Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
katon
point puller

portfolio
Katon Callaway
Lead Character Artist
DICE LA
Santa Monica, USA

Yeah Izzy and Andy are amazing artist, I really loved working with those guys.
As for maya, you can download student versions, as long as you arent working professionally it is ok. I am sure 3d studio max is the same. There is a lot of good free stuff to work with out there!
You for sure can get work like your friend, just have to work hard an promote yourself! Keep it up!

Katon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom-V
Interesting aspect to note that is on the degree side, i'll keep it in mind as i'm practically in the same boat with an Associates with a major in Art, thanks! I'm more of a guy on the art side of things like yourself, it's just that i don't have certain programs you guys would use to design your characters and what have you in order to expand my portfolio. I'm pretty good at drawing and using graphics programs like Photoshop (glance my small gallery here --> http://venom-v13.deviantart.com/gallery/ ) but i'd like to add more works like those that utilize the programs you guys use directly like Maya, Z-Brush, 3D Max Studios and what not. I've had a chance at Max and Maya before but never had personal copies of them for myself in order to really push the boundaries in what i could do but i suppose i can change that. Like someone mentioned earlier, i too am an outsider not from the U.S (hello from Belize out here in the Caribbean Central American area) and i'm aware also of how hard it is for those coming from outside in but i have a friend who studied with me and is from here originally as well who is over in the U.S now working on games and i say if he can accomplish that goal then so can i! On that Art site link given earlier i've also had a chance to run into 2 of your fellow God of War designing colleagues, 1 named Andy Park and the other going by nickname Izzy (i believe you know these guys well)!

Old 02-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #17
katon
point puller

portfolio
Katon Callaway
Lead Character Artist
DICE LA
Santa Monica, USA

Hey nvelinov thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it!
So for the character, I wanted to do something that I thought would be fun to make. I am greatly inspired by old school fantasy, so I always love making fantasy characters. Recently I have been looking a lot at Jean Baptiste Monge, he has been very inspirational to me, and of course guys like Alan Lee. Also I just love making trolls, goblins and dwarfs. So you could say it is just something I love to do. I did a lot of drawings, and then some sculpts to figure it out, then paint overs of that. So some back and forth between the two. Pretty standard stuff.
So for me, I try to find things I like and stretch myself. I have been trying to expand my design skills and this was a great opportunity to do it. So find those places you can and stretch yourself. I hope this helps!

Katon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvelinov
Greetings, Katon!!! I have certainly been inspired in my personal sculpting by the God Of War franchise and your character work in specific, and your portfolio website is one of those I visit often to check for new stuff.

I would like to ask about this character for the class - is there anything specific that inspied you for this concept, is there any particular idea you started with, anything you sketched on paper, or it did you just start pulling the clay and it happened in the end?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #18
nvelinov
portfolio
Nikolay Velinov
3d Generalist
Worldwide FX
Bulgaria

Thanks for the great reply! It is always hard to balance the two skills, creating one's own design for a character and modeling it but certainly is rewarding in the end.

And one more - just wondering, what is your perspective on VFX creature work for live action film in a similar position? There are certainly a lot of fantastical photoreal creatures and characters in movies nowadays with aesthethics and design influenced by video games... How does that seem similar or different (more\less exciting) from what you do for next-gen games? Just curious to hear your take...

Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #19
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread