Master and Servant 2D Entry: Linda Bergkvist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
have fun linda and goOd luck

03 March 2005
Aw, thanks guys :}

I'm thinking:

colour scheme:

Very temporary. Very subject to change.

possible mask design:

(nevermind crappy photo, I designed the mask itself a few months back, I love the curve to it. Sort of owlish but lacking the feathers, and at the same time graceful and noble, if you will. It might work if I decide to go with a mask for one of the characters. I'll take more reference photos of it.

character sketch:

turned out a little murky, I'll have to spice the colours up. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm liking the concept of the mask. I had an initial idea of hair like a waterfall, but I don't think I want to bring strong blue into the image. Maybe dark, frothy hair, in that case, like a rivulet bouncing down a mountain late at night. We'll see.

On another note, I never do line drawings... that in itself will be a challenge. How am I supposed to be able to sketch without colours? :/ They're the first thing I'm thinking about when I do a painting.

03 March 2005
wow! you are my favourite artist ,and I'm happy to follow you progress,it will be the greatest lesson for me , please update frequently!!

03 March 2005
Welcolme, and good luck!

Can't wait to see some stuff!

Mack

03 March 2005
Thumbs up

Ah yes... u should enter the challenge a day or two before deadline, so that we mortals would have still the will to finish our pieces..
But! Be prepared, coz i have a book of urs (d'artiste) and now i know all the secrets.. bwahaha... oh, poor me

Its a joke I wish u all the best and cant wait to see ur final masterpiece! Im really looking for any of ur submissions so post regularely please.

DW V 2d

03 March 2005
the ambiant of your first shetch is good, i wait the next

03 March 2005
The concept:

Mankind's relationship with nature itself - that of the world being slave to humanity's needs, and humanity being subject to nature's whims. One cannot have either without the other and while humans have a tendency of looking and using all things as if they were created for them, and them alone, there are always repercussions to such arrogant assumptions.

Nature will be represented by a fey, graceful, beautiful creature with skin of spun silk and garments of leaves and branches and sunlight. Her/his face will have that elf-like beauty that seems almost surreal, warm and cold all at once. I'm considering covering the upper part of the face with a royal-looking type of mask, adding to the ethereal appearance of the character, and the hair (which is likely to be water-like) will be adorned with long stems of flowers reaching up towards the sky. S/he is to look kind and vicious all at once, however I am to pull that off. An expression in the eyes that will be difficult to judge as either complacent or dominant.

Humanity will be represented by a younger boy or girl, perhaps early or mid teens, freckled and fresh looking, with an impetuous, almost childish expression and demeanour. Though I am considering to make the human kneel before nature, there will be a look in the eyes that speaks of an urge to conquer and own and devour.

Around them, I'm thinking an environment beaten down by the battle and story of surrender-dominance between humanity and nature kind. While the nature spirit will look fresh and strong and warm, the nature surrounding it will be rotting and dying - giving a hint of the end result of this battle.

This is the concept thus far. The idea is so strong in my head it's jumping and bouncing and leaping - I just can't wait to get to it. I have to sit down and continue writing on my book now though, so I'll try not to post more updates until tomorrow at the earliest, perhaps with a couple of quick character sketches, or perhaps just with more thoughts on the subject itself.

03 March 2005
wow got it all planned already.

good luck!

03 March 2005
wow, this one's going to be awesome! *subscribes to the thread*
is it the first challenge you enter?
I'm already learning... making a colour scheme looks like a very good idea!

03 March 2005
and the winner is...

ps.: good luck Linda!!!

03 March 2005
Aw, thank you I'm so excited about this! It's going to be so much fun.

And, yeah, it's the first challenge I enter. None of the previous topics have been my 'thing' (Space Operas and Machine Flesh, not really my kind of fun), but this one is really right up my alley. Character based and giving me room to work a little story into it.

Oh - making a colour scheme, even if it's only temporary, is really inspiring I think. Colours have a lot to say about emotions and theme, and I sometimes come up with ideas from just looking at the colours I picked. (In this case, for example, I have now realised that I will emphasise how deadly nature is to man, and man to nature, because I took a look at the red blotch in the colour scheme and thought it would be very fitting).

I don't always do it and sometimes I change it around wildly at the last minute, but they tend to help me a lot :]

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

03 March 2005
I didn┤t know that you are soooo fast. Crazy!

03 March 2005
Im really looking forward to seeing more, the story youre telling sounds so great already and i think that will be a huge benefit in getting your creativity flowing. Im still worried about commiting to something too early but with the time frame we have to work to its best to get something worked out asap and just do it. good stuff.

"There is no one way to greatness, Greatness is the way"

03 March 2005
Linda, i haven't spoken to you in like 2 years...on your baords...

But i always said you are a creative force to be reckoned with...

Best of luck...

03 March 2005
Oh my lord. Is this the infamous Enayla i've been told about? Your work is perfect though? That's not fair for competitors like me, im just a noob .

I've seen your work. Someone told me you're unreal. I believed them after seeing your work. Good luck!

Thread Closed share thread