Meet the Artist: Steven Stahlberg

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
Ill ask the questions which everyone else secretly wants to know the answers to.

1) How often do you get disapproving looks from your girlfriend/wife? If I sat here drawing curvey naked girls all day, I would have several broken bones by now.

2) Considering the volume of tight panties in your imagery and the level of detail you put in, none of them suffer from camel toe. Do you do this consiously on grounds of taste?

3) Do you do much commercial work which isn't a young lady in one pose or another?, or have you become the guy which people call when they know they're going to need a semi-clothed redhead.

04 April 2005
Ha tkies for answer Stahl

Ok , I see D is useful for improving 2d Skills...

BTW some other questions came to my mind regarding your work :

1) For Wich companies do you work? Do you live well with only your art skills? or do you need to do other kind of work? Free lance , or settled artist for a company?

2) I have hard time to paint skins.... and some texturing... I really start to master volume and forms in digit painting , but I must improve texturing process... in particular skins.
What would be your best advice to help me in the way? (I especially LOVE how YOU render skins (in 2D I mean) )

thx for all those precisions.

My Journey Begins Challenge Thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=328222

04 April 2005
Ah... MISTER Steven Stahlberg... quite an honour, sir!

I first noticed your wonderful art in the 3D community and became even more impressed when I began seeing your masterful work in 2D. You've honed your artistic skills to an amazing level and I'm appreciative you continue to challenge yourself (and in turn, the rest of us) to become better artists, regardless of the medium.

My question/s: Say one were looking to crack into the '2D concept art' side of game or movie production (or something along those lines)... what things would you like to see in a portfolio (if YOU were hiring, for the sake of argument)?

Also... what inspirational books would you recommend?
What's your favourite movie?
Who's your favourite artist?
Do you listen to music when you work? If so... what?
When you're not creating amazing bits of art... what do you like to do in your 'spare time'?

Thanks so much for participating in this 'Meet the Artist' section. You're an inspiration to so many of us.

Cheers!

I'm dancin' like a monkey!

04 April 2005
Hi mr stalhberg. Ive been a follower of some of your work, i have to say it rocks and it inspires me. Im still new to 3d and CGing but im keen on becoming better.

1. I notice youre located in malaysia and was wondering if you take n00bs under your wing or provide guidance hands on? or if you would.

2. Whats the chances of a CG/3d artist surviving in malaysia? im currently outside of malaysia at the moment. A career there is something im considering but rather much in doubt as well...

04 April 2005
hey there steven, thanks for your replies. Sorry to hear about your TV show going under.

One more question, well not question more like a minor request.

Would it be possible to show us some of your very very early works if you still have them. Stuff that probably isnt on your site and even not finshed. Just to show us some idea of some of the paths you took to show us what might noth be the best road for us to take etc. Any renders and wires would be great.

Again like to take this opportunity to thank you for doing this.

#andrew

04 April 2005
Hello Steven,

nice to have an Q&A with you!

My questions:
1. Do you think it is necessary to have some good painting skills to do good 3D Art? Or does it just help to visualize things. I have seen the making of of "The Incredibles" and most of the artists did 2d long before 3d.

2. Since you are from Sweden, do you play table tennis? I mean a country with all the stars like Jan-Ove Walder doesn't that make someone interested in such things?

Thanks for your time you take for helping the folks around here (Topology thread) and for doing this Q&A.

Greetings from Germany

Daniel

04 April 2005
you are the best cg artist for me.

04 April 2005
Hello Steven!

Okay, first of all I would like to say that I had no idea that you were from sweden?!
Always thought that your surname sounded english

Anyways, love your work...you have a nice harem of women on your website by now

The thing I want to ask is, where did you go to school, and what company did you ask about what grade you needed?

Hoppas på svar snart

//Johan

04 April 2005
Hello mr.Stahlberg...I'm studying in Malaysia..and i'm not malaysian..and I really would love to work here after seeing this country and people here..my question is..how do you see the future of this place in CG and filmmaking ? and which is the most growing field ?...and let me finish and say your seriously one of my favourite atrists of all time..thank you for all this inspirational work

04 April 2005
From Illustration to Animation

Hello Steven,

Good to hear of your new adventures. Your images are wonderful and highly polished. Do they crack and fall apart if/when you try to animate them?

For me, one who animates more than illustrates, Maya character rigging if often a time consuming, inexact science.

In your case, I imagine your dream is to draw and design exciting compositions, and then have a team of great modelers, riggers and animators bring them to life.

Like the Art Directors at the large studios, they sit in a well lit rooms with drawing tables, not constantly zoned out in a dark room.

Enjoying your comments. Happiness,

Hank

Main web site home: http://www.mediaspin.com
Thoughtful Preparations blog at http://www.mediaspin.com/blog/

Last edited by Spinmeister : 04 April 2005 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo

04 April 2005
Hi Steven,

I was just wondering how much influence you derive from australia and australian culture because i understand you were born here, and also is there a way to see some of your current professional work? I would like to view your animations in particular as i dont think i have been able to find many of them as of yet. You are truly an inspiration to the whole community, and i hope you continue to have many successes in the future. Best wishes!

04 April 2005
Dranger, thanks... my 2d workflow, well it's usually mostly like that tutorial. Color is one of my weak points, it's easier if I take that part separately. Although occasionally the color choice is firmly in the original vision, or it's really simple. In these cases I might start adding color right from the start. I almost never do color studies, perhaps I should do a bunch every project, might improve my colors. Canvas size, usually start a bit bigger than my screen, upsizing it later if it turns out good enough that I want to 'take it all the way'. Layers, it changes a lot, usually not so many I guess. Brushes, I have a couple with heavy texture, but the ones I use the most are very simple: 1. hard edge, 2. hard edge, pressure sensitive opacity, 3. hard edge, press.sens. opacity and size

imashination, 1. LOL she doesn't care at all.
2. Sure, camel-toe is where I draw the line (or actually, don't draw it, haha)
3. My commercial work? I recenty product-replaced a can of beans. Yes, games companies usually ask me to do females, about 6 times out of 10, the rest is males and robots etc.

Neozoom, 1. The most well-known companies I've worked for would be Electronic Arts and Disney. So far my family's been able to live ok off it, either when I've been doing all freelance or when I've been on only a monthly salary.
2. Is your question about how to add texture to skin, in 2d? I never do that, I just focus on the tone and colors. Usually I even smooth the skin more than any other surface, you have to be very careful with texture on skin, especially on beautiful girls.

artjunkie, 1. I'd like to see stuff like what Feng Zhu does, you know... of course I wouldn't expect the same quality, but that type of sketchy concepts... not sketches of existing hardware, from either photos or other people's concepts, but original concepts. Maybe also a bit of storyboard, can be a good indicator of general art talent level...
2. Hm, I can only pick one? Impossible. here's a few off the top of my head: Princess Bride, Aliens, Predator, Star Wars ep.4, Space Balls...
3. Again, too hard. Ingres, Frazetta, Chichoni... it's like picking 1 dish out of all the world's cuisines...
4. Sometimes. Swedish radio, Spraydio, Radio Megapol, or my own collection of stuff from the 70's and 80's (when I grew up), rock, pop, blues, jazz, bossanova... I like variety.
5. Watch movies, play with the kids...
In fact, I'm going out jogging with them now. See you in a little while.

04 April 2005
Talking

Hi steven i'm one of your biggest fans
my question is
what is the next evolution after the 3d visual effects indusry in your opinion?
i mean can it be real one day

04 April 2005
Hi Steven, one thing ive noticed from reading your posts/answers here is that you still remain fairly family orientated/ that there a big part of your life. I find this inspiring because i spend nearly 20 hours a day, 7 days a week trying to improve my work on very little freelancing pay and my gf swears that she'd never father a child of mine for this reason! LOL
anyway, how tough has the freelancing/salary/3d/2d god/father/husband role been on the family and your health. what sort of hours do you work and have you ever gotten to a point where it all became too much.

04 April 2005
Well, I don't have any particular questions, but I would like to share something with you. I'm a student working towards a degree in 3D modeling, and that image of the girl on the swing was recently referred to by one of my instructors as 'the best example of drapery they had ever seen'. We all stared at it in awe as our egos withered away in face of the mastery, and I'm even more awed knowing that you're just a mortal like the rest of us!
I don't know what to say except that your work is beyond amazing.

Thread Closed share thread