CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVII - Master and Servant - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-26-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
marcib
marcia broderick
Designer/Artist
Rarified Media
mercer island, USA

Master and Servant 2D Entry: Marcia Broderick

Marcia Broderick has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Perspectives on Dominance

This was a difficult challenge in that I don\'t view the world on these terms.

The illustration is focused on the dog, with the surround soft and unfocused. Both are unaware of each other which I think is important, as master and servant roles are sometimes undefined. I think our relationship with dogs is one of the most misunderstood common relationships experienced on a regular basis: where leader and servant or subserviant roles interchange depending on the point of view.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
marcib
marcia broderick
Designer/Artist
Rarified Media
mercer island, USA

Coloring WIP: Perspectives on Dominance

I am new to the group. I'm interested in every-day relationships, how we perceive them and how we take these relationships for granted. Often misinterpreting our place within these relationships and the signals around us.

I got the final idea while playing with my dog. When I lay on the floor, she loves to stand over me.

Last edited by marcib : 04-26-2005 at 11:03 PM.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
marcib
marcia broderick
Designer/Artist
Rarified Media
mercer island, USA

Line Art: perspectives on Dominance

just a rough to work out POV

Old 04-26-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
marcib
marcia broderick
Designer/Artist
Rarified Media
mercer island, USA

Concept Sketch: perspectives on Dominance

I work very rough, and mostly in my mind. I am very hesitant to show these. The first two thoughts were too literal and didn't seem very interesting in composition. Also, they didn't get at the core of the thought. I generally draw over sketches, as you can see in this image. usually I just paint over the closest sketch and work things out as I go. = /

Old 04-26-2005, 11:00 PM   #5
marcib
marcia broderick
Designer/Artist
Rarified Media
mercer island, USA

Final Coloring: Perspectives on Dominance

Almost final, I decided that the two should be focused on their own private perspectives (not looking at eachother).

I'm working in Corel Painter 8.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:04 PM   #6
Nerd_Pack
Struggling Human

Josh Rainwater
Art Student
Ashland, USA

Wow, you certainly work fast... welcome! It's looking pretty good so far, the traditional master/slave is probably good from that perspective, just looking at it from a different angle changes it up. Is there any difference between the man=master and dog=slave at all? Just curious. I await to see how this turns out.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:35 PM   #7
marcib
marcia broderick
Designer/Artist
Rarified Media
mercer island, USA

Perspectives in Dominance

Hello jrainwat,
Thank you for responding. I was very nervous about entering the challenge. You all are very game oriented and although I am a gamer, I wasnít sure if anyone would relate, I am a traditionally trained artist as well as a content developer. I was very hesitant to join, but a friend suggested that I should.

To answer your question: I've been learning about dog behavior for the past 12 years or so. Most people don't recognize their behavior for what it is: all about dominance. They do have emotional attachments to people, that is obvious. What we tend to miss are the messages they send to us every day; we take for granted our position over them. I also am amazed at some people's lack of regard for these wonderful animals.

As an aside to support this thread: I know a woman who is very well educated. She had a wonderful dog that protected her children and home. One day she came home and shot her dog and then made dinner. Horrified I asked her why, she replied she had grown up on a farm and the dog was getting old. So she shot it. It had served it's purpose in her mind.

This event, which I wish I could forget, along with living with dogs has changed my life. Her act and knowing what I now know about dogs now has been core impetus for this drawing. Hopefully people will relate and think itís germane.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
Nerd_Pack
Struggling Human

Josh Rainwater
Art Student
Ashland, USA

That's really cool, but some people just can't quite get all the subtlety in relationships with pets. I'm trying to be pretty subtle and psychological etc. with my piece too, but sometimes people just seem so dumb haha Sometimes you just gotta smack 'em in the face with it, huh? Of course, saying it and doing it are completely different...

Old 04-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #9
liiga
Frequenter

portfolio
Liiga Smilshkalne
Riga, Latvia

Ah yes, the new concept is great. I often think about how it must be for a pet, when you're so small and everyone around you is so big (well except for other, smaller animals). So I can entirely relate to the idea you are portraying here.

Actually it isn't only dogs for whom the master-servant relationship is of utmost importance. My cat is similar in that (yeah, a cat!). A few days ago I spanked him for 'improving the scent' of my bed (ya know), and didn't let him in my room for a while. After that he was so sour and miserable that mom was worried that he'd get sick. Ended up cuddling him a bit and now he's happily asleep in the bed again, now that he knows I'm not angry at him anymore. So I guess a lot of pets are truely that way, although we often take their behaviour for granted, as something that their species is supposed to show.

Oh and welcome to the challenge! I wouldn't say that everyone here is game orientated - I for sure am not. So feel at home. ^^

Old 04-27-2005, 12:00 AM   #10
stepington
Human Water Filter

portfolio
Steve-O
illustrator/ photoshop artist
Laika Entertainment
Portland, USA

Nice perseptive, love the blur of the master in the background - brings a nice focus onto the dog.

Old 04-27-2005, 12:21 AM   #11
HoangNguyen
Frequenter

portfolio
Hoang Nguyen
Senior Art Director
Namco Bandai Games
Santa Clara, USA

I love the prespective in this one, very dramatic. The dog snout is very realistic and very well done. I know that the central focal point is the dog, but I can't help but think, maybe some more detail in the jean?

My 2D Master & Servant challenge
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=233276

Old 04-27-2005, 02:51 AM   #12
arLutiK
3D or not 3D...

portfolio
Gerard Jaran
3D Artist
freelancer
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to arLutiK
Camera angle rules, great work. Can't wait to see the final one.

Master & Servant

my site

Old 04-29-2005, 03:45 AM   #13
marcib
marcia broderick
Designer/Artist
Rarified Media
mercer island, USA

Final Image: Perspectives on Dominance

This was a difficult challenge in that I don\'t view the world on these terms.

The illustration is focused on the dog, with the surround soft and unfocused. Both are unaware of each other which I think is important, as master and servant roles are sometimes undefined. I think our relationship with dogs is one of the most misunderstood common relationships experienced on a regular basis: where leader and servant or subserviant roles interchange depending on the point of view.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:34 AM   #14
Squibbit
Dude

Panu Uomala
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to Squibbit

wow that's a pretty neat pic , for a split second i thought u was
posting some photo ref pic , but it was the final image

Old 04-29-2005, 07:47 AM   #15
Maginnis
Bacne Popper

portfolio
kevin maginnis
Game Arteest
Gizzard Studios
USA

That is some real commitment to that camera angle. That's aweseome, so different. I think keeping eyes and facial details out of it really supports the ambiguity of the master/servant role you are describing. Is the one doing the leading in the foreground the master or is the larger distant figure with the leash the master. I like it. one thing..maybe it's super cheesy but what if you had a leaf here or there falling to really tie the various levels of the image together. or perhaps a bug that the dog is looking at. again could be cheesy but might merit a brief experiment

Thread Closed share thread