CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVII - Master and Servant - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-08-2005, 02:23 AM   #1
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Master and Servant 2D Entry: Ali Jamalzadeh

Ali Jamalzadeh has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Wake up Eubert, it's time to go home.

Here is the last image, i didnít change any of the color from the previous milestone. i had been watching my levels, color, and saturation pretty closely the whole way, so i didnít see any more i would change at the end. this has been a fun challenge, and im proud of the end result. i was nervous when i first came up with the mixed media strategy, but in the end im glad i did.

Last edited by Feeblepenguin : 04-08-2005 at 05:38 AM.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:16 AM   #2
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Hi everyone,

This is the first time ive entered one of these challenges, ive looked at some of the art being submitted and there are some really talented people toiling away with this theme, I canít wait to see what comes of it!

The fist image is the end of my first sitting with this project, the rest show my process to it.

From this point on the changes will be less and less dramatic and more rendering.

The final composition will actually have another panel beneath the text the same as the first with the sunset and everything, but with the girl riding the slug as it flyís into the background (presumably home). The sun will have set further and the colors and values will be slightly different. I donít know if text or a image sequence is allowed (ive never seen it in the other challenges) so I might get disqualified, but ill have fun with this anyway.

The first images were of some ink washes I did in my sketchbook that I overlaid on top of each other, then I used a bunch of textures that I painted or from photographs to create the surfaces you see in the rest. These were stacked with various layer blending styles and color adjustments.

The rest of the work will be painting on top of those textures to give details, and render backlight, wet leaves etc.

Let me know what you guys think, as always I welcome harsh critiques as long as its constructive.

Good luck everyone!

Old 04-08-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Send a message via AIM to CoreyArtE

wow very very nice start! I like where this is going, has a very disney essence to it to me for some reason. Really sweet ! Oh and welcome to the competition !

Old 04-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Concept Sketch: Time to go home

Here is the initial concept; a girl riding a lazy slug creature (named Eubert) looks up from her book to notice a settling twilight and burning wet setting sun. She knows her mom will have dinner ready soon and gently wakes up Eubert to fly them both home.

This image shows me figuring out the character designs and layout/wording/composition of the piece. I wanted to make the girl the same girl from a game concept that im working on (hence the horns) but then I read the human requirement and changed it.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Line Art: Time to go home - line art

There isnít much line art to speak of for this piece, its mostly graphic color shapes, and I donít really keep my line art very long before painting over it anyway, but I did do some for the slug and girl. (I changed the pose of the girl for the piece but the slug is pretty much true to the line art.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Coloring WIP: Time to go home- WIP

This is mostly the way the final image will look, minus the detail rendering. At this point the color, composition, design etc. is mostly done. The final image will still have a second panel underneath this one with the two of them flying into the background, but ill have to wait to do that till I finish the rendering on the environment in the first panel so I donít have to do it twice.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Coloring WIP: Time to go home WIP 2

added some detail to the shell of the slug and its head/eyes and colored the blanket.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #8
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
Illustrator/animator
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyArtE
wow very very nice start! I like where this is going, has a very disney essence to it to me for some reason. Really sweet ! Oh and welcome to the competition !

yeh i agree,has that *AHHHH DISNEY* vibe to it.

keep goin,i like what u got so far!

Old 04-11-2005, 03:38 AM   #9
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Sr. Art Director
Kabam
Oakland, USA

Hey, Ali! It was cool getting to meet you at the Alternative Press Expo yesterday. Neat to see your work, too. I like where you're going with this so far. The textures are really wonderful, I really like how you're combining digital with natural media to come up with something so incredibly rich .The sky is just lovely, so much so that it may be overpowering the main characters a little. The child reads well, silhouetted on the backdrop, but the snail is blending in a lot with the ground beneath it, amking it hard to read. You might consider brightening it up some, or dropping the ground so that both of them are silhouetted on the sky.

I also don't think you need the text to make this work, but if you do want it there, at least have "it?s" written as "it's." Good luck polishing this off - you look like you're really close! Hope you don't mind the comments! :-)

-mike
(Jason W.'s friend)

Old 04-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Coloring WIP: Time to go home- WIP 3

I changed the color and texture of the ground around the slug so he didnít blend into the background as much, and solidified the wing exposed from the side of his shell. I also poked my brush around a few more areas like the girl, and added quotes around the text and changed the ? to a semi-colon.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:29 AM   #11
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Hi Mike- thanks for your comments! and of course i donít mind, well articulated criticisms like yours are exactly why i post my work.

im glad i got to meet you at the expo, your entry is very strong and really stands out amongst the rest with its humor and originality. i agree with your comments about the slug blending into the background, on the latest update a changed the color and texture of the floor around him, i think this did the trick but i cant be sure yet... i also changed the ? as requested. i see what your saying about the text, but when i put the other panel beneath, the text will have more of a purpose as it ties the images into a narrative.

NOOB!- i cringe when i hear Disney... but hopefully your referring to the intense water color backgrounds that Disney used in their earlier films, Disney did them better than anyone (including themselves now)....so thanks.

coreyartE- thanks for the support, im glad at least a couple of people found my post buried under the rest.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:52 PM   #12
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Coloring WIP: Time to go home WIP - 5

In this image i tinkered some more with colors, made the sun more intense, cleaned up the girl, got rid of the ZZZ's and got rid of some of the grey in the grass.

Old 04-16-2005, 12:28 AM   #13
arLutiK
3D or not 3D...

portfolio
Gerard Jaran
3D Artist
freelancer
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to arLutiK
the sun really set the mood, your water color is amazing looks like you would of scan the actual thing.
Wonderful work

Master & Servant

my site

Old 05-18-2005, 04:32 AM   #14
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Final Coloring: Wake up Eubert.

this is probably the final image. i will do another color adjustment pass for the final turn in, but i doubt i will change anything. i re-added the zzz, added the bottom frame that i had intended all along, and completed the narrative in doing so. i color shifted all the environment layers to reflect the change in time and lowered the sun. Well i think that it! this piece was a lot of fun, and i learned allot painting it.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:37 AM   #15
Feeblepenguin
Veteran
portfolio
Ali Jamalzadeh
3D environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Final Image: Wake up Eubert, it's time to go home.

Here is the last image, i didnít change any of the color from the previous milestone. i had been watching my levels, color, and saturation pretty closely the whole way, so i didnít see any more i would change at the end. this has been a fun challenge, and im proud of the end result. i was nervous when i first came up with the mixed media strategy, but in the end im glad i did.

Thread Closed share thread