CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVII - Master and Servant - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #31
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

Freefall Alpha-
I am still working on making the area below area 51. The space alien was locked in area 51. He mind controlled the dog to free himself, then made the dog fly the Stealth Fighter to bomb area 51 in an attempt to free other space aliens in the confusion. The alien plans to free other aliens. But the dog's master took off in the Phantom after the dog. So the alien secretly snuck
behind the pilot to get near the dog and control them. These are fields arround area 51, but I
am now adding airstrips and centrallizing the area 51. I will add radar domes and more obvious
hangars.
As for more dynamic lighting, I am going to work on the sky and add some clouds but I am keeping a sort of hazy effect. I was planning to have some blue sky breaking in the clouds.
So maybe I can make it more dynamic in places, good idea, thanks.

Last edited by userBrian : 05-11-2005 at 10:57 PM.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:27 AM   #32
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

Coloring WIP: sky clouds

Adding blue sky and clouds.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:32 AM   #33
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

I've added some blue sky and clouds. And a radar dome at the bottom. I took some photos of the two fighter jet models i have which I used for feference. I'll get the photos developed tomorrow. I think the sky is improving.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:51 AM   #34
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

Concept Sketch: concept sketch-model photo

Setup idea.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:02 AM   #35
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

These are the models I used. I bought them just for this challenge! I made the Phantom model from a 1/72 scale kit. The Stealth Fighter is a metal toy. The wheels are not to scale. The toy actually winds up and runs, the two buttons on top are for flashing red lights in the cockpit, a jet sound, and a machinegun sound. Serious work here! I just took these photos today. But I used these models to get this initial setup angle. I just held the models about two inches from my face! When I decided what looked dynamic enough, I held one at a time with my left hand and drew on my Wacom tablet with the other. All of the artwork is being done directly on the Wacom tablet. Even the line art. I didn't want to just copy an airforce photo, after all, this is a challenge! Planes like these are a new subject for me too. Another challenge! And lots of fun.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:33 AM   #36
ace4016
Mr. Snoopy

portfolio
James Marcelin
Electrical Engineer/Hobbyist
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to ace4016 Send a message via MSN to ace4016 Send a message via Yahoo to ace4016
lol, "refrences." Right! Myabe the clouds could be thinner and spread out across the sky . Keep it up.

In the year 4016...

Old 05-13-2005, 05:45 AM   #37
Arc80

Interesting idea dude and i like the humor add on to it. Critzs, you need to bump up the contrast of your overall piece. That stealth plane should have the darkest value and a bit bigger than the other plane since it is on the foreground. You also need to make your highlights just a tad bit sharp. Give the ground level a nice hazy effect to push it back and give depth to your piece. If i spot something else, i'll let you know. Other than that, nice work and keep it coming (5 days left).

cheers

Old 05-13-2005, 05:46 AM   #38
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

ace4016-

Yes, I may add more blue sky. I'll try thinning some clouds. Just got an Idea, maybe some sun shining brightly off the jets.... Gotta push the edge of my envelope. I gotta move away from my dull hazy concept. This is my challenge, to really heave it over. Can I?

Old 05-13-2005, 05:56 AM   #39
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

Arc80-

Thanks for the great advice! I was just typing as you posted it. Right! Now I see exactly what you mean by the Black plane should be larger cuz it's in front! Suddenly the Phantom looks too big! Ha, this is what makes these crits so important to developing ones skills. And exactly right on with what you said about the Stealth Fighter being darker! And the background hazyer!
Feel I got somewhere to go now, thanks! Back to my Phantom layers in Photoshop, where i'll just shrink them a bit...I now see how that looks better in the photo too, where I placed the Phantom slightly behind the Stealth, and it makes sense.

Last edited by userBrian : 05-13-2005 at 06:01 AM.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #40
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

Quote:
ace4016 lol, "refrences." Right!

ARGGhh!- They ARE references! lol.

This idea actually came about when I did a three track test recording,
Track 1- My Warwick bass electric guital roaring into the red became the ship's
engines.
Track 2- My Warlock B.C.Rich metal lead guitar riff.
Track 3- My voice cutting in atmospherically and instructing the other plane with
commands to land.

I might include the short wave file...
Just thought it might be interesting to show how this idea came about, actually!

Old 05-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #41
Rudeone
digital boy

portfolio
Rudy-Jan Faber
concept artist/illustrator
www.rudyfaber.com
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to Rudeone
LOL, very funny concept man! hope you get this finished in time

Old 05-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #42
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

Rudeone-

Thanks.

Last edited by userBrian : 05-14-2005 at 06:03 AM.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:22 PM   #43
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

Arc80-
Actually I don't know if I want to make the top plane smaller because this is supposed to represent a near collision. The photo reference was taken later just to put in this thread, I just drew directly from the models to make the art. And if I make the top plane smaller, then the characters will be smaller too, and I don't think I want that. Now about increasing the contrast, that i think I will try tonight. Maybe I should make the alien's eyes glow? I'm not really going for a Hollywood poster look, or to make it too funny. I like a more complicated level of feeling. Maybe even the fog of war. Like in the movie "The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy". Probably Hollywood added some moronic obvious wanna-be -funny appeal for the lowest level kids and nuts. I don't care to go there, but maybe I should, make it super sparkly and simple and contrasty etc. On the other hand I don't wanna look too flat either. So i'll see what I can do tonight. Oh yeah- the movie is great, and I just finished the book too.

Last edited by userBrian : 05-15-2005 at 09:30 AM.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:07 PM   #44
Arc80

Wow, so you took a couple of film classes and got to direct on one of them. That's awesome dude. I only took screenwriting and creative writing in terms of Motion Picture. MOst of my classes where 2D animations and i was also focusing on Concept Design. So from their, i picked up Cinematography and editing. I did a lot of storyboarding too and got to do some group projects. So my route in film is a bit different from yours, but i definately think we'll see each other there. But for now, i'm doing 2D films and later on when i get more experience, i'll jump into Live action.

Keep painting and will be back to see more of your piece. I don't have to tell you to hurry, since you know what it's like to have deadline especially coming for AAU. Remember Midterms and Finals... Oy No sleep for days...

cheers dude.

btw, i used to sit on Barbara Bradley's class for free and she didn't mind, hehehe.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #45
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

Coloring WIP: contrast increase

Working on contrast

Thread Closed share thread