done well. So, how do you decide which story to choose for your shorts? And how do you see the potential a simple idea can have?

Old 05 May 2005   #10
Hello folks at Blur.

Is it possible that we will be seeing a "trend" of other studios, setting up their pipelines to create their own shorts. Given that it took you guys 3-4 weeks to complete the Warhammer cinematics. Maybe not a trend, but given the success of your shorts it has certainly made some people go "hey, we can do it too".

If so, how would it affect the independant folks creating their own shorts.

Thats it for now.
Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions.

Old 05 May 2005   #11
Hello,

I´d like to know how many animators you have there. Not all 3d people. Just the animators. And How many do you need to do a feature film?
By the way... When will you make a feature film?

kisses

Old 05 May 2005   #12
Where did you guys go to school or have you just learned alot by doing it? What do you use for compositing? Last question.........Have you used any other 3d packages besides 3DS Max?

Thanks in advance

Old 05 May 2005   #13
First off you guys are spectacular.

I would like to know if you could give some pointers for someone trying to start an animation studio of their own.. Maybe some of your experience, and things to look out for...

Old 05 May 2005   #14
wow you guys are definatly the next pixar this stuff is so awsome and original i can't get enough great work and keep going. I am wondering if you guys are going to make a feature film and if you guys could give us any details. Anyway awsome and luck to all in the future.

By the way I always loved the wolfenstein cinematics they made the game what it is lol

Last edited by geneticlone : 05 May 2005 at 01:14 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #15
Greetings, I have been a a great fan of all the work you guys/gals have produced over the years...

The visuals are stunning and the animation is top notch...

I am currently in Animation and are anxious to get out into the fray of things...

Hopefully my demo will make it to you...

I have just a few questions:

#1) Does Blur work only with 3dsmax, if so are there any plans on expanding to different software such as XSI?

#2) I am also a digital Grunge/Graphix/PhotoManipulation Artists, I have seen some bits about your 2D side, I am wondering what kind of opertunities lie with Blur in a 2D Advertisment feild?

Cheers

Jonathan Jacobs-Durocher

Design Portfolio:
Graphic Design & CG Portfolio

Thread Closed share thread