Master and Servant 2D Entry: Stefano Azzalin

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #31
This looks really promising and ambitious! I feel that the area behind the demon is a bit empty. Where does the stair lead to behind the throne? You could put som kind of monument to add more scale to the image.

keep it up!

Old 04 April 2005   #32
again thanks to all for the suggestion

AirbORn:
possibly, a larger amount of figures could be better, be I must admit that I'm not that good at drawing human figures, so there's the serious risk to ruin everything if I exagerate... it's still a big challenge for me as it is actually

MaZzuk
do you mean the greyscale one, or the entire composition? as for the greyscale, it could have been worked better, far better, at the cost of many more hours of work obviously.
but i think it still has it's limits: for example you cannot "cut" the colors to simulate aerial perspective...

sidchagan
I'll surely add more details to the demon, i just need to find what...
I also planned to change the orientation of his head: that one i chose, was the only one i found that gave me the chance to make him look straight to the people down there, but doesn't satisfy me, so it will change.
for the sky you're right, actually it's kind of monotonous. I already have in mind something more detailed and dramatic, but I'll work on it in painter, where I can experiment more in less time.

Trenox
the stairs lead directly behind the throne, on the main platform.
there is a reason i didn't put anything behind the trone: i want to do some strong and beautiful clouds behind there, and something huge raising from behind the trone could literally cut my image in two... but i'll give it a try

Old 04 April 2005   #33
Coloring WIP: First coloring try

Ok, this is my first try at definining a possible colour aspect for the final image. I worked a little more on the middle group of figures, but there are still tons of things to do.
I don't really know if I like the background colors, when I have everything set down I'll be able to better understand what to keep and what to change (and what to improve of course...).
Most probably I'll need to add more light-shadow contrast and reduce the background saturation.

Old 04 April 2005   #34
Coloring WIP: Middle group close up

Just a close up of the middle group of figures.
Still have many things to define....

Old 04 April 2005   #35
Talking

lots a people, you'll work your butt out..but the harder the challenge, the greater we become..i think..i love your colours, they are very well balanced.

Old 04 April 2005   #36
Man, that is a really nice progress since the last time i was here. Their gestures are very readable and it works for you piece. I like the way you are painting it like gaugche.

cheers,
Archie

Old 04 April 2005   #37
Oh man... i pitty you mate... all thoes figures.... ahh would give me a head ache.

good luck pulling it off. ... i am still in awe.

Old 04 April 2005   #38
It's giving me head aches!!

all this time passed since my last update and i don't even have finished to define a primary pass of colour for all the figures...
I still have to decide between a more realistic colouring and a more "cartoony" (bad word, but it's the only one that came to my mind...) colouring with special effetcts

probably tomorrow I'll post an update.

Old 04 April 2005   #39
hey!

Good sketch. good idea. you should maybe add a character on foreground... in order to show a adoration feeling on facial expression..it's easy to say ..
hairs of character look too "synthetik" in comparaison with bodys (look realistic)

GOOD LUCK

Old 04 April 2005   #40
I like the concept, very nice so far... Maybe a bit extra red colour on the humans' bodies would work well, the red you have on the volcano's lava. The background saturation is IMHO fine the way it is.

Old 04 April 2005   #41
Coloring WIP: another close up

Got bored of filling spaces with colours, so I started to work on some detailing.
actually I'm concentrating on those central figures around the pillar, because I consider them the main reference from which compare and relate the colours of all the others.
Added some reds here and there,more hilights and more dark and purple shadows. ah, I forgot, added some hands too... ^_^
Actually the thing I like most, is the little "pet" visible in the upper right corner... (it's just drafted actually, but i already like it)

Old 04 April 2005   #42
and to answer the last two posts (really thanks for the suggestions )

Fiolka Alexandre
I don't know if I can do that facial expression, but it's some days I'm thinking of adding two or three figures facing the camera on the same level of those near the pillar. I'm getting a little bored of painting only backs and shoulders

Maidith
I'm trying to add more colour variation on the figures (I hope is at least a little visible at this stage). This image has the power of making me blind after half hour I'm working on it!

Old 04 April 2005   #43
When I look at this mass of "naked" people Queen's "I want to break free" starts playing in my mind. Great work Stefano, that pet reminds me of the wolve that raised Romulus and Remus

Cheers
Solo

Old 04 April 2005   #44
Talking

u are a patient man. i bow!

Old 04 April 2005   #45
great work
cool composition and excellent scene
more more more

my master and servant 2d
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=227677

Thread Closed share thread