Master and Servant 2D Entry: Linda Bergkvist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
-- cue twilight zone music

I just can't stop thinking about the image! It's nuts!

I just read through this thread - you guys and girls are so sweet. The encouragement really means more to me than I think you realise. :] I'm such a chicken shit, I barely dared to submit anything to this to begin with, so I'm thrilled to see that I'm so welcome. This isn't just the first CGchallenge I joined in on. It's the first art contest ever, it's really freaking me out D:

Anyway, as to the picture... I'm off and on regarding the mask. I really can't decide. I've done a few more character sketches of her, and the mask has a niftiness factor, as well as the fact that I like the thought of nature hiding behind a mask... However, and this is actually a big issue, emotion isn't so easy to show when the eyes are under a shadow. Maybe that'll be a new challenge for me. Get her attitude and feeling across without showing the gaze.

I did a sketch, now. The colour scheme is a little bit more greenish and colder than I want it to be in the end, but this is pretty much it. I've got the human girl's pose down exactly like I want it, it's the other lady I -really- need to work on. However, I suppose the line art sketch would have to be next - that'll be an obstacle in itself. I HATE line art. I am awful when painting without colours, sigh. It's so uninspiring. I can't remember when I last sketched without colour.

The nature spirit's dress will be... patterned with flowers and birds that become 'real' here and there, so they'll be surrounded by blossoms and butterflies and such cute things, all of which seem to rot and fall apart where they touch the human. The human's submissiveness is very deceptive. That's the whole point :}

Oh well, onto more thinking....

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

03 March 2005
Concept Sketch: Concept/Colour sketch

Heheh, and you guys have SO jinxed me, I'm sure. I'll never manage to finish this competition, I just know it <3

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Last edited by Enayla : 03 March 2005 at 11:20 PM.

03 March 2005
Concept Sketch: Colour Scheme

Drat, I'm not liking the fact that it updates the way it does -___- does anyone know if there's a way to delete submitted sketches and milestones? I've messed this up a little. Ah well.

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

Last edited by Enayla : 03 March 2005 at 11:24 PM.

03 March 2005
I don't think the line art stage has to be line art, Linda. I'm sure a basic underpainting or value study would be OK, as long as it's the first stage in your final piece. ( At least, I hope that's the case - I'm not comfortable with lines either! )

Looks great. Very interesting to see some of your process and read your thoughts on this...

03 March 2005
Beautiful already.a dream in the making me thinks.

03 March 2005
Linda, dont stress out, just do what you do best and im sure the end result will be fantastic, as always. Im sure that after this challenge we will see you in many more. Its almost an addiction and im sure most of the guys here would agree in that in doing these challenges, even if you dont make it through or youre not necessarily happy with what youve created. Youve still met some great people and learnt more and improved your skills along the way. Its a win, win situation even if you dont see a prize at the end. Although dont get me wrong the prize would be sweet. Keep it up.

"There is no one way to greatness, Greatness is the way"

03 March 2005
This last sketch you just did (im talking to you Linda) would blow away my final piece. I don't think there's point in me participating now . I'm serious, it's making me sad.

03 March 2005
Well the point of the milestones is to show that youíre active. So as long as you have something under line are concept sketch then its ok. Also I donít believe you have to submit them in any particular order.

Pongball donít worry too much. The heart of challenge is to push the artist beyond their current skill level not to pit them agents each other. So go ahead and participate because we are being given a unique opportunity to have all of these talented artistes ready at hand to give constructive criticism and help us out. It is an opportunity to learn and expand our talents. Alright I think I went over the top with the touchy feely mumbo-jumbo.

03 March 2005
Don't worry, you don't have to force yourself to use line art. it isn't really required. Just call your beginning paint strokes your lineart. Daryl Mandrake doesn't use line art and he won the past two challenges.

About you being worried about this being your first contest... You have nothing to worry about. You have all of the rest of us quivering in fear.

Excellent start to what I know will be an amazing piece. I guess you'll have to rely more on mouth and body language to convey the non-human character's emotions? Maybe you could do it through the treatment of her hair, and perhaps the colors? Just a thought.

03 March 2005
I humbly bow down to you. I'm not worthy.

"When you see it, see it all right away. when you begin to think, you miss it."
I believe Dogo was looking at a work like yours when he said this.

03 March 2005
Linda..... I hope you have room for some prizes in your front room! I'm not in the competition to win it at all, I just wanted to be in it for the community spirit and hopefully to learn something from it and I definitely am, I can look at everyone elses' threads and see how they work. Your work has caught my attention from the beginning so I am happy to be able to see how you think & the way in which you go about things. It's always fun learning from people who've been there, done that.
Good luck to you!
If you have any time, feel free to swing around my thread and give me tips

03 March 2005
Talking

Great first step. Looking forward to this with excitement and hope you have the same fun like i do.
Best luck and enjoy the trip, rock em all!

03 March 2005
I think yo have yourself a wonderful concept, and I can't wait too see more. This is my first ever art contest too. I never got to explore any art as a kid.

Originally Posted by Enayla: Anyway, as to the picture... I'm off and on regarding the mask. I really can't decide. I've done a few more character sketches of her, and the mask has a niftiness factor, as well as the fact that I like the thought of nature hiding behind a mask... However, and this is actually a big issue, emotion isn't so easy to show when the eyes are under a shadow. Maybe that'll be a new challenge for me. Get her attitude and feeling across without showing the gaze.

I just had an idea about this. I remember one of my teachers made us go through a series of painting to find all the emotions of the painting and explain how we could tell that those emotions where there. You reminded me of a particular painting where the womans eyes weren't shown, but the way her body was positioned and the scenery(colors mainly) made it pretty easy to see her sadness. I dont know, maybe you can try standing infront of a mirror and just feel what that character is suppose to feel and caputre the position you are in. I suck at color, but you seem to be good at it, im sure someone of your expertise can figure out what to do with the color to bring out the emotion. I'm not really a 2d person (yet), but just making some suggestions.

btw: love the comics on your site

In the year 4016...

Last edited by ace4016 : 03 March 2005 at 02:15 AM.

03 March 2005
so far so good.
I would expect nothing less.
it seems like your hand is doing better or did you teach yourself to paint with your feet?

best of luck
SECRET AGENT
B-Movie

03 March 2005
Originally Posted by Kirt: Linda - Just make sure you submit all your images through the CGNetwork server.

Click here to submit an image

Judges will not view all your images in this thread. They'll look on your challenge entry page.

Linda,
The good news is that you can delete the sketches you've posted to this thread because you're hosting them on your own server. For anything to be judged as a milestone for the contest you need to load it onto the CGNetworks server. Click the link Kirt provided above or click the "Submit Entry" link out front.

Don't worry about missteps, either. You can enter multiple images as milestones, you can change your concept midway through. Relax, take your time and let ideas percolate in your mind. Most of all, have fun. Believe me when I say you'll lots of people pulling for you.

Thread Closed share thread