Master and Servant 2D Entry: Malachi D. Maloney

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #31
Coloring WIP: background working...

Started working on the bg. Just blocking things in at this point...

Thanks for lookin'. =)

M

Old 05 May 2005   #32
Hey Malachi! Starting to look nice.

-My Grand Space Opera-

"
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!" -Faithless

Old 05 May 2005   #33
Hey thanks, TeemuR. I appreciate you droppin' back in to check out my progress. =)

M

Old 05 May 2005   #34
maybe some shadows on the ground for your characters, overall its great!! thats one house i dont want to get into ... great job dude & hurry! hurry!

theres not much difference between your pencil tip & a diamond

Old 05 May 2005   #35
I really like the feel of this one... in a creepy kind of way. It has the feel if a brothers grim tale.

At the moment, the light feels a little disconnected from the scene but I guess you will make thing tie in more with time. Actually, I quite like the way that the bg is flat like a stage prop.

Old 05 May 2005   #36
Oh yeah, nice work on the beast. There is a lot of detail there but you havn't lost the form or character of him. Nice and imaginiative too.

Old 05 May 2005   #37
Thanks for the feedback folks. =)

I'm currently working on the background, lighting and shadows will definitely be added/tweaked. Should have another update ready in a few hours.

Thanks again for commenting! =)

M

Old 05 May 2005   #38
Coloring WIP: More background work...

I've done some more work on the background and I still have much work ahead of me...

I'm trying to figure out a way to intravenously inject my energy drinks in hopes they'll keep me awake and working longer, but so far no luck... ;)

Thanks for lookin'.

Another update's on its way soon. =)

M

Old 05 May 2005   #39
nice pic, i like the work on the lighting

Old 05 May 2005   #40
Thanks. =)

M

Old 05 May 2005   #41

Getting closer. Still have a few hours more work ahead of me before I can even come close to calling this done. My final lighting, light fixtures, environmental effects, etc., all still need to be painted. I'd like to paint some cool patterns for those rugs if I have time and I'd still like to put a carpet coming down the stairs too... Must stay awake............

Thanks for lookin,. =)

M

Old 05 May 2005   #42
Hehe! Cool style mixing! Gigerish textures on the wall. Yep, It starting to look ready

Hmm.. maybe you could try to add orange light coming from the bottom left hitting the beast? Or better not...

-My Grand Space Opera-

"
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!" -Faithless

Old 05 May 2005   #43

Here's another update. Gotta take a quick nap, I'm exhausted... More to come.

Thanks for the comments TeemuR. =)

M

Old 05 May 2005   #44
Final Image: "Obedience Training"

"Obedience Training"

Here's my final image. It's as finished as it's gonna get, considering how much time is left. I would've liked to do a more complicated pattern on the big rug (among other things), if time had permitted...

Anyways, I'm writing out my story now, should have it ready within the hour.

Thanks to those of you who stopped by and left comments and suggestions to show your support. I really appreciate it. =D

Thanks again.

M

Old 05 May 2005   #45
As far as a story's for this piece is concerned; I'm afraid I don't have a detailed, or fantastic story for it at all...

When I first read the theme for this contest, the first thing that popped into my mind was my Great Dane puppy, Elvis. Who, I recently took through obedience training.

I often find people are intimidated by him because of his size (115+ lbs.), but little do they know, he's only an 8 month old pup. Who's only wants in life are to get petted and chew on things...

It was this whole "overgrown baby" idea, that inspired this piece. The creature (slave) is being disciplined by the young girl (master), because he's just chewed up her favorite stuffed doll. I wanted to show the slave as being "scary" in appearance, while still showing his timid nature toward his master.

As far as the piece itself is concerned; Pretty much the only thing I'm happy with, is the slave/creature. He came out how I wanted him to for the most part, but the rest of the piece was rushed from concept, to the final detail rendering. I was already slammed with work when I took this contest project on, so my schedule played a big part in the lack of quality in this piece.

But, once I had finished the slave, I figured that even if it had to be rushed, I needed to finish the whole piece. I could have done a lot better though, if I would have planned the composition and environment better, etc., etc... So, I honestly can't be upset by the lack of attention my entry has received, because it really isn't all that interesting to look at.

Oh well, it was definitely a learning experience. I don't think I've ever tried to do an abstract-ish background like this before and it's one of the few times I've ever drawn a child.

Big thanks again to those of you who dropped a line in this thread to show support or offer advice. You guys rock!

Good luck to all of you on your entries!

Malachi

Thread Closed share thread