PaulHellard
Writer/Editor/Bloke

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Paul Hellard
Fmr Editor, CGSociety
Hellard Media
Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via ICQ to PaulHellard Send a message via MSN to PaulHellard Send a message via Yahoo to PaulHellard
Meet the Artist :: Josh Herman

Always inspired by art and drawing a lot as a kid, Josh tried his hand at other things like business school, entrepreneurship, and auto-body mechanic before finally deciding to pursue art as a career. Raised in Colorado he attended a local animation college and after graduating he moved to Hollywood in 2008 to continue his education at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects.

Immediately after graduating in late 2009 Josh began working at Legacy Effects working on movies like REAL STEEL, THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN, TOTAL RECALL, and THE AVENGERS. After that Josh left Legacy to try his hand at games and worked for Naughty Dog on Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception, but soon found himself back in movies and working for Marvel Studios working on titles like, IRON MAN 3, THOR: THE DARK WORLD, CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, and THE AVENGERS : AGE OF ULTRON.

On the side, Josh loves to ‘pay it forward’ and has taught ZBrush Character Creation at CDA in Pasadena, CA and currently teaches for CGSociety's CGWorkshops. Josh is also one of the talented artists who has put together the latest Ballistic Publishing Masterclass book Essence Creatures, now available to preOrder.

Please give a big welcome to Josh Herman.

Last edited by PaulHellard : 11-11-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
punchatz
PRO
portfolio
Greg Punchatz
Janimation
Dallas, USA

Welcome Josh! I really dig your work.

Have to say I am a bit envious of your position at at Marvel Must be a sweet gig.

Keep up the awesome ZB work!

Greg

Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
whad
portfolio
Adrien Centonze
computer graphiste
UFO Games
Lyon, France

Send a message via MSN to whad
Hi Josh and welcome aboard!

Like punchatz said it, you've got an amazing portfolio, which should make jealous a lot of guys around.
Congratulation to you, having such a position like yours should have cost a lot of time and effort, but it's worth, it's a pleasure to look at your work.

If you permitted it I would like to begin the thread and the questioning stuff to know if we could have an overview of your Workflow when you are working on a character like Iron Man for example?
I am actually trying to do the bridge between Zbrush and Maya working on low poly and hard surface and, damn, it's such a pain!

It's a pleasure to have you there, keep it up!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
DroidsForSale
Veteran

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Josh Herman
USA

Hey everyone!

@punchatz Thanks! Marvel is a great job. Love getting to work on movies that I'm excited about with a great team.

@whad Thank you. When it comes to my process for a character like Iron Man, I tend to just poly model the character from scratch. Sometimes I will start in Zbrush just to get the proportions, but I don't used that model for anything other than that.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
ronit12
portfolio

2D Animation

Hi,
You are amazing work. Really Very Nice Work.
Please Check Our Site:-http://www.2danimation-services.com

Thanks,
Regard,
The Cheesy Animation.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #6
jeffhenderson
portfolio

Hi Josh,

Your work is awesome, and incredibly beautiful. Hope that more work will be presented in future

Old 09-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
mulley96

portfolio

I am only starting out in 3d modelling, and am interested in how long does it take to become really good at it.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #8
DroidsForSale
Veteran

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Josh Herman
USA

From my teaching experience, I found that you can get pretty decent with a few months to a year if you really focus on it.

That being said, I went to school for 5 years in "CG". Also have been working for 6 years professionally and trust me, you can always get better. I see improvement in my own work from 2-3 years ago.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
ciskanika
Explorer
portfolio
Andrew Cisco
Graphic Designer
Philadelphia, USA

Hi Josh!

I love your work!

I'm sure working at Marvel absorbs most of your time and attention, but do you take time for personal art projects? I am currently learning what I can through self-education. Do you have any recommendations for students pursuing the entertainment industry through self-education?

In your early career, what were some of the most beneficial experiences (education or otherwise) that helped you break into your first professional job?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #10
alexau
Explorer
portfolio

It will be great to get a Keith Urban tickets and go at the concert.

Last edited by alexau : 05-25-2016 at 07:34 AM.

reply share thread