Master and Servant Challenge FAQ/Answers/Questions (Update 24 March 2005)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2005   #61
Am I allowed to do a sort of homage to Star Wars and have some characters in it that look like Star Wars characters, but are my own interpretation?

please click my challenge link to check out these sketches and info about it

Last edited by Rudeone : 03 March 2005 at 09:09 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #62
Virum - 3D is allowed as a aid in the challenge. It's up to you do decide if the finished work should be classified as a 2D or 3D work.

crapple - Yes. Be aware of the forum posting guidelines, though. Read the forum FAQ for more info.

Silver Bullit - Use whatever method your comfortable with.

Rudeone - Avoid using characters, designs or ideas presented by someone else. This is a showcase of your talents and not a fanart competition.

Old 03 March 2005   #63
Thank you, Kirt.

Old 03 March 2005   #64
Originally Posted by Silver Bullit: The 2D catagory-

Can I do a drawing on paper and just scan it? Or, does it have to be from Photoshop, Illistrator, or the like?

I'm new at this. I have a great concept; however, I think (for me, since I cannot model people) I can convey such a better image on paper than from 3D package.

SB

Originally Posted by Kirt: Silver Bullit - Use whatever method your comfortable with.

so despite the entry not being CG, it can be still entered for a CG Challenge? Or will the fact that it is scanned in, therefore being a 'pixelated' computer image rule out that flaw

Also, I wouldnt mind someone checking mine just to ensure its following the rules (also a mod might want to merge all 3 posts into one, sorry about that), link in sig

Old 03 March 2005   #65
TheCleaner - This is a digital arts community so expect that others who will be judging your work will expect the image to be of some sort of digital media. If you're used to drawing your concepts on paper before you color/paint, then that is perfectly acceptable. However, if you are looking to do a full illustration in traditional media such as oils, acrylic or watercolor ... I think your image might not be as accepted by the community.

I may be wrong, if it's of extremely fine quality and skill, but generally speaking digital arts will be more graciously accepted here.

I did look at your entry ... you need to submit your entries via the CGNetworks submit page. The judges will not likely look at the threads on CGTalk, but will review the entries on your submission page hosted on CGNetworks.

Old 03 March 2005   #66
okay im sorry if i sound like a retard by asking this, but i never entered a challenge like this i want to be 100% sure of the rules

my question is about the size of the image. For each milestone, do they have to be posted at the size requirment? and at what resolution (300dpi?) tje size im talkin about is the 2657x3636 (or the other way round)

Old 03 March 2005   #67
Not a question that will get me any answer...

Why do so many people enter these challenges never to submit one single post. In the last challange there were pages of such threads.

do these people send empty envelopes in the mail? *sigh*

(I forgive you if your ill or busy or dead or whatever, that's allowed )

or if you'd prefer a PS3 click here!

Old 03 March 2005   #68
Originally Posted by sha$xl: okay im sorry if i sound like a retard by asking this, but i never entered a challenge like this i want to be 100% sure of the rules

my question is about the size of the image. For each milestone, do they have to be posted at the size requirment? and at what resolution (300dpi?) tje size im talkin about is the 2657x3636 (or the other way round)

No. The only time you have to supply the full sized image is if you are one of the winners; you'll be asked for it.

Old 03 March 2005   #69
I apoligise if this has already been asked:

I am planning on creating a 3-D image which also includes a heavy amount of 2-D Digital painting overlayed on top of the image to add fine details and fix little 3-d bugs and stuff. I see it being mostly 3-D at this point, but it could very well turn out to have equal amounts of 2-D and 3-D techniques combined.

Should I submit this in the 2-D or 3-D section of the contest?

thanks!
-Matt

Old 03 March 2005   #70
Originally Posted by Ephesus: I apoligise if this has already been asked:

I am planning on creating a 3-D image which also includes a heavy amount of 2-D Digital painting overlayed on top of the image to add fine details and fix little 3-d bugs and stuff. I see it being mostly 3-D at this point, but it could very well turn out to have equal amounts of 2-D and 3-D techniques combined.

Should I submit this in the 2-D or 3-D section of the contest?

thanks!
-Matt

I asked practically the same question (see previous page).

Quote: Virum - 3D is allowed as a aid in the challenge. It's up to you do decide if the finished work should be classified as a 2D or 3D work.

Old 03 March 2005   #71
2D question

I intend to enter the 2D category; this is a 2D category question.

I would like to build a very rudimentary 3D model for use as reference, and to perhaps use a rendering as a sort of "underpainting". Is this allowed?

Thank you for your answer.

- EDIT - it looks like the post just prior to mine clarifies this point somewhat; I'll assume it IS okay to use 3D "underpaintings", unless specifically told otherwise.

My website:
www.cleverevans.com

Old 03 March 2005   #72
People ... please read the thread before asking another question. Chances are your question has already been answered. And I really don't have the patience to repeat it again.

Thank you.

Old 03 March 2005   #73
my apoligise, I got thrown off by the topless question which came right after the 2D/3D question. I completely missed it!

Old 03 March 2005   #74
hi..i'm planning to enter the 2d contest but it's my first time so i have couple of questions..i hope they are not too stupid..lol

i'm having trouble getting to the main challenge page to read the instructions over again and been trying since last night..but anyways here's my questions, i would aprreciate it if anyone can answer it

1) u said one of the characters needs to be a human..i got that but does the other character has any limitations..i mean does it have to be a real object or person..or it could be something spirtual or psychological

2) when i enter do i start a new thread in the contest forum or do i use the sumbit entry option and it will take me there..also is there an order to post my WIPS.. and when i submit my work through the CGNetwork server,do i only sumbit the required ones or anything i do in between

3) is photo refrences allowed and i don't mean just copying a photo..but if i used photo refrences to help me to get a pose right or some inspiration, should i post links

4) the final image size is very huge and i don't know if my pc can handle it because i'm using an old one..when u say if i can't get it to the required size and sumbit whatever i have will that mean i could get disqualified

that's all the questions i have...i already started but not sure yet how to enter and do it right..thnx in advance

Old 03 March 2005   #75
Stealth Pharaoh - Lots of questions ...
  1. No limits on the other character(s) or object(s).
  2. To begin your entry use Join Challenge. Your WIP thread is yours to do anyway you wish as long as each milestone is done before the deadline. Submit all WIP images to the CGNetworks server here. For all posts without an image, you can use the "reply" option in your thread.
  3. Don't use copyrighted works or photo derivative as elements of your final image. You can use photo reference to work out your composition, pose, etc. But don't rely on it to the point where you begin copying.
  4. Do what you can with your hardware. You're still learning and getting valuable feedback on your WIP. The high resolution is for print, Leo and Mark will do what they can if your image is selected as a winner or to be included in the challenge book. However, be aware that low resolution images may not be considered.
I have been having difficulties with CGNetworks tonight too. Should just be a server load issue or backup. I don't know for sure, just wait awhile and try again later.

And good luck to you.

reply share thread