CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVII - Master and Servant - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #16
Vectorius
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alexandre Fiolka
infographiste
SkyMonkey
Lille, France

Send a message via MSN to Vectorius
it's a good idea..nice sktech..maybe you should put a more animals or fantastik eye for octopus ...to create a drama feeling....i'll come back see colors and lights

Keep it up

Old 04-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #17
SavageCreature
Detailaholic

portfolio
clint thorne
CG Artist
San Francisco, USA

Sorry for the long period between updates. Work has been . . busy. We've been working six-day weeks for a while now, so I haven't had as much time to dedicated to this as I would have liked.

First, thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement. It really keeps me motivated to keep at it. Calisto, you've changed your avatar three times since this challenge started, and every time you do it freaks me out. : )

About the creature's eye; I intentionally made it very human looking because the only element of the image that I have to portray a relationship between the woman and the creature is the creature's eye. If I give it a completely alien, cold, monstrous eye it will entirely change the nature of how the woman and the creature feel about each other, I think. I want the relationship to be a voluntary one, maybe even an affectionate one, and I thought by giving the creature a more human-like eye it would appear to have more intelligence and feeling. I'm trying to create the contrast between a huge, hideous beast and a delicate, beautiful woman, but through their eyes create an emotional and intellectual bond between them

I've been working diligently with every spare minute and I'll have more work to display in the next day or so

c

Old 04-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #18
Neozoom
Tyler Durden
Vincent Verniers
Art Student
PARIS, France

Send a message via MSN to Neozoom
Arg! a bit gory man^^ disgusting hehe^^

but I like concept , but hurry up , rest only 3 weeks until end...

My Journey Begins Challenge Thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=328222

Old 04-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #19
cyberarts

Thumbs up Great!

I like your drawing style. I know that you are not satisfy with the hand. and for most of us, it always a puzzle, just to get it right. I'm sure that you will get over it. =0)

Great job so far and i can't wait to see the final result...

Old 04-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #20
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Send a message via AIM to CoreyArtE

Sweet sketch! maybe add more emotion to the girls face? Anyway looking really good so far!

Old 04-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #21
Robert Longfield
Veteran

Robert Longfield
Freelance
Robert Longfield Graphic Design www.rlongfield.com
CHICAGO, USA

re

Nice concept! The only thing I see with the hands is her first fingure needs to be a bit longer.(on her right hand).

I cant wait to see it getting coloured.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM   #22
SavageCreature
Detailaholic

portfolio
clint thorne
CG Artist
San Francisco, USA

Concept Sketch: concept two

Well, as I had mentioned before, when I posted the final version of concept one there was another tenticled beast right next to it. In addition, the idea that had inspired me in the first place was of a creature much more "whale-like", I just like to draw tenticles, so I gave the other idea a try. Not wanting my entry to be too similar to someone else's and in an attempt to move back in the direction I originally envisioned, I came up with this. The creature is based on one of my original scribble sketches. I think the composition is much more interesting, I like the way the woman's body language describes the relationship between her and the leviathan, and the image has a sense of motion and energy, so I'll see where this one leads.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #23
SavageCreature
Detailaholic

portfolio
clint thorne
CG Artist
San Francisco, USA

Concept Sketch: concept two (continued)

So, I started out with a very complex and detailed surface texture, but found that having so many lines evenly distributed accross the surface of the leviathan's skin gave it a very flat, two dimensional look, which I was not at all happy with. After a bit of consideration, I decided that it's skin texture needed more, larger, masses and less (but not too much less) small detail.

Last edited by SavageCreature : 04-25-2005 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-25-2005, 07:51 PM   #24
liiga
Frequenter

portfolio
Liiga Smilshkalne
Riga, Latvia

I think this new concept is better. It really speaks volumes about their relationship.

One thing though, the woman's body looks stiff from waist down. The way I look at it, I'm seeing the leviathan swimming carefully with the woman reclining on its head/neck, but when I look at how her body is curved, I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is what you meant. She kinda looks like she's falling off. :\

Old 04-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #25
SavageCreature
Detailaholic

portfolio
clint thorne
CG Artist
San Francisco, USA

I've refined some of the surface volumes on the head and I'm much happier with it. I think it looks much less flat, and I feel like the teeth and eye aren't as lost in the clutter.

Thank you very much for the input, Liiga. I'll bend her at the torso some and see if it flows better. Adding some shading to the woman's body might also help, when I get there ;) I had seen them as only in contact with each other at the woman's shoulders, with her body trailing a bit to the right as the leviathan changes direction, turning the left.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #26
SavageCreature
Detailaholic

portfolio
clint thorne
CG Artist
San Francisco, USA

As I was working in more of the detail, from somewhere in my demented brain came the idea of giving him gills like the "mudpuppies" I used to catch as a kid. I put them in there, and for a while, I actually liked how it was working, but all of a sudden I realized it was a horrible idea and completely contrary to the contrast I was trying to develop in the image, so I'm pretty sure they'll be gone in the next version. I am, however, happy with how his dorsal fin is working.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:47 PM   #27
SavageCreature
Detailaholic

portfolio
clint thorne
CG Artist
San Francisco, USA

Ok. Not much of a change, but I ditched the external gills and wanted a version up without them. I want to find some way to bring up the dorsal fin so it's a little more visible. Maybe when I get it drawn in on the tail it'll stand out more in general. Think I'll put in a couple of rows of larger scales on either side of the dorsal fin, too, to exemplify the perspective a little more and make the leviathan look like it stretches into the distance more.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #28
AlyFell
Steamgoth

portfolio
Aly Fell
Concept Artist/Illustrator
Manchester, United Kingdom

What gorgeous pencil work Clint! How are you going to go about colouring?

Old 04-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #29
komaroml
Hobbyist
Laszlo Komaromi
Technical artist
Sanofi-Aventis
Budapest, Hungary

Very detailed texture. I prefer the first concept. Maybe a stressed octo eyes give more power but it is my opinion...Waiting for coloring...

Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #30
calisto-lynn
mad scientist's assistant

portfolio
Linda Luksic Sejic
colorist, ilustrtation artist, comic artist
nebezial d.o.o
Crikvenica, Croatia

Send a message via MSN to calisto-lynn
Talking

this is a much better pose, it looks so great!

Thread Closed share thread