Meet the Team from Blur and have them review your work - live.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2014   #1
Meet the Team from Blur and have them review your work - live.

The Blur Crit Sessions

Welcome to CGSociety's first ever mass online folio and reel review. We're excited to announce that the month of July will be Blur review month, with members of the team at Blur Studio logging in to look at your work, review it, and then give you feedback live via web stream. It doesn't matter where in the world you are. It doesn't matter what education you've had. As long as you've got some good work, and you've uploaded it to your CGPortfolio , the team from Blur will review it. Yep - it's an amazing opportunity - so get on it!

So how does it work? It's easy. There will be five live review sessions over the month of July - one each for Environment, Character, Rigging, Animation and VFX.

You have the month of June to upload your work to your CGPortfolio and correctly tag it. Please note it's OK to submit your work for more than one category, you'll need to add the correct tag for each category you want to submit for. You need to tag each individual piece you want reviewed with the correct tag. You can embed links to Vimeos or Youtubes of your reel in the Project pages of your CGPortfolio. (You will need to select a header image for the project page, then you can link your reel)

The review session times will be as follows:

Environment

Wednesday 9th July - 7.30pm PDT

Reviewing team:

Kevin Margo
Sergej Eichmann
Sebastien Chort
Justin Mijal
Darryl Johnson
Paul Bush
Chad Wanstreet

To submit your work for this review upload your work to your CGPortfolio by Friday 4th July and tag it blurenviro

To register for the live web stream environment review session - click here . (Please only register if you're planning on attending, as spaces are limited. A recording will be made)

CHARACTER

Wednesday 16th July - 7.30PM PDT

Reviewing team:

Mathieu Aemi
Chris Grim
Akin Bilgic
Jame Ku
Alessandro Baldasseroni

To submit your work for this review upload your work to your CGPortfolio by Friday 11th July and tag it blurcharacter

To register for the live web stream character review session - click here . (Please only register if you're planning on attending, as spaces are limited. A recording will be made)

Rigging

TUESDAY 22nd July - 7.30pm PDT

Reviewing Team:

Justin Callanan
Jeremie Passerin
Tyler Fox
Josh Cogswell
Travis Miller
Brent Wiley

To submit your work for this review upload your work to your CGPortfolio by Thursday 17th July and tag it blurrigging

To register for the live web stream rigging review session - click here . (Please only register if you're planning on attending, as spaces are limited. A recording will be made)

Animation

Wednesday 23rd July - 7:30pm PDT

Reviewing Team:

Chase Shields
Hubert Daniel
Warren Grubb
Isaak Fernandez

To submit your work for this review upload your work to your CGPortfolio by Friday 18th July and tag it bluranimation

To register for the live web stream animation review session - click here . (Please only register if you're planning on attending, as spaces are limited. A recording will be made)

VFX

Wednesday 30th July at 7:30pm PDT

Reviewing Team:

Allan McKay
Brian Alvarez
Daniel Chamberlin
Victor Wei

To submit your work for this review upload your work to your CGPortfolio by Friday 25th July and tag it blurvfx
To register for the live web stream VFX review session - click here . (Please only register if you're planning on attending, as spaces are limited. A recording will be made)

Please post any questions you have in this thread and we'll get them answered for you as best we can.

Oh, and here is something cool that Blur has just made for you to have a look at. Enjoy!

And something else...

Old 06 June 2014   #2
CGI generalist Reel

Hey.

What if i have a generalist reel? (with multiple aspects of 3d discipline)

CGI generalist Reel

Thanks,Elad

Old 06 June 2014   #3
Question

An amazing opportunity indeed, one small question though. Does the work get reviewed individually with the artist or will this be a live stream with everybody at the same time?

Old 06 June 2014   #4
My specialty is creating tools by using MaxScript, Is it possible to post my website instead of demoreel?

Old 06 June 2014   #5
Good and Cool idea...

My question:

- Deadtime for upload works is 30 June by time-zone of CG Society ?

- Can I upload link a video protect by password or only pubblic view ?

Thank you for now
Matteo

VFX | CG Artist
available for freelance jobs
www.art2upz.com

RnD | Simulation Reel July 2014
3D Generalist Reel Winter 2012

Old 06 June 2014   #6
Isn't the video upload only available for paying members?

Or am I missing something? The portfolio tells me it only accepts JPGs when uploading.

Does that also mean the whole "Meet the team" is restricted to paying members or is there some way to just link demo reel for review?

Alex

edit: Sorry about this. I found out that you can link a video from Vimeo or Youtube when you post a cover picture first. It works now.

There are two rules for success:
1) Never tell everything you know.

-Roger H. Lincoln-

www.alexdiestel.com

Last edited by Eightball : 06 June 2014 at 08:42 PM.

Old 06 June 2014   #7
OK - answering some questions.

Originally Posted by elads: Hey.

What if i have a generalist reel? (with multiple aspects of 3d discipline)

CGI generalist Reel

Thanks,Elad

You can enter your reel in as many categories as you like, by adding the tags of the specific categories to the project page on which you have your reel. You can put as few or as many categories as you like but you must have created work in that category. (You can explain on your project page what you did in each particular shot).

To tag your work follow these steps:

1. Log in to your account
2. Go to your portfolio
3. click on the project you want to tag
4. Find the 'Tags' section on the right. Look for the red bar with the white 'TAGS' text.
5. Click the 'Edit' button
6. Enter the tag in the text entry box that appears
7. Hit Enter
8. You'll notice the 'Press enter to store an item' tool tip blocks the 'save' button so click out of the text entry box and then click the 'save' button. We will clean this up shortly as that tooltip should not be shown there!

Originally Posted by Edwiersma: An amazing opportunity indeed, one small question though. Does the work get reviewed individually with the artist or will this be a live stream with everybody at the same time?

Good question. It will be a live - stream with everybody at the same time. Each live-stream is only 2 hours long so it's likely we won't be able to review everyone's work. That's why we're using the tagging system - to pull all the work in each category together. We'll send this work through to Blur, and then they will select the work they review live.

To that end, we'd like to ask that if you have not submitted work, you don't sign up for the live sessions as there are limited seats and we want to make sure that the people who have submitted work get a spot

Originally Posted by MatteoM:
- Deadtime for upload works is 30 June by time-zone of CG Society ?

- Can I upload link a video protect by password or only pubblic view ?

Thank you for now
Matteo

The deadlines are different for each category, but we're using PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) as our timezone (Los Angeles and San Francisco summer time). The deadline will always be midnight PDT of the dates indicated.

And no, all video links must be publicly viewable. They will be reviewed publicly in the live-steams, and this will be recorded.

Originally Posted by MZ: My specialty is creating tools by using MaxScript, Is it possible to post my website instead of demoreel?

I can't see why this would be a problem - so long as its correctly tagged, and you explain this is what you're doing.

Originally Posted by Eightball: I found out that you can link a video from Vimeo or Youtube when you post a cover picture first. It works now.

You've done it exactly right, Eightball and tagged it exactly right, too. You are the reel-poster poster-child

Old 06 June 2014   #8
I would also like to expand on Kirsty's responses and say that for many of these categories we are perfectly happy to review stills as well, obviously this is not the case for Animation/ Rigging. Things do not need to be presented in a demo reel fashion to get our attention.

Focus on quality, not presentation. Hope that helps

Old 06 June 2014   #9
Smile

A few other questions have come up that I would like to respond to as well, and hopefully this is helpful to others.

a) What should be the main focus to make a effective showreel?
As I said in my last post, you do not have to have a show reel. A beautiful still that has great lighting and is well composed says a lot about ones abilities.

Also, this is a critique, not a job interview per say. We are hoping to be able to help you improve upon what you are already doing correctly and help you focus on your strong points. Hopefully this will help you in future or current job hunts, and who knows, maybe eventually land you a job at blur.

b) What are the keypoints that Blur Studio notices in a 3D Artist's portfolio during recruitment?
Blur is a creative studio and looks for creative people. It is hard to say if there are any hard and fast things that we look for in a portfolio. I can say obviously quality and consistency play a big part in it. Also, we may be a large-ish studio but we have a small studio mentality and outlook, so people that can do many aspects of a project and can show great examples of that carry a lot of weight.

c) How can I decide and select subjects during preparing my portfolio for Blur Studio?

ONLY show your best work! Being able to self-critique is one of the most important skills you can have and will take you far in this field. Whatever is your best, let us see it.

I hope this helps! Any other Blur peeps feel free to expand on this if you care to.

Old 06 June 2014   #10
Hello Kirsty,
First of all thank you so much for such awesome opportunity to hear from the Giants in the industry.

It was my dream to work in Video Game Industry as a 3D Artist and I am working really hard to push my limits, every day to every moment to live my dream. I am self-taught 3D artist and currently I am working as 3D Artist and Concept Artist in UBISOFT India. Everyday and every moment those spectacular works of those genius artists from these giant studios (like Blur, Blizzard, Ubisoft, Naughty Dogs, Activision and many more) inspire me and push me forward to work more harder.

But working hard and working smart are two different things.

My questions are:
a) What should be the main focus to make a effective showreel?
b) What are the keypoints that Blur Studio notices into a 3D Artist's portfolio during recruitment?
c) How can I decide and select subjects during preparing my portfolio for Blur Studio?
d) It will be awesome and helpful to have a glimpse into the portfolio of character artists that they showcased during their job interview at Blur. It will help us a lot.

I will be happy and thankful to you if my queries are being answered. Looking forward to your kind feedback. And I want to thank once again for such a wonderful initiative.

Cheers!!!

Old 06 June 2014   #11
Hey Nirmalendu - thanks for emailing us your questions and then posting them here as requested - they're good questions. We emailed them to Chad and you can see he's answered some of them above. Good luck!

Old 06 June 2014   #12
Hey guys,

this is a great idea! Thanks a lot!!

I am specializing in shading and lighting and I can't figure out how to fit my work in... Is there anything similar planned to also cover those disciplines another time?

Cheers,
--Markus

Old 06 June 2014   #13
Originally Posted by BaiLong: Hey guys,

this is a great idea! Thanks a lot!!

I am specializing in shading and lighting and I can't figure out how to fit my work in... Is there anything similar planned to also cover those disciplines another time?

Cheers,
--Markus

All of us at blur have a strong grasp on shading and lighting, so I would say enlist in the one which the subject matter speaks most to what you have done, or like to do. Environments is quite broad so if you feel like you don't fit in with any of the others my suggestion would be to sign up in that category.

Hope that helps.

Chad

Old 06 June 2014   #14
Will the live review sessions be recorded and watchable later?

Old 06 June 2014   #15
Originally Posted by sormint: Will the live review sessions be recorded and watchable later?

Hi Sormint, yes they will. We'll record each session, then upload the videos to the CGWorkshops YouTube Channel . We'll post those links in this thread as they are uploaded

reply share thread