Master and Servant 2D Entry: Matt Dixon

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
Concept Sketch: Scribble 04 - getting there

This one I'm happier with. At least the servant is the size I was looking for. 'The Machine' is digging one of it's hands into the earth - a clumsy attempt to highlight the environmental damage caused by industry. Still not sure if I'm getting as good a sense of scale as I could, though.

03 March 2005
OooooOoooH!! AaaAAaaaaaaH!! Lovvvvvely!!

The contrast in the dark smoky textures of the Bot... and the little shining light of the kid is just great.

And the extra detail really adds scale...

03 March 2005
D:

I like this a LOT. It has such a wonderful storytelling quality to it. You given the colour scheme any thought? (sorry, I'm just really curious)

D'artiste

Painting eyes
Painting hair

03 March 2005
Oooh another update! I was just composing a message and you've kind of done what I was going to say anyway... duh! So much depth and imposingness... ness...

03 March 2005
WOW, Matt!!! Impresive start. Nice concept.

03 March 2005
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Linda - Very, very, very muted, I think. I'm thinking about a very narrow palette of browns and grey, maybe bringing in a little bit of green here and there, and offset that with some bright patches in the sky. That scheme should take a few saturated accents from lights in the 'city' quite nicely. Of course, the area around the child will be bright and colourful and all optimistic and that. Once I'm happier with the perspective on the factories, I'll do a few colour roughs and see how it pans out.

Posh - Thanks, but I'm not convinced the factories really work at the moment. They're all arranged in a single plane. Need to break it up some more.

Ravioli - Good suggestion, but I'm having enough trouble getting the composition right with one bot, so I'll pretend I didn't read it.

03 March 2005
impressive ! your idea and composition is top !!

03 March 2005
Outstanding..........a picture tells a 5 novel series!

Mouth open adds a lot as well.............very well concieved

Paul

03 March 2005
I love this idea. Really really good.

03 March 2005
Oh!Oh! It just keeps getting better! This is going to be good. Very good!

03 March 2005
I love the iconistic nature of this piece and how literal you are trying to be with the humanity/industry theme.

I think to further highlight the damage being done you could border the beast on the left and right just a little bit with some healthier looking something, sky, trees, whatever, and then have the top of the image devoted more to the smog and detritus being strewn by the back of the beast.

It would diminish it a bit in your composition but then you could also use that space to frame it a bit more.

Just a thought.

-L

03 March 2005
cool, matt, very cool. You're not gonna keep it in b&w are you? This one just begs for a moody sky and some green below or something.

looking forward to more!

03 March 2005
Now that is cool, not quite sure if the sense of scale is really coming over yet, but think you should be able to get working.

really like it

03 March 2005
damn right its getting there,i'm jelous!

03 March 2005
impresive work already many cant wait to see the finish love the scales ur working with

Thread Closed share thread