CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVII - Master and Servant - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-22-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
joshcaez
Veteran

portfolio
Joshua Caez
Matte Painter
PDI/Dreamworks
San Carlos, USA

Master and Servant 2D Entry: Joshua Caez

Joshua Caez has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Farewell To Kong

Well I took a couple of days off and revisited the painting, knowing that I would find something that bothered me... Sure enough I fixed a couple of things, but nothing noticeble. At this point I think I should call it done!

I'm so glad that I had the chance to participate in one of these challenges. It's been a lot of fun, and I would like to thank those that helped me during the process plus all the positive feedback that kept me pumped to continue painting.

Thanks again and good luck to all of you. Can't wait for the next challenge!

Cheers!

Old 03-28-2005, 02:13 AM   #2
joshcaez
Veteran

portfolio
Joshua Caez
Matte Painter
PDI/Dreamworks
San Carlos, USA

Concept Sketch: kong

Here are some quick sketches I've done of gorillas before I start to sketch King Kong.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:18 AM   #3
cuppacam
Know-it-All

portfolio
Cameron Dutton
Graphic Designer
Kapital
Brisbane, Australia

Nice sketches. Good luck

-- Groucho Marx --

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221872

Old 03-28-2005, 02:28 AM   #4
joshcaez
Veteran

portfolio
Joshua Caez
Matte Painter
PDI/Dreamworks
San Carlos, USA

Here's a quick sketch of kong and a basic value range of the city which is now just a blur. I need to sketch a pose for the girl (Ann). I think I want a sad expression on Kong's face, kinda like a farewell to Ann.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:37 AM   #5
joshcaez
Veteran

portfolio
Joshua Caez
Matte Painter
PDI/Dreamworks
San Carlos, USA

I placed the girl on Kong's hand, I'll have to play with the scale on both of them. It'll probably end up being different from the original, I'll just say it's artistic license:) Crits would be awesome, thanks!

Old 03-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
paulwdavidson
Kraken art

portfolio
Paul Davidson
Concept Illustrator/ comic book artist
Video games/ Comic books
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom

Excellent idea from a classic scenario. Personally, i'd like to see a portrait layout, rather than the the landscape tlayout format you have at the moment. It might create a lot of dead space over to the right. If you did it portrait, you could have Kong leaning over her, dominating the upper half of your shot, creating a lot of scale, and it would look very clostraphobic for the girl.

Just a thought.

Look forward to seeing this develop,

Paul

Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
BaronImpossible
Dr Ass-hat-on

portfolio
Simon Dominic
Illustrator
United Kingdom

I like your sketches. The fact that you're painting an ape is a bonus Paul is right, you would do better to make your canvas portrait so you can really get the size difference working. One idea would be to fill the lower 2/3 with the woman and the hand, then have Kong's face towering above them (very difficult perspective-wise, but just an idea)

Old 03-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
joshcaez
Veteran

portfolio
Joshua Caez
Matte Painter
PDI/Dreamworks
San Carlos, USA

Smile

Wow those are awesome ideas.... I guess the reason I designed the image this way is because I'm trying to get an emotion out of Kong that's not dominating or agressive. Maybe he's showing affection for the girl or he's sad because he's letting her go. The girl at this point in the story is not afraid of him, she perhaps becomes the dominating figure in the image.... In the city I'll have people on rooftops and probably some planes flying in the background, for I think that's mandatory for any King Kong illustration But I'm liking the idea of Kong towering over her in a portrait canvas as well. That seems really dynamic, I'll probably do some sketches of that as well. Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
joshcaez
Veteran

portfolio
Joshua Caez
Matte Painter
PDI/Dreamworks
San Carlos, USA

Line Art: kong

Here's a quick line drawing of Kong and the girl within the city. I'm gonna draw other versions of the city. I'll have lots of people on the rooftops of the buildings looking up at them. The expression on Kong's face is kind of the one I want, I'll have to work on it. And I want the girl to seem comfortable with him.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:43 AM   #10
joshcaez
Veteran

portfolio
Joshua Caez
Matte Painter
PDI/Dreamworks
San Carlos, USA

Coloring WIP: kong

Hi everyone, here's Kong and Ann rendered to a certain extent, but I need to continue on with the design of the city.... I get carried away with detail too soon:) With the city I'm trying to keep the lighter area around her, and have all the values in the buildings lighter to mantain the focus on her. I'm wanting to keep the painting in black and white for I think it fits the time period. I'll be doing a lot of research on architecture, and I'll try to submit a couple of different versions of the city soon, I hope...

With Kong I'm trying to have a certain expression, one that shows that he is not wanting to harm her, and that she isn't afraid of him. This being after all the running around and climbing buidings with her being in terror. Maybe this is a farewell before a situation that might bring harm to Ann. In the city I'm going to have people staring at them, and the faded background you can see planes flying towards them. I just need to start painting all this stuff that I'm talking about.... C&C's would be awesome. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
paulwdavidson
Kraken art

portfolio
Paul Davidson
Concept Illustrator/ comic book artist
Video games/ Comic books
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom

Fantastic rendering on Kong. You've been keeping yourself quiet.....then BOOM! you throw this in. Very nice.

Paul

ps nice idea to keep it black and white.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 AM   #12
Squibbit
Dude

Panu Uomala
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to Squibbit

yea looks real nice dude

Old 04-15-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
MDN67
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Laurent Mordin
gueret, France

the painting of kong is a great piece of art, very good work

Old 04-16-2005, 04:51 PM   #14
joshcaez
Veteran

portfolio
Joshua Caez
Matte Painter
PDI/Dreamworks
San Carlos, USA

Smile

Thanks for all the comments! Yeah it's tough for me to stop working on something once I get going with it. Kong was a lot of fun to paint, but now comes the challenge of painting the city.... I'll try to post more often as I work on the city, I think by tommorow I can show the different ideas I have for it. I'm wanting to keep that intimate feeling of Kong and Ann allthough there in the middle of New York City and there's a ton of people watching them...

Thanks Paul for supporting the idea of keeping the image in black and white[img]images/icons/icon7.gif[/img]. I've never done a digital painting in grayscale, it reminds me of good ol' graphite pencils.

Good luck to all you guys!

Old 04-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #15
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
South Africa

now thats what i call a gorilla!!

noice!

Thread Closed share thread