Master and Servant 2D Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2005   #46
Good luck Walrus!
Cant really give out any advices yet, but if you want to achieve better artwork than the guy next to you. Always compare two pictures at the same time.. If you end up looking at other guys sketch more. Improve yours!

When you cant remove your eyes from your own artwork even if everybodys work is next to yours. Yours will be the best!

I'll be doing lots of those posedowns. Seya!

Old 03 March 2005   #47
I prefer sketch #1 because he looks less human. As far as the boss' clothes, what if he wore ceremonial robes? Kind of like he was in the middle of a big incantation with important clients. The spell went horribly wrong and they might lose this account because the intern gave him chicken blood instead of goat's blood.

I'm gonna have weird dreams because of this thread. I just know it. . .

Old 03 March 2005   #48
Woow great entry and idea...

What is it lately? LoveCraft is back in the game (To some of us, he was never out!)? Ten years ago, no one had heard his name.. and now a version on every forum

I JUST had a confersation with a member from another forum on how we could interpret the anatomy of Cthulhu. Not to really say that there has been a better variation, but incase you would like to read through a process of another individual working on Cthulhu HERE's the thread.

As for your 'so-far' sketches... I would have to admit that I loved the character on the right of the last sketch. But the one on the left leaves more options for an impressive composition. It seems like the plumped character would sort of demand you to build up an aditional environment to fit him into.

Your idea is screaming 'Original' and your sketches so far are very promising. I would love to see the furthered developments!

Black

Old 03 March 2005   #49
Looking good walrus! Ur sketches r really great so I expect at least a few more of them But be careful, Im geting a feeling of a very similar main character as in ur GSO (tentacles and position) so I hope u'll manage to change that later... With position of a character, color scheme or something.. but hey, I know u r a great artist, so I dont any doubts about it! Waiting for more!

DW V 2d

Old 03 March 2005   #50
Oh my gosh, Blaz, I completely didn't notice that until you pointed it out! You're right, I am inadvertantly repeating myself! What is it about these art challenges that bring out the urge to depict 'fear' and 'intimidation' in my images, where I usually don't in my other art? Is it the themes? Or the fact that I feel 'fear' and 'intimidation' enterring these challenges with so many other good artists around? Anyhow, I can assure you that there will be no repeat of the last challenge's color palette... Hopefully ever! :-)
I was thinking of something very subdued for most of it, conveying the sterility of the modern office, with a strong value contrast between the flourescently-lit cubicles and the very dark imposing figure, with some blue underlighting from the computer screen. Should make it look somewhat different...

Black - I dunno, I'm pat of that camp that never thought he went out. My circle of friends have been joking about him for years! So I guess I hadn't noticed a recent resurgence, as he's always been part of my visual vocabulary. (Tangent: You know who you get when you call 1-800-cthulhu? Last time i checked it was American Express. We asked for the boss, but thatnkfully he wasn't in.) Thanks for the link to the other Cthulhu thread! Some interesting discussion going on there. Don't know if I agree with using insects like praying mantisses, or cats talons as a reference, but of course it's open to interpretation. I always picture something more aquatic. Webbed fingers, and cepalopods as facial reference. I've been Google-image-searching for "cuttlefish" this week! Anyhow, thanks for tuning in.

Got all day to draw today, so hopefully more progress soon...

-mike

Old 03 March 2005   #51
Hey Michael. Good to see you here again. Great work on the GSO entry by the way. Mightily impressed.

This is also off to a fine beginning and I like that it is unique take on the master-servant theme. The squid-boss is beautifully executed, and i think the overarching, menacing pose is far more powerful and threatening. Maybe you could try for some oblique camera angle, with it it placed within cubicle - bob to the side, somewhat splayed, and the boss the centre and focus - standing in the cubicle entrance...don't mind me, i'm just getting excited by the idea and starting to visualise it.

Whatever you chose, I think it'll the right choice - you're a talented guy after all.

-g

::: unit - concept art, illustration & design :::

:: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite ::

Old 03 March 2005   #52
Cool reminds me of the monster from the Call of Cthulhu.

"The TPS report of Cthulhu"

Old 03 March 2005   #53
I actually had a employer-employee concept buried in the back of my head. I'm glad you're tackling it, cause it's loking great! Charming boss character.

Old 03 March 2005   #54
ur latest art is extremly greatastic.

nice character designs.

Old 03 March 2005   #55
Concept Sketch: wage slave - more layout roughs

Well, I may be getting closer. I drew a whole bunch of rough layouts, scanned them in, and then realized that they were pretty much the same exact layout! Doesn't mean it's good, though... I've tried to move the camera down as many of you have suggested (thanks, many of you!) but it's at the expense of seeing all of the cubicle tops. You can still see a couple of officeworkers peeking in, but i may have lost something. Seriously, what do you think?

Teknotek - yeah, I can't believe that I'm somehow the only person in this challenge thus far to play off of the master/servant boss/employee theme... Maybe you all need to get jobs! Or maybe i just need to get a new one! :-D Anyone need a slightly used 2D/3D game artist, 14 yrs. exp but still runs gd, lousy brakes, no AC, comes with stereo?

Noob - I'm pretty sure that's the first time my work has ever been called "greatastic." Thanks!

Back to drawing (or playing Oddworld:Stranger, or something...)

-mike

Old 03 March 2005   #56
'c' i'd say , only i'd change the perspective to look down upon the
employee

maybe 'b' too if there was something like the desk and monitor more
in the view in the front to get better feel of the perspective

Old 03 March 2005   #57
cool stuff man! I'll go for C for the boss , and B for man , and I think you are on the right path, !

Old 03 March 2005   #58
Originally Posted by monsitj: cool stuff man! I'll go for C for the boss , and B for man , and I think you are on the right path, !

Yep, I agree with using those two concepts as well. Looking sharp, Michael.

Old 03 March 2005   #59
Concept Sketch: Wage Slave - yet another layout rough

Well, I went back to drawing after the last post and came up with this one. No sea of cubicles but lots of people peeking in and one of the better senses of claustrophobia i've conveyed yet. The printer at the bottom is spitting out scrolls of arcane symbols, and I even had room for a few candles down there as well. Anyhow, see what you think of this compared to the other 3 (or 4 as the last post before those should count, too!)

-mike

Old 03 March 2005   #60
nice pentagrams!

Thread Closed share thread