Meet The Artist: Linda Bergkvist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #16
I have one question Enayla, actually 2,

How long did it take you to learn all the Digital Work?
and
Do you have secret brushes on Photoshop, whatever I do, I just can't get any closer to your painting technique

Tack så micket

Old 04 April 2005   #17
I have always admired you since I first saw your art. I don't know any questions except one;

Will there be any event where you will participate in, in sweden? I mean, where you have a conference or something the like, showing of your work or techniques?

It would be such fun to see you explain live.

Last edited by InAction : 04 April 2005 at 12:44 AM.

Old 04 April 2005   #18
Respect

Hi, this is Ameer Magdy from Egypt, and if it comes to questions, I have alot, but I won't bug you with it, because you've already given us the whole answers...
I want to say that you are my Idealist artist and as so to many others, when I talk about art, I start with you, I've been showing my friends in the faculty of fine arts your great works, and I've requested the D’artiste: Digital Painting digital artists master class book, specially for to see your techniques, but still have a question though,

How do you define your scene? I understood the part of the people inside yr' work, but when it comes to the environment around them, I wonder how perfect that is? are you using a reference or from your imagination, and which is harder or I mean to say, take longer, the people you draw or the background??

- Are you teaching any kind of courses outside the university? private lessons?

thad you very buch (Bilbo Baggins)
Ameer Magdy / Alexandria - Egypt

Old 04 April 2005   #19
I just discovered your work a week or two ago, and am majorly impressed. You manage to illustrate beautifully a lot of designs that I've not had nearly as much luck at (the dragonfish mermaid in particular, is eerily similar to some stuff I've been trying to do). Major kudos.

My questions:

1) What sort of things are difficult for you to paint, and why?
2) What are some of the most valuable lessons that you've learned doing this over the years? Realizations like "wow, suddenly A, B, and C make sense" to "god, I'll never do -that- again" are what I'm aiming at.
3) What unexplored topics do you want to delve into in the coming years?
4) [this may be a dumb question] What is the DSG community erilaz referred to? Google turned up mostly german-language sites.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! You are an inspiration.

Old 04 April 2005   #20
Yeah, hi Linda!

This is Corey Loving , and I have a question for you my fair lady! How do you go about choosing your colors for a scene, you know like for the characters and background? I suppose what I mean is like, do you choose the colors, for your character's shadows for example, based upon the background or do you just use reference to make color choices? An artist named Anry www.anry.ru, once told me to choose your colors based off your background...

Also , I cant seem to make something look as photorealistic as you can, even if i use reference...I've been studying this, and trying to find the secret to really making something look photo realistic...At first i thought it might be grain...But i'm sure you can make any object look realistic if you choose the right colors. I'm just curious as to how you know which colors to use for things. Not just human flesh but trees, metals, ect...anything really ...If you could lead a young artist into the right direction I would be very greatful!

Old 04 April 2005   #21
Hi miss Enayla: [all of the former praises expressed before on this thread go here].

I have 2 questions:

1. At least I sometimes feel like i'm flying a kite while drawing, and at some points the whole thing starts to fall beyond saving, or gets stuck on a tree or something... What do you do when things start to go wrong with an illustration?

2. How do you feel about your characters? do you create them (from your head, from a concept, form an urge) or do they appear from and on the white canvas as you roam it with the pen? in other words, this life you seek to imprint in them, is an expression of your self or are they live on their own sake? (hope i explained it right).

2 1/2: I'll hear with most attention to the answer to Bonedaddy's second question.

Salut!

Sir Patroclo

Old 04 April 2005   #22
Hey Linda.

1) How does it feel to be one of the most renowned artist on CGTalk? Can you find yourself restrained by it or inspired?

2) What's your advice for someone who feels inadequate when it comes to being able to draw, how did you go about training up your spatial perception?

3) We're couple of student in Skellefteå currently attending a CG education.. And we're wondering if you do any seminars?

Thank you Linda for being a great inspiration source for me and my fellow friends up here in the frozen wilderness of sweden.

Old 04 April 2005   #23
Linda

Thanks for taking the time!

I do believe that you are one of those rare artists whose work has stepped out of the realm of art, and into the sublime.

I think watching your development, is to watch art history in the making (I feel privileged - don't we all!)

This is not so much a question, as a request - obviously one you may decline.

Would you have a problem posting some of your early works - to give us a glimpse of your development (just where did your wonderful journey begin). Images covering the span of your early development - I mean childhood and teens - glimpses of how you got where you are.

*edit (several)*

Was your lifelong passion nurtured by a particular individual? If yes Who? and what was the context?

What is your first memory? Fondest memory?

(I hope I am not getting too personal)

Gord MacDonald

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Last edited by gordonm : 04 April 2005 at 07:39 AM.

Old 04 April 2005   #24
Hey Linda. Thought your q&a session wasn't supposed to start until tomorrow. 0_o

Anyway, I can manage a few questions:

-One of the things that I feel separates your pieces from many others is your use of the negative space; your backgrounds never seem to be too fully-defined (except with some such as "euthanasia", an excellent painting btw ), but they're never dull or flat. There's always something about that space that contributes to the rest of the space - a color tone that compliments the rest of the piece, or that brings out some contrast in the scene. And the backgrounds almost always have this "textured" look to them. I guess what my question about this would be is, how do you go about visualizing how to use this space? Is it sort of a trial and error thing or just a style that you've developed well-enough over time to be able to add to each piece with ease? Do you actually visualize how you want that background to look when you're thinking up the painting?

-This may border along the lines of those "what brushes do you use" and "what software do you use" kind of questions that can miss the more essential topics one should focus on when beginning to learn digital painting...but what the hell. Basically, I'm curious to know how extensively you make use of layers in your paintings, if at all. Obviously, breaking a digital painting into separate layers can be extremely helpful (for separating the background from a person in the foreground, for instance). But when I first started out, I'd isolate things like shadows and highlights as separate layers, in order to make use of different blending modes and opacity settings to adjust the shadows to get it 'just right', instead of thinking about just coloring one layer with the right colors right from the start. I think that with the way I used to break things down into so many different layers, it would often lead everything to being either very oversatured, or undersatured, which I haven't had as many problems with since changing. But then, maybe I just need more practice with working with multiple layers to get the technique down. Any thoughts on that?

-Just thought I'd add that, in reading Leanord's intro post, this made me laugh:
Quote: Living a fairy-tale life, she would go hunting for witches in the woods.

Though I of course did similar things.
On a similar note though, you mentioned (from what Leanord quoted) that you're "in love with old, cruel tales and the wickedness that comes wrapped up in lovely forms."
Any particular 'tales' come to mind?
Also, more of an obscure question, but do you find that your environment contributes much to your imagination? (Example... being out at my old house always seems to fill my head with a thousand new ideas; it's dozens of different environments all rolled in one. At the end of the field behind the house, there's this creepy little forested area. The trees are still living (and look absolutely amazing in the summer time), but always have this sort of 'dead' feel to them. The ground is always covered in leaves, regardless of the season. And to top off the effect, there's this little stream running through the center of it all that's been bordering towards drying out for the past few years. It's like something straight out of a C.J. Cherryh novel. There's nothing like that in the surroundings of my drab dorm room; no houses that kids would swear are haunted, no crevices that you could imagine going on forever, nothing of any sort that leaves much to the imagination. I usually need to get out and get away just to think well enough to sketch out ideas) Would you say that your workplace and/or home help your imagination in that respect?

Heh, well I've run my mouth of enough for now.

Old 04 April 2005   #25
you just played with filters in photoshop with pictures you took(right )

Latest Work

Old 04 April 2005   #26
=)

hi ^^

whats ur pc specs ? =)

Old 04 April 2005   #27
Thumbs up truely inspirational

Hey Enayla! I just love your attention to color and detail.
All of the characters that you color in your paintings have this distinct glow to them, it's almost like looking at an actual photo instead of a digital painting. It's just beatiful!
But i was wondering, do you think it is nessesary to attend an art school to be able to produce art as great as you do? I'm asking this because I recently got a wacom tablet and have been attemping to paint digitaly and i'm finding it alot harder than I though it would be.
I have no experience at all with natural media (except for drawing and sketching with a pencil which is what i'm better at). I hope i'm making sense.
What do you think? Was it easy for you? Do you think it would have been harder to paint digitally if you had no background with traditional media? Maybe i need more practice but it gets hard especially when it seems like i'm not improving or a particuar work in progress seems to be going downhill with no rescue in sight.

P.S. Oh and keep up the good work!

Last edited by Serious Samm : 04 April 2005 at 04:09 AM.

Old 04 April 2005   #28
Hey Linda, Im a huge fan of your work and you never cease to blow me away with your paintings.

-I was wondering if you learned/developed your painting skills traditionally with paint on paper/canvas and moved over to digital, or if you really started painting seriously when you started digital? For me painting on a tablet is much harder than using oil on a canvas. Do you like to sketch with pencil and paper or do you always visualize in color?

Old 04 April 2005   #29
Well, probably by the time I get through these questions (which will have to be tomorrow) there won't be anything left to ask. I'm sure of this. So instead of asking a question, I'd like to leave you a little note that is incredibly true for me.

And here it is:

Ever since I discovered your art, I have become determined to be as good as you. You are such an incredible inspiration for me and I usually can't wait to see a new picture. If ever I feel want to feel inspired, all I have to do is hop online and check out your website. My parents and all of my friends know your name because I talk about you so much and have shown them your work. Your attention to detail is astounding and your mastery of color and emotion in a painting is just incredible. (I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm a stalker or something, but you inspire me as much as Tim Burton inspires you. But I'm not a stalker ) I just love your art. Every piece is just so inspirational. Oh, and did I mention that you were the first person to introduce me to androgeny. I didn't know what that was before I saw your art! =D

Ok, I do have one question. One the first post in the thread, with all those pictures of yours in it...is the one with the two people kissing an image to go with your "Calamity of Touch" image? Because the girl has the same hair and dress, and she was cursed for making love to man. I'm just curious.

Thank you for taking the time to post your art and being an inspiration to me and many other people.

Oh, and I'm glad your hand is feeling better.

Offbeatworlds.com

Old 04 April 2005   #30
hey linda,

i'm a newbie to CGtalk so i just discovered your work as a logged in for the first time. your work is amazing. i'm a junior in the game development department of scad. what i really want to do is concept work i.e. characters, and landscapes and what not. along the lines of the work that you do. on top of that, no doubt, i'm a modeler and texture artist.

besides all that.. questions...

in your paintings; do you draw and paint your figures from scratch or do you have live models that pose for you?..

where do you come of with the inspiration for your original environments?

no doubt i'm sure you are a master at the figure and of the landscape, but i tend to have a difficult time coming up with believable poses and/or settings for my characters.. what inspires you?

thanks again for showing off your amazing peices

Thread Closed share thread