Master and Servant 2D Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
yea good work but i'm with ninja and jonny ,needs a boost

03 March 2005
Thanks for the notes, folks! It's really only a first sketch to point the direction of where I want to head, but readible enough that I'm already starting to get some great advice from people... Cool!

Jez - I love the idea of the kind of fish-eye lens on the near-endless field of cubicles. I'm not quite sure how exacly I go about drawing something like that: Basic art class perspective never coverred wonky oints-of-view like that. Hmmm, maybe dra it with traditional perspective and then mess with Photoshop's glass lens distortion filters for a rough layout? Any suggestions, anyone?

and Jonny and the rest of you: Yeah, you're right, I can definately push the camera angle and scale ever furhter than I'm doing. Good ideas, I'll work on that...!

Thanks again for the comments. Hope you all are feeling similarly inspired!

-mike

03 March 2005
Good luck!! Will be watching with great interest!

03 March 2005
Good concept, very funny

03 March 2005
original and fun... like it... the boss looks spot on. love him holdign the coffee. There is a bit in futurama that reminds me of this. cant wait to see where u take it

03 March 2005
Oh, you and your tentacles. . .

Great first sketch. Had you considered a group of "prairie dogging" office mates? Seems to me that if one lackey is being chewed out by the boss, everybody else is peeking over their cubicle walls to find out why.

03 March 2005
Hya F'taghn Cthulu... Hehe. Really love your master of the deep.
Snail

03 March 2005
Concept Sketch: Wage Slave - character studies

Cghristopher - What, you can't tell that those little circles at the tops of the cubicle walls are officemates prairie-dogging? lol! Anyhow, they're there, and I'm ahead of you on that one.

I've been fooling around with the camera angle a lot, but unfortunately, moving the camera down loses the feeling of being surrounded by cubicles. That part of the piece is important as it sets up a context: This office-worker isn't just being terrorized by some random Cthulhu, but by his manager Cthulhu. So i need to keep the cubicles. It may end up that I distort perspective and scale to compensate for not moving the camera lower, we'll see.

In the meantime, just doodling some more character ideas. I dunno, should the boss have a mouth or not? Can't decide. Oh, and I like the sketch on the left much more than the one on the right: He looks more like a manager but less threatening, I just scanned and posted it to show it to folks, but I don't plan on using that design.

More later...

-mike

03 March 2005
really great stuff .. . . keep pushing it!

03 March 2005
These concepts and sketches are looking fab Michael. You look like you are having fun!

03 March 2005
Thumbs up

Hi there Micheal,This is a great idea!!Your sketches are heading the right way and really look nice,althoug maybe they need some more dynamics.Sure be hanging around here,kp them coming!!!Maybe it could be cool to see some other workers scared off by the boss around him,you know watching secrtely from behind their computerscreens.Just n suggestion,Good lcuk and loads of fun 2 U

03 March 2005
More great drawings... keep pushin' it!!

03 March 2005
I love your concept, you have some mighty fine talent there buddy. I really like your concept sketches, the coffee was a nice touch The only crit I have is that the jacket seems rather out of place? Maybe if he was bursting out of a shirt and loose tie instead?
Just an idea!
The tentacles around the mouth are wonderfully dynamic. Keep up the good work!

03 March 2005
Thanks for the notes, all. Yeah, I'll keep pushing it, it's early yet.

Paperclip - I can see how the jacket may be a little weird, but I also think it's an important part of the picture. In a lot of modern offices, it's sometimes easy to tell who's part of the "ruling class" by their wardrobes: The jacket (especially when the poor worker is not wearing one) acts as a symbol of power. It needs to be clear that the larger figure has power, not just because of his imposing stature but because he's a manager. And in the end, many many of us are servants not to robots or monsters or whatnot, but just to plain old managers. This one isn't plain, but the idea's there, and the clothes help. :-)

Aly - Oh, yeah, I'm having fun. And I daresay it looks like you are too! :-)

-mike

03 March 2005
NICE concept, im unsure however, is the big guy going to be leaning over the man. Anyway I like the style good luck and keep it up

Master and Servant

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223447

Thread Closed share thread