Master and Servant 2D Entry: Sander Taal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2005   #1
Master and Servant 2D Entry: Sander Taal

Sander Taal has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Sociorealism

The final image for my entry. Sociorealism from a different angle. Lets call it a behind the scenes look.

Old 03 March 2005   #2
oops, doublepost, messy messy : O

Last edited by kinnas : 03 March 2005 at 07:29 PM. Reason: doublepost

Old 03 March 2005   #3
Concept Sketch: Sociorealism: sketch

right. so here's my initial concept. this bloke, probably french or russian or something else culturelike walking down the street. The time is around the great depression, clothing and atmosphere to fit that. (that black and white seems to suit it but I'm thinking going for washed out beige overtone kinda feel perhaps. I'll fiddle around)

the master - servant idea is represented by a wad of money in his hand, hard earned factory work (with the factory in the background, smoke littering the sky) he is a slave to the money and to his dreams that only money can bring.

compositionally the characters face fits in with the golden mean. also, the factory is placed close to him as in not wanting to let him go, always looming over him, whilst there's still a long road to go (and covered in shadow). I'm thinking perhaps cutting the house a bit from the bottom and bring the pathway up higher, it sorta falls out of the frame right now.

Old 03 March 2005   #4
Hi, welcome. The concept is original by report of the other. I wait a more detailled skretch, good idea, really

one question......Why a french?

Old 03 March 2005   #5
Line Art: Sociorealism

most of it is set now. The pose is going to cause me troubles, I just know it but that's for the next update. Conceptwise I've added posters on the wall and the misty steam/smoke kinda atmospheric element, cold air blowing from behind him. They're going to further bring forth the depressed mood.

I'm just gonna upload this as lineart. It's not the concept stage anymore, nor is it colours. so it's the inbetween rendering period which is what lineart can aslo be about. yeah.

Old 03 March 2005   #6
looking good,lets see more!!

Old 03 March 2005   #7
Coloring WIP: Sociorealism

He's supposedly french cos I have a fancy with the french (especially 18th century but that's that. It's up to the viewer to choose if the nationality matters at all) he could be any country though, it's fairly generic. Most people associate the great depression with USA so he might just as well be american.

so far so good. the beige old photo deal seems to work and I'll probably stick with this. I'm thinking about darkening the whole picture and redoing the head. Looking at the viewer makes him all confronting even though he's supposed to be more scared and tired. Time to paint in the money.

Old 03 March 2005   #8
and yet another nice sketch. i think you've created the roght mood, that is depressing mood.

Old 03 March 2005   #9
hey mate. i see you've done some progress since i saw it last time. very nice mood. it's going to be interesting to see where are you going to take this..
keep it up kinnas. i'll be watching you

Old 03 March 2005   #10
It's looking very nice. And I like the concept. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Old 03 March 2005   #11
you've really set the right mood with the environment, however im not sure about the man. his expression is well.. expressionless. what i suggest is maybe he could be looking down at the money and realising that he is a slave to money. but i dont know, thats just a thought. great job friend

Old 03 March 2005   #12
Cool. Very depressing colors. I'm curious where this will be taken. Good luck!

Old 03 March 2005   #13
Cool. Very depressing colors. I'm curious where this will be taken. Good luck!..

Same thing!!!

Old 03 March 2005   #14
Coloring WIP: Socioralism: Photoshop trickery

Some independantly received crits directed my attention to the factory looming in the background. Mainly that it didn't stand out enough to have an impact which I hope I have now taken care of. I can also contrast it up a bit but I hope I don't have to.
Refining and semirendering going on troughout the picture. I'm open to suggestions on how to make the money more recognizable. Fiddled with the perspecitve, the lampposts now line up, as does the window. The stairs don't line up in theory but I think they look around believable, any thoughts on that? Also I have tackled and finally won the pose I think. The kind of pissed but trapped feel, head pulled between the shoulders and grudingly staring at the money earned. One-hand-in-the-pocket-attitude. Also a secret hidden cat. let's call unnoticable cats a habbit.

Photoshop trickery! I notice the image was lacking contrast, so I painted more darks on mr. bourgeois. And for comparison with the unatractive but maximum I did a little autocolours which gave me this nifty blueish overall tone. Cold. It has more air, is less claustrofobic and more uncharitable. I think it's better. I'll wait for imput from others before continuing though.

and thank you all for support : )

Old 03 March 2005   #15
good to see you working on such a fantastic image kinnas

Thread Closed share thread