PaulHellard
Writer/Editor/Bloke

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Paul Hellard
Fmr Editor, CGSociety
Hellard Media
Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via ICQ to PaulHellard Send a message via MSN to PaulHellard Send a message via Yahoo to PaulHellard
Neil Blevins :: Meet the Artist

Hey there,

It is with great pleasure I present this 'Meet the Artist' thread to accompany the Artist Profile of Neil Blevins. A long time coming too, as Neil has been in the industry, blowing viewers away with his modeling, lighting and texturing finesse for years, both at Blur Studio and then at Pixar Animation Studios in Emeryville. He has also been submitting to our books across at Ballistic since the original EXPOSÉ.

Click the image to go to the artist profile and return with your questions.

Please make him welcome. He'll be online soon.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Hey Neil,

I have been a massive fan of your work for a really long time. In fact, it was finding your website that really pushed me into a career in 3D. I remember pouring over your 'LOIK' tutorial, and staring at that image of the toothy mushroom creature for hours!

When we take a look at your personal work, and compare it to the Pixar 'style', the 2 are VASTLY different. When moving, did you find it difficult to adopt their style, or do you just infuse your own style with Pixar?

Your scripts are fantastic, and are used in our office on a daily basis. Whenever we upgrade to a newer version of MAX, the Soulburn Scripts are the first thing we install. Do you have any new upcoming scripts to add to the arsenal?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
bkravi
Senior 3D Artist

portfolio
Ravindra Badgujar
New Delhi, India

Very Happy to see you in meet the Artist.
your tutorials always helped me.
Nice to meet you

Website-
http://www.divinefx.com

Old 11-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
MaryamNademi
CGRecord.net

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Maryam Nademi
Architect & Illustrator
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Thank you Neil! Your scripts are essential, Your art work is inspiring, you have been always an inspiration and I dig your style, sci-fi pieces are mysterious mind blowing and amazing. god knows how do you come up with those designs......

It would be awesome to see a video tutorial of your modeling methods in the future. you make it look so easy! I don't know scripting and my workflow doesn't need me to, i was wondering maybe managing all those details without scripting is not possible?

who inspires you for your sci-fi works?

many many many thanks!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
joelgray
Veteran

portfolio
Joel Gray
CG Generalist
Joel Gray, Inc.
Colorado Springs, USA

Thanks!

Neil,

Your contributions to the CG community have been enormous and are certainly appreciated by those who have been to your website or had the chance to chat with you in person or in the forums. I've certainly learned a lot from your CG Education pages over the years and your scripts have made life much easier and saved countless hours. I used to look toward you for artistic inspiration and technical tips, but these days I'm actually more moved by the fact that you maintain energy and enthusiasm for your work and career, but also have the foresight to balance that with family, friends and raising your daughter. For all the tips you've shared over the years, keeping balance in your life has probably been the best one you've shared so far..

Sincerely,

Joel Gray

Old 11-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

Hey everyone! First off, a big thanks to Paul for getting the interview up, I'm honored to be included in the meet the artist section.

I'll be dropping by a couple of times a day to answer people's questions, so feel free to ask away, ask followup questions, whatever you'd like, and I'll do my best to answer them promptly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
I have been a massive fan of your work for a really long time. In fact, it was finding your website that really pushed me into a career in 3D. I remember pouring over your 'LOIK' tutorial, and staring at that image of the toothy mushroom creature for hours!

Hey Pyke! Glad you've found my work inspiring! Man, I remember that character, so many years ago. Think I still have an image somewhere.

Quote:
When we take a look at your personal work, and compare it to the Pixar 'style', the 2 are VASTLY different. When moving, did you find it difficult to adopt their style, or do you just infuse your own style with Pixar?

Well, when I joined Blur back in 1999, my very first project was working on some WBKids TV bumpers. So right there I was confronted with a very different style, and I had to come up with work that fit the style. It was a little difficult at first, I remember vividly a discussion I had with Tim Miller (head of Blur) one night where I said I was having difficulty making artistic choices in a style that was very different than my own. But I muddled through it, and got a lot better the more I did it. By the time I reached Pixar and started working on the Incredibles, it wasn't really an issue anymore. Plus, sometimes Pixar's work is a lot closer to my own style, like Walle's misty dirty environments was a great match for my personal artistic style. But to make it in this industry, you need to be flexible. And plus I've always loved a lot of different artistic styles, even if my absolute favorite is darker grittier stuff.

Quote:
Your scripts are fantastic, and are used in our office on a daily basis. Whenever we upgrade to a newer version of MAX, the Soulburn Scripts are the first thing we install. Do you have any new upcoming scripts to add to the arsenal?

Glad you've found the scripts useful. Not much new beyond bug fixes in the near future unfortunately, my freetime has been seriously erroded and so don't have much time to work on new scripts.

It's a pretty standard life arc really. You start off a student, and have all the time in the world for personal projects (It didn't seem like that at the time). Then you get a job, and now you're doing artistic work all day long, so your personal work suffers. Then you get a girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband and your time becomes even more limited. I'm lucky that I married another artist, so we'd still have "art nights" where the two of us would sit in the computer room and make our own artwork. But then, the final distraction comes, kids! And it becomes very difficult to juggle everything.

But I am going to make a strong effort starting next year to get back into doing some personal stuff, art, tools and tutorials. So we'll see how it goes. I'll do my best to get a few new tools worked on and released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkravi
Very Happy to see you in meet the Artist.
your tutorials always helped me.
Nice to meet you

Thanks bkravi, glad you've found my tutorials useful!

- Neil

Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryamNademi
Thank you Neil! Your scripts are essential, Your art work is inspiring, you have been always an inspiration and I dig your style, sci-fi pieces are mysterious mind blowing and amazing. god knows how do you come up with those designs......

Thanks Maryam! I appreciate the compliments!

Quote:
It would be awesome to see a video tutorial of your modeling methods in the future. you make it look so easy! I don't know scripting and my workflow doesn't need me to, i was wondering maybe managing all those details without scripting is not possible?

Ya, I've considered doing a modeling tutorial or DVD at some point. Although there are already a number of really good ones out there, like these guys here:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...-to-Final-Image
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...-for-Production
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...-Next-Gen-Games
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...e%2C-Volume-One

I did a DVD on shading and texturing first because I felt there wasn't as much good material out there on the subject. But I'll try and get more modeling stuff out there at some point.

You can do everything without scripts, but scripts just let you do these things faster. The ones I use the most (in the modeling process) are:

attachSelectedObjects, circleArrayMaker, findInstances, modifierUtilities, nameManager, objectDetacher, objectDropper, objectReplacer, parameterManager, transformRandomizer.

Quote:
who inspires you for your sci-fi works?

Primarily Zdzislaw Beksinski, Giger, Ashley Wood, Dave McKean, Heidi Taillefer, John Harris, Nicolas Bouvier (sparth), and Nicolas Ferrand. I'm also inspired by a number of non scifi artists, like I love the work of JMW Turner and some of the Hudson River School founders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray
Your contributions to the CG community have been enormous and are certainly appreciated by those who have been to your website or had the chance to chat with you in person or in the forums. I've certainly learned a lot from your CG Education pages over the years and your scripts have made life much easier and saved countless hours. I used to look toward you for artistic inspiration and technical tips, but these days I'm actually more moved by the fact that you maintain energy and enthusiasm for your work and career, but also have the foresight to balance that with family, friends and raising your daughter. For all the tips you've shared over the years, keeping balance in your life has probably been the best one you've shared so far..

Thanks Joel. Keeping that balance is a difficult thing, although thankfully Pixar is a very family friendly place, and they do a lot to promote a more balanced lifestyle. I can't tell you how awesome it is to have a baby girl. And how ridiculously difficult it is at the same time. Having kids isn't for everyone, but I always wanted to have the experience, and I'm lucky to have found not just a wonderful wife, but turns out a wonderful mother as well to share that experience with.

This industry is a tough one because so many companies rely on things like chronic overtime to make ends meet. And that just isn't sustainable, neither from a company perspective, an industry perspective, nor from a worker perspective. Working 80 hour weeks is fine at age 20, but far more difficult at age 40 when you have a family and children. Some people live and breath work, and that's cool, my love of cg artwork is a huge portion of who I am and what I love to do as well. But I have found that a lack of balance in my life leads to a lot of problems, from relationship problems to serious health problems. So I highly recommend to everyone to plan for the future. Love your work, love art and cg, but also love yourself and love the fact that you should give yourself the opportunity to explore a lot of different experiences. Stepping away from the computer is sometimes as important and sitting down at the computer to get your work done.

Anyways, thanks again, hope you find the balance that you need in your life as well!

- Neil

Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
blipper

United Kingdom

Great going Neil. Always a pleasure to see your work and always appreciative of the resources and insights you give. So how about getting the ball rolling on a Pixar/Studio Ghibli collaboration?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Tehotet
portfolio
John
Berkeley, USA

Hey Neil!

On top of the amazing artwork thanks so much again for all the resources and tutorials you've put out there!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipper
Great going Neil. Always a pleasure to see your work and always appreciative of the resources and insights you give. So how about getting the ball rolling on a Pixar/Studio Ghibli collaboration?

Thanks Blipper. And yes, I'd love to see Pixar colaborate with Ghibli, I love Princess Mononoke and Naussica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehotet
On top of the amazing artwork thanks so much again for all the resources and tutorials you've put out there!

Thanks Tehotet, glad you've found my tutorials useful to you. I have a few ideas for some new ones, hopefully I'll be able to get them out early 2012.

- Neil

Old 11-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
PaulHellard
Writer/Editor/Bloke

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Paul Hellard
Fmr Editor, CGSociety
Hellard Media
Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via ICQ to PaulHellard Send a message via MSN to PaulHellard Send a message via Yahoo to PaulHellard
Hey Neil, I've got one.

You mentioned, years ago, 'making images by programming the x and y coordinates of each pixel'. How do you feel your understanding of the code assisted you in your move towards a career with digital art, as an artist?

And does the 'tech' sometimes get in the way of the 'art'?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHellard
You mentioned, years ago, 'making images by programming the x and y coordinates of each pixel'. How do you feel your understanding of the code assisted you in your move towards a career with digital art, as an artist? And does the 'tech' sometimes get in the way of the 'art'?

I think understanding the 'code' always helps. In general, more indepth knowledge of any facet of your chosen tool can help you, but it's certainly not necessary. I know some fantastic painters who don't know anything about how photoshop works, but can produce work in it that kicks my butt. The only downside I'd say is that if you spend a lot of time learning about the tech, that takes time away from practicing the art, and practice time is super important to stay sharp. Personally though, my mind is a blend of the art and the tech, and I find both interesting, so I try and keep myself in both worlds as much as possible. I don't want to focus on only one.

I'll be back in tomorrow for more questions, thanks so far for plenty of good ones!

- Neil

Old 11-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #13
eUKhost
portfolio
eUKhost
eUKhost Ltd.
Leeds, United Kingdom

This is my first post in the CGSociety forum. I tried to find the Introduction section, but was unable to find it. Anyway, I was stumbling on the StumbleUpon and found the following image and wanted to comment on that post to appreciate the artist art work.
http://features.cgsociety.org/newga...03810_large.jpg

But, unfortunately the thread is closed. However, I still wanted to appreciate other artists on this forum. I visited few of the artists threads, and found them very impressive and encouraging. I do use photoshop a little, but not an addict as you people are. Really great artists. This is one of the best artists forums on Internet.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
MaryamNademi
CGRecord.net

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Maryam Nademi
Architect & Illustrator
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Thank you for taking the time and giving us detailed answers.

Modeling: I specifically mean the style you use to do i.e. tech floors in your cg portfolio. I didn't find any other artists to do the similar and i have done quite a lot of research! I have read the articles in CG Education and specifically vertex paintings and tips to how to get more details from procedural maps, thanks to you.

Those tech floors are indeed a great source of inspiration and the reason i think they could help every 3d artist is that though technically complicated they are actually very abstract, and doing similar practices helps us to learn how to think! which is very important in design process. this is one of those practices in 3d as useful as conceptual and speed paintings in 2d. i found your art helping me to understand Zdzislaw Beksinski in a more practical way, and god knows how thankful i am to be able to ask you in person and a huge thanks to cgsociety.

more questions:

1) What movies are your favorites?
2) which short stories are your favorites?
3) do you write stories as well?
4) what music band is your favorite?
5) which movie directors are your favorite?
6) what do you not like to see in young designers?
7) if you were not having the experience working in Blur or pixar would you be the artist you are now?

All the best.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
maxspider3000
Nothing is impossible ;)

portfolio
Yusuf Eltelpany
3D & Motion Graphic Designer
Freelancer
Egypt

wow man, it was a long time since I browse your site for the first time
you really look older than it back then :P

a big thank you for you Neil