Master and Servant 2D Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
Really funny, original concept you have going here, cant wait to see the actual piece started

03 March 2005
Really like the reworked composition! can't wait to see how you handle the lighting with this image... it's gonna be awesome! Great work!!!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

03 March 2005
Smile

looks pretty interesting, GoodLux!!

TorA

DECIDE!!

03 March 2005
Smile nice

looks pretty interesting, GoodLux!!

TorA

DECIDE!!

03 March 2005
s for the inse

Originally Posted by walrus: Black - I dunno, I'm pat of that camp that never thought he went out. My circle of friends have been joking about him for years! So I guess I hadn't noticed a recent resurgence, as he's always been part of my visual vocabulary. (Tangent: You know who you get when you call 1-800-cthulhu? Last time i checked it was American Express. We asked for the boss, but thatnkfully he wasn't in.) Thanks for the link to the other Cthulhu thread! Some interesting discussion going on there. Don't know if I agree with using insects like praying mantisses, or cats talons as a reference, but of course it's open to interpretation. I always picture something more aquatic. Webbed fingers, and cepalopods as facial reference. I've been Google-image-searching for "cuttlefish" this week! Anyhow, thanks for tuning in.

Got all day to draw today, so hopefully more progress soon...

-mike

I had so figured such.. I mean that you are of the LoveCraft Campers.. or at least the old ones.. very neat catches all through out.
As for the insect wings bit.. to my opinion.. the model he has created has nothing to do with what I would picture Cthulhu to look like. But none the less years have passed with alot of interpretations by many artists. My job is to help them achieve THEIR vision if I can. Not to enforce my vision on them (My version that I had done for a book illustration was posted on that thread... I could always provide a link.. but this is your show)
Do you still need a cuttlefish ref? I should have a footage on video. If you still have a need I can ask my wife to go through them.

As for your sketches. (Again great works) I would go for the last one for basically the general posture.
You know the way the eye is sort of used to reading from left to right. So on the other images we almost don't see the character.. but sort of see through him.. without reading. When you mirrored him to the right side he had more a stand.. sort of like a 'fullstop' Does this make any sence?
I also liked your new versions so where he towers more because of looking from more below. I had personally preffered the desk top to be seen. but you have managed a very cool work around it(Though the screen looks a bit off the desk).. so I really don't know. I think the last one really takes the spotlight. Theonly thing I would dare coment on would be the pants. sort of like a butlers pair of trousers.. and the tall stand.. do you get what I mean? It sort of gives the cold disciplined English Buttler era.

Your works are going TOO good.. As much as this is suppose to annoy me. I can't wait for your next updates.

Black

03 March 2005
I feel I should drop out.

My favorite of any post yet(even mine). I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board. Your concept is great. If only poor Bob had used his "spell" checker.

03 March 2005
very good sketch, i hope you choice the last, and i wait the line art, good work

03 March 2005
Talking

Wow....Looks just like a boss I use to have...lol

03 March 2005
Good work dude. I like the humorus style and content to it. The composition is fine.
I would like to see how you are going to light this piece.

Goodluck dude

03 March 2005
Cool drawing I like it alote,

Master & Servant

my site

03 March 2005
love that style.. i dont know if those trunks are working for me.. id like something more angry.

MachineFlesh entry: No Strings Attached

03 March 2005
Hey, all! Thanks for the comments! Glad to hear folks are liking the last one. I am too: I printed out all of the previous ones on a sheet and seeing them all together helped me figure out what wasn't exactly working about them. I still want to do a lot of tweaking, but I think I'm on my way!

Black - "A Lovecraft Camper," huh? First time I've ever been called that, either... i like it! I did get to see your book illustration in the other thread that you'd linked to. I like it, nice work! Thanks for the offer of the cuttlefish reference but I'm okay with out it. I did find a lot on Google image search. I think you have a good point about the orientation of the image. As i work I tend to flip things back and forth to make sure things are working both ways. (I highly recommend that everyone do this with their images! Even in non-digital media: In my water color class we have a mirro just for looking at our pieces in. You can catch a lot of weirdness in an image by looking at it like that!)

As for the pants, you're right, they do look sort of "butlery." I's the fact that the knees are locked and I drew stripes on them. They won't be in the final line art but I was thinking about a dark charcoal grey suit with lighter pinstripes.

Archmago - Thanks so much! Don't give up, though, keep plugging away at it, you have plenty of time! And I wish there were some way to incorporate the spell-checker line in this piece, but I haven't come up with a way quite yet...

Ken and Arc80 - It's not going to have as creepy lighting as you would expect from your "typical" Cthulhu piece, as I'm shooting for the mundaneness of the office setting. The ceiling will have lots of flourescent lights so there will be a harsh neutral light from the top and a lot of shadows on the bottom. I'm planning on a blueish underlighting from the monitor, which should add a nice, eerie tint, but i haven't decided whether that should be on the lower left or right and will flip the foreground elements - the printer and screen - as is appropriate... heh, but noone really cares to read my expostulating on this junk, you all want to see color pictures, right? I'll get on that...! :-)

More later, thanks again all for the posts!

-mike

03 March 2005
Ahhh.... then maybe you're leaning towards those drab / flat / overbright Green hazed Matrix (original) office scenes in regards to lighting?

I always loved the mood set in those sequences...

Can't wait!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

03 March 2005
Well the idea is sure original, I like the "boss"/master. Good luck...

03 March 2005
loving the concept...great line work....and dramatic view of charaters..will lookk really nice when colour is applied

Thread Closed share thread